Sunday, August 4, 2024

Sunday Selections

Along with Elephant's Child, River and others, I am joining in with Sunday Selections.

It has now been repaired but I will guess one of the Metro Tunnel digging machine buckets damaged the portico steel work of this very expensive and posh apartments known as The Domain.


Rose Chong has for decades sold costumes and drag from her shop in Gertrude Street, Fitzroy. While she is white Australian, (UK born) her husband wasn't, hence her Asian second name. She is still alive and hopefully well.


Pretty.


The so called professional tram driver, fail. They have blocked a lane of traffic. 


Yes, I used to buy clothing at Roger David Menswear.


But I can't remember what London Stores sold. I think it was also menswear.


Spring last year, as the  Plane trees were just bursting into leaf. 


Just a window display I fancied when I noticed it. I'd love to have the dish at the base of the clock.


A cruise ship departs, taken from my balcony. There aren't many scheduled next summer season and even less the season after. 


Perfect exterior maintenance. Just needs a bush or two. 


When is bug season? Late summer? More likely early summer. 


I visited a German school to buy an advent calendar for Jo. Giving her an advent calendar of some kind  is what I have done since she was three, so that would be fourteen years. This year I wanted a traditional one and the easiest one to buy personally was at the German school. It was a short walk from a tram stop. Along the way I passed a tram electric substation for the former Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board. 


A very bright and very rampant bougainvillea. 


A token amount of tram track in Bourke Street, City, has a special mix of concrete with some sparkly stuff inlaid. 


If anyone knows how these vertical gardens are watered and maintained, please mention in comments. I can imagine automatic watering and fertilising, but is a cherry picker needed to trim them?  This one look quite lush. 

35 comments:

  1. I have often wondered about the pruning/weeding of those vertical gardens as well. I will watch the comments with interest. They do soften a building though and I like them. I agree with you about the bowl under that clock - having a weakness for glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, unlike a normal garden than can be a bit untidy and still look good, not so for vertical gardens. Funny that you too posted about glass today.

      Delete
  2. I find views of the sea irresistible, love the hanging gardens too.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, I would not like to live too far away from the sea.

      Delete
  3. Bougainvillea has always been my favourite. I wish it would grow here, I would plant it everywhere.
    My guess would be that the high rise vertical garden would have to be pruned from inside? Not a job I fancy anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, maybe not so much in your part of the world but here, it is just so rampant, and so thorny, he can be hard to control. I think it would be difficult to prune from inside. Modern apartment block windows do not open very wide, for safety reasons.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for showing me around your town which is in some ways similar to Honolulu and yet unique! God bless Rose Chong! Look at the kaftans offered by my friend, Honolulu designer Sisterface πŸŒΊπŸ“’

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cruising on a beautiful ship would always be my preference but it is very expensive. So watching the ship from your balcony seems a pleasure in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the less beautiful ships Hels, it is now very cheap. It is a pity so few cruise ships are visiting here in the future.

      Delete
  6. I like how you run the commentary along each photo. It reads like a graphic novel. The vertical garden uses trickle down water system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roentare. A graphic novel that jumps all over the place. Yes, I thought that would be the case. Maybe once a year a cherry picker would be needed to tidy it up.

      Delete
  7. I have loved bougainvillea since the first moment I saw it. I tried to grow one once but it didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, no, they won't cope with extreme cold and certainly not frosts in the growing season, which is quite long here.

      Delete
  8. Drip irrigation makes sense. That vertical garden is striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, it does, although how does it drain? You wouldn't want dirty water dripping down walls.

      Delete
  9. I love the bougainvillea and then the way the plants seem to drip down the walls in that vertical garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. I will see if I can find more bougainvillea in the summer.

      Delete
  10. There used to be a Policeman whom we called Cherry Picker years ago, he had a very long hocked nose. That cherry picker reminded me of him.
    Photos are lovely, and why hardly any cruise ships?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Margaret, while that is funny, it is also quite cruel. I've just checked and there is a total boycott of Station Pier by ships. I think it is a combination of the Suez Canal threat at the changeover of cruise seasons and an increase in port fees at Station Pier. It wasn't much of an increase though.

      Delete
  11. The bouganvillea is beautiful. There aren't many left around this area, some of the older houses and gardens have been razed for "lego block" townhouses. You get some lovely "bird's eye" shots from your balcony. I wonder if the cruise ship method of holidaying might be winding down, with many people that I know, and probably others, not wanting to get on one of those giant floating "petri dishes".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I would guess that is because they are highish maintenance to keep in control, and they are thorny beasts to cut back. I really don't know about the cruising but check my comment to Margaret above. I am not sure how many are travelling to from Sydney now.

      Delete
    2. Apparently they are coming to Adelaide instead. I'll have to keep my ears open and get down there with my camera when one is due in. The train from the city goes all the way to Outer Harbor.

      Delete
    3. I recently heard something about the Outer Harbour train line? An improvement in some way I think.

      Delete
    4. The cruise ships certainly are River. https://cruisedig.com/ports/adelaide-australia

      Delete
  12. I like sparkly concrete and vertical gardens - always looking for the brightness in life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep sparkling where ever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In my experience, vertical gardens seldom live long enough to need trimming, but that one does indeed look lush. Maybe someone rappels down the building?

    That's quite a colorful little bug, and yes, a nice glass dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, yes that would be a way of maintaining the garden. I've seen one go really bad but it was redone and looks ok now.

      Delete
  15. I'd take that dish too, Andrew. The vertical gardens don't do well here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I am sure it is about committing to maintaining them.

      Delete
  16. Do you have binoculars, Andrew, the better to spy on, oops I meant see folks from far away, or watch a cruise ship closer up, etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I do have binoculars but generally I take a photo, load it to the desktop and I can enlarge it there to its full size.

      Delete

Tram undulations

I've tried a few times to capture this but either the tram driver was driving slowly or a passenger stood up and blocked the view.  I go...