Sunday, January 14, 2024

Queenscliff 4

Sister and Bone Doctor went off early by train to to the cricket at the MCG, armed with sandwiches, cake, water and a vacuum flask of coffee, along with a book each. I would need a very good book to attend a cricket match. Maybe more than one.

We picked up Jo at 11 to go to a farm to pick blueberries. Of course there was a cafe at Tuckerberry Hill Blueberry Farm for us to have brunch. We then collected our buckets for blueberry picking and down the hill we went. The berries could only be picked in certain rows, marked by flags. I didn't find it very exciting and I think when I suggested we should wrap up, R and Jo readily agreed. It was rather hot in the sun. 

I let R and Jo go in to pay for our pickings. R came out with a jar of locally made strawberry jam as well (delicious). I never did find out the price per kilo for the blueberries, but it was much cheaper than paying retail. I was never a fan of blueberries until I learnt that you scoop up a handful, shove them in your gob and munch away. The effect of the antioxidants within the berries was better than sex. (Really Andrew, don't be so silly)

Once back in Melbourne R was determined to make blueberry and apple pie, just like his mother did. He bought Granny Smith apples but kept forgetting to buy pastry sheets. About a week after picking, I just ate the blueberries. I don't know what will happen to the Granny Smith apples. Alas it is all my fault for not reminding him to buy pastry sheets. 

We drove on to St Leonards for a look see, and then back to the cottage after dropping Jo off at home.

We had a nice enough dinner at the very busy Queenscliff Brewhouse. Being unfamiliar with the pub, we got our seating a bit wrong but we will know next time. 

It is years since we have watched a dvd but once back at the cottage, with flat batteries in the remote control, I managed to make the player work with the few buttons on the machine itself. Open/close, play/stop. As you can see, it is a star cast and we both enjoyed the film. Interracial connections interest me and a posh London black daughter found her rather common white biological mother in the regions. 

As R took a nap, I went out to visit a beach area, the car park being an assembly point for when Sister and Bone Doctor married. I didn't walk down to the beach, below a cliff. This is the white lightbouse and a more modern construction that displays lamps. 


Memorials to many lost ships. 


Very nice views. 


Point Nepean. 


Point Lonsdale. 




I stopped off at the Queenscliff fort on the way home. A fort tour is 1.5 hours, too long for me.


There's the black lighthouse in the background. Ship navigators would line up the white and black lighthouses to enter Port Phillip.

34 comments:

  1. Of course it's your fault. ~giggle~ I so miss the ocean. ~sigh~ Thank you for this interesting post and great pictures. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Darla I really, really miss the sight, the sound, the scent of the ocean. It has been way too long.
    Blueberries better than sex? They must be an awesome variety I haven't yet come across.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, we are about three kilometres from the sea. We take it for granted but we would be there at least once a week in some manner, even if just driving along side the beach. Re blueberries, you know I am prone to exaggeration.

      Delete
  3. Umm... forgot the pastry sheets? I presume R knows that it is possible to make pastry from scratch? My dad told me it is a good way to clean your fingernails..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, he has and I have in the past. I can't remember how and I would have to look at a recipe. I've discovered our building's spa is quite effective at cleaning fingernails.

      Delete
  4. I found myself very hard to like crickets. The idea of blueberry pies make my mouth watery. The point Nepean must have a low tide to see these exposed rocks and reefs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, it is a boring game to me. Even a fan like Sister took a book to read. Yes, it was low tide with lots of rocks exposed at Queenscliff too.

      Delete
  5. I remember blackberry and apple pies. I think I prefer my blueberries as you eat them. Shoved in your gob.
    Have you been to Point Nepean? That is an amazing historical area. It is a fair walk but you can take a bus I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merlot, some years ago we went to Point Nepean when we were staying in Rosebud. We didn't walk but could have back then. A bus! Now you are talking. Sister stayed there last year, kinda of glam camping that wasn't glam.

