Sunday, October 27, 2024

A Saturday Outing

It was a delayed gathering for Hippie Niece's step daughters, 9 and 8, and held at Minta Hilltop Fantasy Playground in the new extended area of the old country town, Berwick, where Ex Sis in Law grew up. 

Hippie Niece's Cafe Latte Coloured Twin Daughters attend the same school as her step daughters and there were many of their school friends there, along with the parents. 

The school student population is about 70% non white, mostly south Asian families, Indian and Sri Lankan and this was the first time a family gathering has involved a significant number of people from other countries. One of parents with a head scarf painted henna hand tattoos on the hands of children. Hippie Niece offered to buy some halal sausages for the barbeque but was told by her mother that they can't be cooked on the same barbeque device as other meats. 

I'm pleased to say it all went very well. I left before gift giving and birthday cakes...it had been two and a half hours already and it was after 4pm. Rather than playing on all the equipment, the children just played together and enthusiastically participated in and egg and spoon race, followed by a sack race, pillow slips used rather than sacks.

Here a few photos of the area. If you look at the linked website above, you can see photos of the park itself. My photos are of the views. 



Lovely views this way.


Not so much this way, with crowded in new housing estates. 



As I was leaving and saying goodbye with a solid man hug from Hippie Niece's partner, he introduced me to his mate, a slim hippie dad of two, with long blond dreads and a beard. I do confess I may have noticed him earlier. "Fuck man, your black nail looks great. I am gonna get all mine painted".

Back at my car in my absence a mattress had arrived. Gay men calling other gay men 'a mattress' was a 20th century affectionate insult. I hope there was nothing directed at me with this mattress being left near my car.


Meanwhile back home, Phyllis and Kosov just keep giving. Delicious and I left one skewer stick and one meatball. I worry about a lack of greens in their diet, and in mine now too.

3 comments:

  1. Make up a large salad just before you all eat dinner, then seal completely for dinner the next night.
    Keep it simple - tomato, lettuce, cucumber and spring onions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great day out for the kids and, yes, perhaps you need more green stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks and sounds like a good outing - and a good time to leave.
    My partner eats almost no vegetables which worries me.
    I hadn't heard of that usage for the word mattress. Thanks for educating me.

    ReplyDelete

A Saturday Outing

It was a delayed gathering for Hippie Niece's step daughters, 9 and 8, and held at Minta Hilltop Fantasy Playground in the new extended...