Thursday, June 13, 2024

DIY

Must go on. Got to keep the place to a standard, as Ray would say. But then of late as we ummed and ahed about the painting, carpet and bathroom regrouting, he suggested we should go shabby chic.

When the cleaners were here a couple of weeks ago, the man ripped the seal off my shower door to clean it. Pointless really and he broke it. As you can see, it had yellowed as well. He put it back cleaner but didn't say he had broken it. 

I took the damaged one with me to the big green shed, deliberately choosing to visit when the sausage sizzle run by each weekend a different volunteer organisation operates, and naturally bought one. I felt like another one when I was leaving but I resisted. 

The seals were a bit hard to find, but I did. Oh, is it 8mm or 10mm, as these were the options. I carefully matched up the old one to the 8mm one, and I was sure that would fit. Cost, $13. Happy.

Once home I cut it down to size and pushed it into place. While my shower door opens in or out, opening out was best but for the seal to be in the correct place when showering, the flap part need to face into the shower. It wouldn't as the seal was large and didn't give much, and so I put it on backwards as a temporary fix, making the door usable at least.

I called the company who supplied and fitted the bathroom furniture and it has moved stores. Nah, not driving all the way to Ringwood. They can post it. Staff brought up the information from when the work was done and she straight away knew what I needed, but ouch, $20 plus $10 postage. Well, I have to have it. 

Normally if it is sent by Australia Post and you aren't home  to receive it, it is left at the post office, which is across the road from us. It should have arrived and I checked using the tracking facility and it was at the post office. A card should have been left in my mailbox but it wasn't. When I collected it, staff wanted to see my ID, which I showed, but it wasn't there under my surname and neither of the first names I'm known by. Staff asked for the tracking number, which I showed in an email on my phone, still puzzlement. Then as was about to close the email, I noticed the information from the job  seven years ago was in Ray's name and that is who it was sent to. Duh. Proof of address was now needed. I apologised to staff.

It was in a tube, capped and taped, with the seal wrapped in bubble wrap. (Hey, I can pop bubble wrap at home with no one to complain.) I thought the postage cost and the good packaging, perhaps $10 wasn't so bad.

This seal was a tight fit to get on, but just perfect. I was happy.

The old one on the right, the chunky one that did not work in the centre and the new perfect strip on the left.

Two days ago we had a howling northerly wind, which knocked out power in one area. It disturbed the sleep of my neighbour HH who is on the north eastern corner of the building. Me on the south eastern side, was quite unaware and I slept soundly. 

It was a different situation the next night, with squalls coming across the bay from the south west. Twice heavy showers beat against one of my bedroom windows and woke me. Wind from that direction at that strength only happens in winter. Every year the same things happens, a terrible draught comes in under the balcony door. My lounge chair is a bit over a metre away and I can feel the draught. I've looked online at options to seal the door at the base but I found nothing suitable. 

I know. An old fashioned solution, a sausage dog. The store I call Big Trouble You had several different types but they were all 90cm and not the 110cm I needed. I had to visit South Yarra today to buy some meals, so firstly I went to the store. I eventually found them, quite logically with door mats, and while they didn't seem to have the expensive ones I saw online, they had the cheap type, just over $5. One weighs just under 2kg and I had something undeveloped in my mind but and so I bought two. There was cream, black and grey. As the new carpet will have grey highlights, I chose the grey.  At nearly 4kg they were quite heavy to carry and then the meals I bought weighed around 1.5kg, I had quite some weight to carry and tram my way home.  

I made them a bit tidier than when I took this photo, but it seems I will have to do some cutting and sewing to turn two draft excluders into one. Do they work? Oh  yes. Brilliant, and although the sliding door rests against them, they don't interfere with the door's operation. When they aren't needed, most of the time, I can put them beside my armchair, almost invisible.  

53 comments:

  1. Some good DIY going there! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except Boud, the shower seal fitting has done my back in. It will take a couple of days to come good.

      Delete
  2. Making things comfortable and efficient is not straightforward. I hope you've found the right solution . . . till the next time. Life's a bugger, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Constant challenges JB, and no one to really help, despite countless offers. They are things I must do on my own.

      Delete
  3. It is amazing what we can do when the need arises.
    When we moved house I had a few old sofa throws that were surplus to requirements. I rolled them all up together into a sausage and sewed along the edge and now have a nice chunky draught excluder for our big old church front door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, while English homes seem so well sealed, sealing up an old church must be difficult. Simple old methods can work but no stuffing newspapers into cracks though, hey.

      Delete
  4. Well done you. We avoid the shed at sausage sizzle time because there are more people there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, avoiding people for health concerns? Or uncomfortable among many people? For me the benefit of a sausage in bread outweighs all.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, those shower seals can be a nightmare, and I don't think they should ever be removed for cleaning ........getting the blasted things back on.......aargh! I remember a few years back seeing a bit of foam pipe insulation being used as a stand in shower seal, not very pretty but it worked. Why hasn't someone invented a better system by now? Rant over.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, I seem to have hurt my back because of the force needed to get the seal in place. I should always think about my body before embarking on stuff like that. Better showers have been invented, walk in showers, no door, but they take up space.

      Delete
  6. I would have lost my temper towards the cleaner that did it to your seal. Doing winter clean is harder than summer clean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, I know what you are saying, but I am happy to have a nice and clean new seal. You are right about cold weather cleaning.

      Delete
  7. Well done. It's so satisfying when something gets fixed properly. I had a filthy pillow and found some old fabric that matched the drapes. Only took about fifteen minutes and now I have a new pillow and it matches the drapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pixie, I would have thought about such a project for weeks, considered the implications, planned it, and then did it, full of uncertainty. I'm doing exactly that with the planning of making one draft stopper from two.

