Thursday, March 14, 2024

Home routing

We have fibre internet to the building FTTB, and then from the basement uses the copper phone wires to the telephone plug where the router is plugged into. The router wirelessly distributes the signal to the apartment. TPG, the company we pay for the service doesn't use the National Broadband Network, NBN, fibre cable but has its own fibre cable in our street. 

Our download speed is supposed to be be 100 mb/s. It never has been but everything works fast and there never buffering. It normally sits between 75 mb/s and 90. 

Then it seemed a bit slow with occasional buffering. I checked the speed and it was down to about 50 mb/s. I checked a few times over the next days and it was much the same. I contacted TPG by lodging a complaint. A few days later I received a text asking what time would be convenient to take a telephone call and it was right then. I went over the situation with the person on the phone and he said he would raise the matter to a higher level, and when it would be a good time for an 'engineer' to call. I gave the times and he said it would be the afternoon, after 3pm. The call came at 5.45 and the higher qualified person said, I see your router is eight years old. I will send you a new one for free and that should help the speed.

About four days later the router arrived. We were hoping it would be white but it isn't. I can't complain, it being free. To say it was easy to set up would be a lie but eventually we got the desktop pc connected after many router restarts and a break in between for a bite to eat and coffee across the road. R asked if that was it? No dearest, the lounge room tv Fetch box needs to be connected, your bedroom Fetch box needs to be connected, our phones need to be connected, our tablets need to be connected and our 'fridge.

It was quite painless to connect everything else, except for R's bedroom Fetch box. The router would not show as being available. Fiddle fiddle, and we got it right. It took about two hours including the break to get everything connected, except we had forgotten something.

Come the evening R picked up his phone to turn the lounge and dining room lamps on, eight of them, with four phone buttons to use, and the lamps did not come on. Oh, I forgot, they are connected using wifi too. Another tech battle. You know, you set these things up years ago and you forget how it all works. With more arse than class, we got the power board to work and that gave us half of the lamps working. I am over this and it is time for a drink. Manana. I am teched out. 

While sitting on the balcony just before bed, clarity of thought hit my brain. Delete the other three connections, and start anew, but I was not doing it that night. Next morning, clear of head and fresh minded, I did exactly that and within a minute I had another lamp connected. I think the other two require moving furniture, so I'll wait for R to arise.

Once R rose about 9.30 and drank his coffee, he said he would help after showering. While he was showering, I realised only one piece of furniture needed moving and the other was getting into a strange position with some arm stretching. By the time he was out of the shower, the job was done. We had full lighting.

I never give up on making tech matters work. We were overthinking everything, and believe me there were so many obstacles that popped up but pretty well should have been ignored. I stepped back to get clarity of thought and things worked. This is the old router.    


And the new one. Exciting, hey.


Speed test using the new router? 98.6 mb/s. This really was first class service by TPG and it cost us nothing beyond some effort. When things aren't right, like not getting what you are paying for, you should complain and expect a satisfactory resolution. Complain I do, sometimes changing things, but not always. 

S'cuse I. Roasting pork is in the air fryer and I am so looking forward to it. I hear the electric carving knife in action. Time for dinner.

26 comments:

  1. To say it was easy to set up would be a lie. Heh.
    Hope you enjoyed your dinner.
    Oh FYI. I like your bio pic.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure did enjoy the meal Sandra, and there is enough left for another. Thanks for the compliment. It was taken about 25 years ago and time has been rather unkind.

      Delete
  2. I hate having to wrestle with the tech stuff. P won't even go near it so it is always my job.
    (Can you save me some of that roast pork?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, can't you dine on suckling pig cooked over a fire pit? The simplest thing to do when R asked me to connect his phone would have been to say yes. I said no, you work out how to do it, and he did. His patience with matters tech.

      Delete
  3. You really have a good speed going. Mine is at best 35

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, that might be just ok for phone 4G but not really for broadband. I hope you aren't paying too much for such a poor speed.

      Delete
  4. My husband and I joke that if he passes away all household technology will fail and vines will take over the house while the pets and I go feral. lol Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darla, example number #37 where the female of the household knows the tech stuff. In my family, it is generally the women who are more tech savvy.

      Delete
  5. Being somewhat computer illiterate I loathe computer problems, but things are much easier now than they were even a couplie of years ago so I fell slightly less inept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I remember frustrations with tech things in the nineties and it is a lot better now, but still remain a challenge at times. Do you look after tech or does Carlos?

      Delete
  6. "You know, you set these things up years ago and you forget how it all works." - This is an observation with which I thoroughly concur. I applaud your ability to get it all sorted but why can't routers look good? They could be disguised as vases or small statues of Queen Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grumpy old Queen Vic YP? I don't think so. How about Statue of David. The statue could be reinvented to have a prominent almost vertical aerial.

      Delete
  7. Wait. You had a conversation with your internet provider that actually solved the problem on the first call????!!! Whoaaaaaaa...too much for this Yank to digest. Here it takes several phone calls and a bunch of e-mails, and many assurances that it is okay, and it never, ever IS. And than finally, when they get tired of hearing the squeaky wheel, they send someone out to fix the problem. (After the squeaky wheel lodged a complaint with the FCC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Debby. I've had similar experiences to you with other matters in the past. Yes, always the squeaky wheel, and I've had to be that in the past.

      Delete
  8. Good service then. That's the trouble when you get a new router, all things to reconnect again, I guess mine is old now but we don't use a Telstra one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it is necessary that you need a password for your connection, lest neighbours use your service. Otherwise it would be plug in and it would all just work. I am somewhat surprised that the new modem fixed the issue.

      Delete
  9. I had to read that twice, that's how technical it was. Amazed, but happy, you got it all to work in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, I am pleased to know you did get it after a second read. I know it was complicated. I haven't finished yet. Tune in tomorrow.

      Delete
  10. I haven't the faintest idea how to check my router/download speed or anything else. As long as I can read blogs and surf around a bit I don't care much about super fast speeds. I sure as heck don't want everything else connected either. I can switch on my own lamps, all three of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, speedtest.net I think you use the mobile phone network, so if is around 50 mb/s, that's not bad. I just checked at 7.30, and my Aldi mobile service is giving me 60 mb/s. Like you, I don't really care about speed if things are working as I want, but they weren't. The number of lamps we have sounds excessive, so it must be time for me to take photos and show what they are, again.

      Delete
  11. We almost have a hot line to BT now called EE, well, the techy mister does. Just about every week there's a problem and Barry chats to various helpful, charming people. One particularly vexing problem was solved when someone discovered that we had been given the same IP address as someone else. We've had new routers up the ying yang, endless visits from engineers, then things work for a while, then they don't.
    You did well:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, I think we used EE last year in England. I didn't know it was the former BT. Nor did I know that it would block certain gay social sites, unless you said that you wanted open access when you bought the SIM. I asked R's sister for her wifi password and that worked fine, without censorship. Was your basic problem someone else having the same IP address as you had?

      Delete
  12. I can remember when the biggest tech challenge was finding the right typewriter ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember the tech challenge of a childhood sore wrist (settle!) from cranking the handle of the school duplicator.

      Delete
  13. What a techie you are! I would have no idea about all of those various things you have hooked up. I turn on the computer and it works and I am happy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I used to be, born of necessity but I'm not now. I'm just persistent. I like things to just work now, without trouble.

      Delete

Unexpectedly bereft

The most wonderful person I've ever known has suddenly died, Thursday night Australian time. He was kind, generous with a great outgoing...