Monday, July 1, 2024

State Library 2 - Rennie Ellis

I published a post about Hazara refugees featured in photos at the State Library. I was actually there to see a much more fun exhibition, the photos taken by the marvellous photographer Rennie Ellis1940-2003 . If he ever took a photo without a human in the photo, I've not seen it. 

My expectations were low. What would the exhibition be like? Enlarged photos pinned to a wall? Oh no, it was so much more, with photos projected or on screens in a large size. It was just brilliant and well done to the curators.

I took lots of photos and I will remark on those who I knew of in the photos. 


Albert Park Beach. We often visited and I still do.


Probably Keferd Road Pier. The runner used to be seen all over Melbourne's inner southern suburbs, always topless. 


Like they need darker skin.


Tea for two. Do Aussies remember those ubiquitous mugs?


There were quite a number of photos from more than one Melbourne Cup, a horse race, and a public holiday for Melburnians. 


If you can't look glam, you can look interesting. 



Celebrity hair dresser the late Lillian Frank.




The year the carpark flooded, where the wealthy used to picnic from the backs of their cars, and champagne of course dahling. 


Sporting matches, Rennie could be there.


Music guru, tv presenter, Ian (Molly) Meldrum. 


Lillian Frank again. She lived her last years around half a kilometre from us.


The very naughty and sadly late artist Mirka Mora. 


Our Local Bearded Media Resident and now former politician with his then wife and the very popular singer, Johnny Farnham. 


Rennie got close to many famous performers. Sadly Tina Turner is history.


Jagger.


Molly Meldrum again.


Keith Richards.


I don't think Rennie was gay but he did like to photograph large gay events.









Protests for women's rights. 



I don't remember these anti Portugal demos. I guess they were about central Africa.


Anti nuclear protests.




Protests about the sacking of our elected Labor government by the Queen's representative, the Governor General.



Mr, All Prick and Ribs, Mick Jagger, again.

32 comments:

  1. Those immersive exhibitions are amazing aren't they? That looks like a heap of fun - with lots to see in every photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, oh yes, they are. It didn't beat the David Bowie exhibition we saw a few years ago, but it was good.

      Delete
  2. Each photo tells a story. I like that they have been displayed in an enlarged size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, there was a large slide show screen and I sat entranced.

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of those people caught in a moment in time from years past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, he also used to photograph street scenes including very ordinary people.

      Delete
  4. Those were the days! My mother, a journalist in a weekly newspaper, knew Lilian Frank very well and so I saw her often. Mum knew Mirka Mora less well , but wrote up her professional successes whenever the opportunity arose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, our late friend who I referred to as Dame (of St Kilda Hill) knew Lilian too. Lilian used to 'do' her hair. I wonder if Gwen McKenzie ever met your late mother. In spite of her name, I always had the feeling Gwen was Jewish. She certainly mixed in Jewish social circles.

      Delete
  5. Street photos tell the stories of times. One of the reasons I am fascinated by it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, I think street photography really has to have context. Rennie Ellis also took photos of ordinary people but the background of where they were was also in strong focus. This photo is clearly posed but it speaks volumes, https://www.instagram.com/rennieellisphotographicarchive/p/C2wRmAOL7mr/?img_index=1

      Delete
  6. He was a powerful photographer, and died way too young. He did one person protests about Melbourne pollution, I believe, riding a penny farthing. An interesting man. Thanks so much for this coverage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Boud. I wasn't aware of what you have mentioned. Further respect to him, then.

      Delete
  7. Mick Jagger may be skinny, but he still has the energy and moves to do his performances. I wouldn't mind photographing gay events, the costumes and colours would be worth the time and trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jagger does, River. He is amazingly fit. I did once photograph a gay event, dinner with performers and lots of drag. I think it was just before digital cameras. I just went up to strangers and told them how terrific they looked and would they be ok with me taking a photo. It wasn't just of drag queens, ordinary people too, like a gay boy with his mother at a table. I had forgotten about this and I need to find the photos and publish them at an appropriate site.

      Delete
  8. This is history - snapshots of dress, fashion, history - irreplaceable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, so wonderful that it was captured. There must be gems of photos taken now that tell the history of now, but how to find them among thousands of photos people take now.

      Delete
  9. Isn't that good someone captured decent photos of our history.
    I recognize several in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, yes. You take a photo of a precise time in history, and where that photo was taken will change. Writing is great history too, but a very inaccurate history.

      Delete
  10. Photos with humans in them have definitely more life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Pradeep, and it was good to see people in your last blog post.

      Delete
  11. Most of my photos avoid people. This is a great collection, it shows history and culture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fascinating photos, most of the time I prefer a photo exhibition over a Paintings one.......
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, I agree with you. I've always liked photos.

      Delete
  13. A lot of history in those photos Andrew. I was curious about the anti Portugal photos, it must have been around the time the Portuguese colonies in Southern Africa or maybe even East Timor were asking for their independence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sami, I don't remember agitation about East Timor's independence, but I have something in the back of my mind about Africa.

      Delete
  14. It looks like a wonderful exhibit. I bet you spent a lot of time there, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I did, longer than I thought I would, much longer.

      Delete
  15. Awesome! I'm reminded of the time we visited the Andy Warhol museum in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania here in the United States. There was an interesting video display, fascinating family history, and some interactive exhibits along with the amazing art. One floor was closed for renovations but our relatives moved out of that state so we're not likely to return. ~sigh~ Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darla, that would have been a good museum to see. It is a wonder that there hasn't been, well here, a travelling exhibition about Warhol.

      Delete

Aussie Quiz

Yorkshire Pudding writes a weekly quiz, that often makes me feel poorly educated. However, it is a bit of fun. Obviously Australians will d...