Friday, October 18, 2024

It should have been a non posting day

Do I need to explain what is obvious to me? Staffers monitor Metro movements at the Tallawong control centre. Why doesn't the control room just have staff, who control things? Staff sound cheaper to employ than staffers. 

Station Controller Riva Shaheen, Chief Controller Daniel Merlino and Station Controller Nicole Radakovic. Australia has changed. No longer are station controllers called Mr Smith, Mr Jones and Miss White. This is good as it is a representation of modern Australia. But I would guess any Australian shareholders in the in the international company that runs Sydney Metro, are called Smith, Jones and White. 

I made a comment on someone's YouTube clip. I didn't expect two kisses in the reply, Thank you Andrew xx.

Do we root or rowt? 

In Australia we used to pronounce the word route as root, and I still do. But from somewhere, you guess and I'll point, the rowt pronunciation has come to the fore. 

I've just said the words route as as a path on a map, and root as in a tree root and my mouth movements are different. Root v. route, it is different, disregarding rowt. 

Have I breached your boredom threshold yet? I expect so. 

10 comments:

  1. US pronunciation seem to be winning, slowly . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought rout (rowt) was a disorderly retreat. Or a groove cut in a plank.
    But what do I know, huh ???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet ‘Route 66’ is always pronounced the way we recognise…..or is that only in Aus (and other ‘English’ speaking places)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you on root. Slowly and steadily we are being taken over though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard route pronounced "rowte" thank goodness, and I still use "root" to mean have sex.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't get me started. My Australian born children talk about sweaters instead of jumpers, use a rowt rather than a root, and come out with other inappropriate Americanisms!
    Route, it's root

    ReplyDelete
  7. 😂😂♥️

    ReplyDelete
  8. We normally say 'rowt' for roads, but you don't go to hell if you say root.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I avoid the issue by saying road or highway.

    ReplyDelete

It should have been a non posting day

Do I need to explain what is obvious to me? Staffers monitor Metro movements at the Tallawong control centre .  Why doesn't the control ...