Saturday, August 24, 2024

Saturday Extra

This is urgent and I need your help.

I am sure I can still do long division on paper and solve very basic algebra formulae. When explaining something financial to Ray, I would suggest that we both needed to out of pocket by the same amount, no matter what the calculations were.  

Today I bought something for $40 and I had a $10 store credit voucher on my phone, so it cost me $30. It was my mistake and the product is unsuitable for my needs. I will return it tomorrow. 

I think I should get back $40. While I only paid $30, haven't I lost my $10  credit if I only get back the $30 I paid?

I suppose you want to know what it was I bought. I don't use cash anymore, most of my cards are on my phone. I need one bank card to use if my phone won't work (that hasn't happened yet), my public transport card, because it is not a normal public transport card, my driving licence and my Medicare card. Aside from cafe coffee loyalty cards, that is about it, except I also want somewhere to put an emergency $50 note and a spare house key. 

So, I bought a leather card holder that I later realised just would not do the job.   

13 comments:

  1. Presumably the credit related to something that you had already paid for and returned? If so, I would have thought that the $10 credit should be added to your cash amount of $30 for the full refund.
    Not sure of the rules there if it was some other type of credit though. Some of them here are non refundable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a store loyalty credit, JayCee. Yes, need to look at the fine print. It will be interesting to what the salesperson says tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Recently I bought 2 cans of paint which were on a buy 2 for so much offer. One of the colours wasn't suitable and the store allow an exchange on unopened stuff. I went back to the store with receipt and unwanted can. Yes, says the assistant you can swap but that'll be money that you owe us as that offer ended ( wasn't a long time gap !)
    This sort of thing taxes me tbh, silly rules , anyway I asked " can I just have my money back then ? "
    "Oh yes, no problem with that" she says and gives me back the full amount. Good grief.
    Good luck, I hope you get to keep your full credit Andrew.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might think of the $10 credit as a charged amount and so the amount should be returned to the card, or to you on a new card,. but I don't think they'll give you cash back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, absolutely, you should get the full amount back. As Bob said, they may give you back a store voucher for the amount on the gift card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A $40 purchase, a $40 return. Depending on the nature of the credit you applied, they may not be able to refund that in cash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh...You might just get the $30 and the ten-dollar credit for future use reinstated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Certainly you should get $40 back but as others have said it might be divided into cash and store credit. Do let us know the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all. It may be Monday before I return the product. Whatever the amount, it will be credited to the card I used to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if the store credit is a loyalty reward then you should get back $40, or at least a $40 store credit. If the store credit was a refund they might return the $30 to your card and give you another $10 store credit. Why is the card holder not satisfactory? Do you have too many coffee loyalty cards? Choose a couple and ditch the rest. I was a checkout operator and HATED those customers who shuffled through a zillion cards looking for their credit card to pay for groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should be refunded the whole amount, cash and credit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can buy some pretty clever phone cases that will hold your stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry for your frustration. I could not get cash for our local farmers market a few weeks ago. It turns out the credit union deactivated my ATM card because it hadn't been used in over a year. lol Oops. I still need to get a new one, in fact. Be well!

    ReplyDelete

Train walking

I was going to travel to Sunbury on a regional VLine train for the most important reason that I could. It was a twenty minute wait at Sunbur...