Friday, October 11, 2024

It's my money really

I became angry with myself last night for participating in a bureaucratic  process. I was a defined beneficiary of Ray's superannuation but the company would not confirm that for privacy issues. Whose? Ray is dead. I was put through the hoops of paperwork, including gathering family with someone who could sign a statutory declaration. All the company needed was proof of my identify and my bank details. 

Apparently Ray had a second superannuation account with a balance of $1000. Good, I'll have that too, thanks. 

Superannuation company said no, until you fill in more paperwork. It will be a repeat of what I've already done. The company has all the information. I am refusing to comply and sometimes a late night less formal email can work, and that is what I am going to do now. Publish and be damned.  

15 comments:

  1. They're so scared of what? International jewel thieves might fool them?? Puhlease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is disgraceful that widows/widowers are made to jump through bureaucratic hoops to have access to what is rightfully theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a heartless and insensitive way to treat a recently bereaved partner. Shame on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiss and spit. Good luck. Sometimes I think those bureaucratic processes are designed to wear us down. Which they do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's a "defined beneficiary"? Is it different from "nominated beneficiary"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not that the money would end your pain. But that is exactly why superannuation companies push their products - to help the grieving survivor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just what capitalist do to bury you in paperwork

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be nice to those people Andrew! They may be utter bastards but by kicking up a fuss they will just dig their heels in. It took me months to get what we were due from my brother Simon's pension pot. A lot of anxiety, a lot of emails, phone calls and recapping. I just did not need that hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The extra paperwork must be submitted because it is a separate account with a different account number. Bureaucracy is mind-numbingly tedious as well as ridiculous, but the rules must be followed if you want the money.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa. It's a rare thing to see you get your hackles up! You got a can of whupass stashed someplace? If you do, it might be time to pull it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They do make things difficult and frustrating for you Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't pass up $1000. Do the paperwork.

    ReplyDelete

It's my money really

I became angry with myself last night for participating in a bureaucratic  process. I was a defined beneficiary of Ray's superannuation ...