Thursday, October 10, 2024

A farm causes me hearing loss

I took many personal photos but not too many of the critters at Myuna Farm. We have been there before but not for many years. Last Saturday there was an incomplete family gathering for no real reason other than a day out during school holidays. The arranged meeting time was ten, a little earlier than I would like but it was only a thirty five minute drive away. 

The staff were negligent as both of my brothers walked through without paying. I was not pleased that my brothers did not front up to pay. My nephews paid for a family ticket plus, so perhaps they thought that included them. Well, that's the best face I can put on it. 

It was good to see family, especially the two year twin boys and their four year old sister.

There were many animals to see and the kiddies and some adults went on a train ride, actually a tractor pulling trailers, through the park and then later a short pony ride. One great nephew twin was eager and loved his pony ride. The other did not want to and took no interest. They are just so different. 

While they were away, I fed a gentle llama and fed a goat, who tried to rip the paper bag from my hand. Ex Sis in Law said one goat was trying to eat her clothing top. It's not like they would be hungry. 

ABI Brother disappeared early as he had won a free pub counter lunch in a raffle. I did not stay to the end as my arthritic neck pain was so bad, as it is if I am standing around or slow walking in the morning. It was so bad I just has to find a seat with a backrest to sit for five minutes, and I did. 

Everything seemed normal once home. I can't remember what I did for the rest of the day. Come Sunday morning, it was time to change the clocks for the start of daylight saving, three bedroom clocks, microwave, oven, weather station, mantle clock and wall clock. 

Every Sunday I put new batteries into my hearing aids. As I went to do so, I realised my right ear one was not around, totally missing. I thought it might turn up in some obscure place, but it hasn't. I called the farm and no one had handed one in, but they said they would call me if it turned up. I really don't have a clue where I lost it. 

The aids are supplied by Workcover, as I was judged to have some hearing loss due to excessive noise at work, so I won't have to pay for a replacement, but in my ears rang what the audiologist told me. Please never lose one hearing aid. Things always work out better if you lose both hearing aids, so I have a rehearsed story about how on the farm I took the aids off because of noisy children, put them in my pocket and they must have fallen out on the train/tractor ride, that I did not take. My replacement hearing aids will cost Workcover maybe $1,500 dollars, yet I make a moral judgement about my brothers avoiding paying a $25 entrance fee. Mind, I have been very careful with my hearing aids and I can't work out how I lost one, but as I have, I am entitled to a replacement. 

Here are a few animal photos I took. This fowl had feathered feet. Watching it walk around was quite amusing. I'm sure one of you will know what kind of chook it is without having to look it up.


Llama took the food so gently from hands unlike the goats.



I think this is great nephew Lucas mounted on a pony.


This would be the cousin of Lucas, great nephew Louie, who found the pony fascinating after his ride.


Ray would have been exhausted by such a gathering, as I pretty well was. Speaking of Ray, and it has been a while since I have cracked up, but tears ran down my cheeks as I sat today having coffee outside Leo's Spaghetti Bar in Fitzroy Street, St Kilda. I was overwhelmed with memories which I try to push away, but almost everywhere I go, Ray was with me. We dined there for a romantic meal shortly after we met in 1979. 

26 comments:

  1. I wonder where your hearing aid is? It will no doubt magically appear when you have the replacement.
    And of course Ray was with you. And you with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, once I noticed it missing, I had a feeling it was really really lost. I am fairly sure it won't turn up.

      Delete
  2. Grief catches you up when least expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, they are selfish thoughts. I was thinking of the places we used to visit in St Kilda, including where I was, and that life will never be like that again.

      Delete
  3. Oh those moments when that loss creeps up to ambush you.
    The kiddies farm fun day would have wiped me out, but I would have noticed a missing hearing aid straight away. (Deaf old bat that I am).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, I try not to think about the past, and I mostly succeed but at times the memories flood back. At the moment I don't really need the aids but I am future proofing myself.

      Delete
  4. Leo's in Fitzroy St is the best place for reminiscing about the old times. Even with tears, you don't want to forget any precious moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I like reminiscing but on my own, it was all in my head. Fitzroy Street is a disaster at the moment, with so many empty shops.

      Delete
  5. Losing a parent is bad enough but a lifetime partner - well I can only guess it must be a bit like losing a limb. We all talk about ' our other
    half ' , meaning I suppose that we don't feel whole without them......
    Look after yourself Andrew x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, mostly our better half, but not always so. Yes, I do feel like part of me is missing but as time goes on, I adjust. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. To be fair, you wouldn't want one old hearing aid and one new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, they are almost invisible so it really wouldn't worry me if they were different. I think it might be more about the pairing of the new and the old.

      Delete
  7. I would have been wanting to get away from the farm within 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Tasker. Had I felt better, I would have really enjoyed it. I did actually enjoy it. It was nice to see the kiddies.

      Delete
  8. I love watching kids interact with animals.
    Of course you are still going to have moments. And Ray will be with you for the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Merlot, like the great in the last photo. He was only inches away from the pony's snout.

      Delete
  9. I would think a family plus ticket would include everyone in the crowd including your brothers. Beware of goats! They eat everything. EVERYTHING!
    Memories of Ray are always going to pop up when you do things you used to do together. It gets easier as the years go by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the lad issuing tickets did not seem too concerned about getting it right and he was very pleasant. Yes, I learnt a lesson about goats. It is almost six months now and it is getting easier. My idea of having a tenant has worked out far better than I expected.

      Delete
  10. Most of my uncles on my mom side where hearing aids. I'm sure it from being around logging and sawmills.
    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, yes, and no ear protection back then. I remember saw mills and they were very loud.

      Delete
  11. It's got to hard, everyplace has so many memories. But crying is such a good way of letting go of grief.
    Sucks to lose one hearing aid. Hope it's replacement arrives soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pixie, the suddenness was such a shock, but really, it was a good way for Ray to go. I still don't know if I am grieving 'correctly', but I do it in my own way.

      Delete
  12. So good to let your emotions out instead of bottling them all up. Take care.
    A mystery a to where the aid has gone!
    It's good to be able to take little ones to a farm to visit various animals, so many don't ever get the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. I expect my aid has been trampled by a goat by now. My nieces and nephews always had great outings to many places, including the same farm. Now their children are having these great outings.

      Delete
  13. If the missing hearing aid happens to show up will you have two full sets? that might be handy.
    It's not even six months since Ray died, early days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie, yeah, nah. I can't see the use for two sets unless they are colour coordinated to my hair. Most people never notice that I am wearing aids. They are quite discreet. Yes, six months on the 25th this month. It will be a step further.

      Delete

A farm causes me hearing loss

I took many personal photos but not too many of the critters at Myuna Farm . We have been there before but not for many years. Last Saturday...