      Delete
    2. Those things are stuffed with sand. I recommend two rows of stitching a half inch apart (or more) and cutting between those rows, so you aren't left with an open edge dribbling sand everywhere.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you have productive activities and wish you great success on all. Hugs, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darla. You are so sweet.

      Delete
    2. My husband might disagree. ;) Well, not all the time. He and I make a good team. lol

      Delete
  9. If the house is empty when a parcel is being delivered, they absolutely should leave a note and should leave the parcel at the closest Post Office. Afterall more people seem to buying on line these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I think Aus Post is trying to push us towards relying on tracking numbers, rather than the more labour intensive card in our letterboxes.

      Delete
  10. I have seen charities that I never imagined, even less thought conceivably charitable, running Bunnings sausage sizzles. But if I have to go I do like to console myself with a sanger.

    Internet shopping is all the rage these days isn't it? I prefer to go to a shop and see what I am getting, in part because I am too impatient to await the delivery. But many physical shops have been driven out of business so now an online purchase is the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, it always interesting to learn what charity is fund raising.
      I too prefer to personally shop, if it is practical. I once bought jeans over the internet from the US many years ago, at a decently cheaper price than they are sold at here. They just didn't quite fit right, even though they were the same size and style. Under Covid restrictions I bought a dressing gown from the US. Disaster, and I threw it out. No more online clothing for me, unless it is from the local store.

      Delete
  11. I have a suspicion that some of these contracted aussie post dudes don't even attempt delivery hence no card. It happened too many times when we lived in Langwarrin. The actual postie knew us well and would even return to deliver something if we weren't home the first time round. I think it was more so he could pat the dogs.
    Where did you put the onions?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another post where you reveal yourself to be quite the handyman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have plumbing problems Kirk? I can help you with that.

      Delete
  13. I knitted door snakes for daughter and I when I lived in my last home. They worked really well to keep out the under door drafts and keep in the heat from the wood stoves.
    Well done on the completion of the to do items. It seems I always got those glass shower doors in houses, etc. and always removed them. I can't stand them.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW, I hate those sliding shower doors but my opening door works really well. The label says my draught stoppers are filled with sterilised river sand, as if river makes a difference, or sterilised for that matter. What did you fill yours with?

      Delete
  14. I have never in my life heard of removing a shower seal to clean it! I would be informing that cleaning company, not to get the man in trouble, but to make sure that he knows that you just don't do that!

    Good job on the DIY front. Handy Andy!

    Which raises an interesting question...has anyone ever called you Andy in your life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, he is the cleaning company. Husband and wife company.
      You made me laugh. I haven't been called Handy Andy since I was a teenager. I think YP may have called me Andy in the early days of our connection, but I dissuaded him. Andrew is not the name my family call me.

      Delete
    2. If he WAS the company, he definately needs to hear that one does not strip the seal off a door to clean it. Gads.

      LOL. I do not need to be dissuaded.

      Delete
  15. You've been busy and very pro active. So good when things actually work as planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, with a false start, all did end up well and I am happy with the results.

      Delete
  16. I remember rolling up sheets of newspaper, about six double pages thick and sealing it with duct tape, did the job well enough for several years..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I don't remember that one, but needs as must. If it worked, fine.

      Delete
    2. For draughty doors, not for the shower which never had a door just a shower curtain.

      Delete
  17. Move to QLD we don't have that problem in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done on solving your problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, good to tick off a couple of things.

      Delete
  19. Finally you made it ! That's another problem when the last invoice was on your partners name. In Belgium the wife keeps her maiden name, so couples also have two names ! I had problems with my car, finally I left the license plate on Rick's name, but put the insurance on mine. And then the sudden "do it yourself" and not leave it to your more talented partner ! I read your other posts too, I had problems with going out for a meal, nothing tasted, so I cancelled the invitations. Yes life changes even the little things you never thought of !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed my meals out with people, Gattina, especially as they insist on paying. I'm not changing any names unless I have to.

      Delete
  20. As a child growing up in the 60’s I can’t remember anybody having central heating but they all had sausage dog draught excluders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, I can remember the central at hospitals when I was young, especially where my grandmother died. Otherwise, you are perfectly right about homes. Australian homes are still not being designed and built for our climate. Raised houses in QLD and shading verandahs were known to be beneficial. Where have they gone?

      Delete
  21. You've done well. Not ever would I consider replacing a shower seal.
    I can sew and even enjoy it but in all honesty I'm probably too lazy to re-jig a draught stopper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie, I might also be too lazy to sew up the draught stoppers. But I'll get another blog post out of it, as I seek sewing help from blogmates.

      Delete
  22. Well done, It's amazing what we can do if we have to.
    I've got sausage dogs I made myself in grey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I should have asked you to make me one to the correct length!

      Delete
  23. Surprising what we can do, when we try. +

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprising how such a simple thing when young can cause back pain when you are old.

      Delete
  24. My favourite thing about going to those big box diy places is when I look it up on line and find that they have 5 in stock but when I get there an hour later there are none. That has happened so many times and even when they check while I'm there the computer says there are 5 on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the same experience Pat. A broken system though quite new. To be fair, staff here will check other stores and then call them to be sure the other one does actually have the product on the shelf.

      Delete
  25. Nice fixes found for problematic things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I am pleased to still be able to do such things, even if my back is paying the price.

      Delete

The week that was

But in the meantime much was happening in the foreground for me, and not all particularly pleasurable.  A gay guy who I know through work, t...