Wednesday, September 4, 2024

The famous

McEwans was a dominant hardware store in greater Melbourne. The late partner of my Port Melbourne friend was an heir to the empire, hence said friend is also quite wealthy. 

McEwans had a multi level hardware store in the city, in Bourke Street, just a little west of Elizabeth Street. 

At its street front, it had a walk of fame, that is hand prints of celebrities. At the Melbourne Town Hall City  Gallery, there was an exhibition of the pavers where famous people planted their hands or feet in wet concrete. Some have deteriorated but I am so glad the pavers have been kept.


Cyd Charris and Tony Martin. Surely not the local comedian Tony Martin. Perhaps Kirk could enlighten me on another Tony Martin. 


Sid James. 


Harry Seacombe.


Michael Cole.


Sarah Vaugne.


Jose Feliciano.  


Terry Thomas. 


Derek Nimmo.


John Inman. 


Robyn Annear, I simply adore. As well as curating the exhibition, perhaps not too hard, she is an author, who has written several historical books about Melbourne, her best known, A City Lost and Found, featuring the destruction of many famous Melbourne buildings. Also, the great podcasts, "Nothing on TV". 

18 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea. A hand (or in at least one case) a walk of fame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The palm prints stand out the most for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony Martin part of the rat pack Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis junior….now I have That’s Amore in my head… a crooner …nice voice . Dare I add when music was music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly me, I should have thunk before I writ… that was Dean Martin

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this interesting history!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whelan the Wrecker... I haven't seen that name for many decades. Thank goodness for Robyn Annear's A City Lost and Found.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pavers are a cool piece of history. I'm glad they are being looked after.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The exhibition of pavers is fun:) Have a grand one.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tony Martin, pre-rock pop singer whose got his start in the 1930s, and was still performing in Las Vegas fifty years later. He was married to Cyd Charisse, the dancer who partnered with Fred Astair and Gene Kelly in various MGM musicals of the 1940s and '50s.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing they have still got them but that is good as it's part of Melbourne's history - they look good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most of those prints have survived the years very well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will today's celebrities be remembered as fondly and as long as the stars of long ago?

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cool! I don't know all those names, but I certainly know Cyd Charisse, Jose Feliciano, Terry Thomas and Sarah Vaughan. It's like a mini Grauman's Chinese Theater!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I watch an Australian TV movie which plays in Melbourne in 1918 It was very English at that time and very interesting. I don't know the artists you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Buena forma de recordar el famoso, que siempre hemos admirado.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is something very cool about those pavers, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete

Metro Park

Melbourne's Metro tunnel will transform the way many of us get about. It will certainly do so for me. The tunnel will open next year and...