There are some things in the world I am not meant to understand.
I am now up to Q in LGBTIQ. Q really keeps you guessing about someone, which I kind of like. If they are male, are they available to guys? Yes, I know more letters have been added. I saw the following on BBC, so it must be true.
I don't understand a male transitioning to female and he/she has become a lesbian. Isn't that a full circle? I suppose if you pull it apart, he was a straight man who wanted to be a woman, and now he is a she, she still has the desires she always had as a straight man, that is for women. I'm pleased to have clarified that for you all.
It was so much simpler when it was just girls doing what they do together and guys doing what they do.
I agree and I am always angry about people with male equipment being in biological women’s safe spaces. I do not care what you identify as…just understand that a biological woman is unique.
ReplyDeleteBy the way Andrew I met a lovely young lesbian a few weeks ago and she told me she had never met an old one. I am 79 ….We did exist even before my time😂♥️
I cautiously agree with you. That's interesting about being old. At times I see an older lesbian couple, or even a single, and its obvious they are lesbians. Then there are the ones I am not sure about, and then there must be some who no-one would guess.
DeleteI'm glad to have grown up in less complicated times. Be well!
ReplyDeleteYes Darla, simpler times.
DeleteFor a while, I struggled with the younger people using "queer" because I remembered when that was a really terrible slur. But I have become a little more comfortable with it now, and use it as a bit myself, though never about myself.
ReplyDeleteJames, our age gap shows a bit here, I think. Queer wasn't really around when I was young. The word I hated was camp.
DeleteI never think about these things and actually don't care who does what to whom as long as no one is getting hurt.
ReplyDeleteRiver, nor should you if it isn't personally relevant to you.
DeleteInteresting thinking there Andrew. Let them do what they want and enjoy.
ReplyDeleteGenerally, yes Margaret. It doesn't affect me really.
DeleteBe kind, be kind, be kind - the three most important things in life.
ReplyDeleteQuite so, JB.
DeleteEasy answer for the male to female transition: Chaz Bono.
ReplyDeleteAs a child and young adult Chastity Bono identified as lesbian and had relationships with women. But then she realized she was transgender and transitioned to Chas Bono but his orientation never changed; he was always attracted to women.
Ok, thanks Bob. I didn't know the finer detail about Chas.
DeleteBut Bob, isn't that a female to male transition?
DeleteThe son of a friend went off to college and a few months later was living with his female girlfriend. A few months later the girlfriend announced that she is trans, and is henceforth He. Son and He-friend are still living together (sleeping in the same bed and presumably doing the things that young people do under those circumstances.) Son is now living with another person who identifies, dresses and acts as Male, but Son protests that he is still straight. The family has spent a bit of time in therapy trying to understand all of this - but not very well.
ReplyDeleteTP, it took two reads but I get it. It seems clear to me that the son is straight, and doesn't want to such *ick.
DeleteAll the classifications seem tiresome, but each group wants and benefits from visibility -- so I get the necessity of the LGBTQ+ umbrella. (I like the plus, which encompasses everything!) Some people like non-specific words like "queer," but others find their identities lost in that vague term. It's interesting. I like "gay," myself.
ReplyDeleteAs for the identities behind the language, I say, whatever makes people happy. I will respect however they identify themselves.
Steve, for some of us it is easy to ignore because we know exactly what we are, but we must have empathy for those who aren't so clear about their identity.
DeleteLive and let live. I like Bob's answer.
ReplyDeleteJackie, yes it was interesting about Chas Bono.
DeletePersonally I try not to judge others especially as I have one of my adult children who is transitioning from male to female and as her mother, I have always had an inkling that this would happen but i love my children and would prefer that they were happy with themselves rather than being miserable. If someone else wants to be someone or something else shouldn't their happiness be more important?
ReplyDeleteReading this is making my day Amy, and how we wish all parents were so enlightened and full of love.
Delete"It was so much simpler when it was just girls doing what they do together and guys doing what they do."
ReplyDeleteThe straights never found it simple, which is why there was and is so much bigotry.
Kirk, their imaginations working overtime, no doubt.
DeleteI'm so confused.
ReplyDeleteJust words, or rather letters Strayer. Meaningful to some but not to all.
DeleteI can't claim to understand what it all entails, but I think that's just a sign that it is simply not my business to poke about someone else's business. They are people, like me, and deserving of being treated as human beings
ReplyDeleteNicely said Debby.
DeleteI have to admit I find some of those letters a bit confronting and thats probably just because i havent been around those people but I try not to act like I'm bothered. Nobody chooses to be a minority, after all.
ReplyDelete