      Delete
  6. Nice photos Andrew.
    We went to a Strawberry farm twice one time 2023 December then in January 2024 and we could have picked out own raspberries and strawberries but no, too hot and too old, we bought already picked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were very wise Margaret. Sister told me that a week later, the blueberries were much bigger.

      Delete
  7. Maybe it's your fault for not reminding R to buy pastry sheets, but I suggest if he really truly wanted to bake apple and blueberry pie he would have remembered and bought the sheets himself. You could buy some now and have R make an apple pie. Or just eat the apples.
    I have never picked my own berries, though it sounds like fun, I know my back would take weeks to recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, when R says things like that, there is something else going on in his mind, no doubt something I did that annoyed him. Me being perfect, I don't understand. I could pick blueberries without bending much. Fifteen minutes wasn't too hard.

      Delete
  8. A black lighthouse. That's unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, I think I read it is the only black lighthouse in Australia. Maybe the world?

      Delete
  9. The views in Point Nepean and Point Lonsdale are delightful, but why were so many ships lost at sea? Was the sea too violent or were the warning lighthouses etc inadequate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treacherous waters is a apt description I think Hels. The speed of the water entering and leaving the bay via The Rip is so fast. The first lighthouse was a dim mid 19th century oil lamp.

      Delete
  10. Haven't been fruit picking for years. Note to self to go this summer. I envy you being able to walk by the sea so easily. Not out of the question here as just an hour or so away but it requires more effort. I thought you would collect the blueberries to make pancakes and muffins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muffins don't need pastry. What a good idea Marie but too late this time. I ate them. There is the odd day when it is not too hot, too cold or too windy to walk by the sea, but it is a nice thing to do.

      Delete
  11. Interesting if questionable information about blueberries. I like traditional lighthouses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, I am so often doubted. I don't know why. There is something very special about lighthouses for many people.

      Delete
  12. Mary Berry's sweet pastry is easy, I mix it in a food processor.https://britishchefstable.com/mary-berry-shortcrust-pastry-recipe/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TP. This line puzzled me a bit, "Cover the dough with baking paper and place some beans on top to weigh it down."

      Delete
    2. That part is for "baking blind" as in baking the pie shell without any filling in it. The dried beans help to keep the pastry flat, but you can buy "Pastry Beads" now that do the same thing. I don't know any reasons why pastry would be cooked without a filling unless it is for a cold filling that sets in the fridge and doesn't get baked, such as a lemon filling which is cooked in a saucepan the spread into the pre-baked pastry to be topped perhaps with meringue which needs only a few minutes in a hot oven to brown it a bit.

      Delete
  13. Lovely shots. I never liked blueberries until my joy at finding them growing wild on my last property (I had over 7 acres of land) and fresh they were incredible.
    Weren't you aware you were R's secretary? shame on you!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW, I never though they had much taste but now I know you a lot of them at once. Apparently I am a secretary when he is in a bad mood.

      Delete
  14. I think I went to a pick your own apples farm once but that was it for this city girl. I buy fruit at the store. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, you are wise in my opinion. Fifteen minutes of berry picking was enough for me.

      Delete
  15. Well, I guess R can always just make an apple pie. Nothing wrong with that!

    I agree about the fort tour. I don't think any fort would interest me enough to spend one and a half hours there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Steve, but it still needs pastry.
      The tour might have held my attention for that long, but physically, I couldn't stand for that long.

      Delete
  16. My wife is a great fan of blueberries. Me, not so much.
    A film on DVD? That's interesting. That's going back in time! I don't have DVDs, but there are a few old CDs at home. But since modern computers don't have the option to insert a CD, I can't play any of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pradeep, yes, rather antiquated but we still have dvd player at home, unused. We also have an all in one AM radio/cd player/cassette tape player, also unused.

      Delete
    2. External CD/DVD players that plug into computers via usb cord are available online.

      Delete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...