Saturday, January 27, 2024

Having a laugh

After yesterday, I needed a laugh. Australia Day was worse than I thought and has been underreported by tv media, at least. 

Apparently there are a few words Scots find very difficult to say and they are especially hard for Glaswegians. I read that somewhere and then I was down the proverbial rabbit hole. I learnt rather a lot about the origins of Scottish and it was quite interesting. But you know me, in one ear and out the other.  Now I have to learn how to insert TikTok clips. 

Google tells me these phrases are difficult for Scots, but I can't see why. "Purple Burglar Alarm", is a well-known one that often trips up anyone with a Scottish accent.

While the second and less known one is "Irish Wrist Watch". The rabbit hole tells me it is about one of the origins of Scottish. Ryan is quite entertaining.  I can see how young people get addicted to TikTok. Of course his looks, charm and humour have nothing to do with my interest. 

In case the clip doesn't work, 

https://www.tiktok.com/@rsullivan1991/video/7149585358404029701?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc

I watched this TikTok by Ryan too. This one is based on the word beaver and is rather cheap humour but I think the word beaver with a certain meaning crosses The Atlantic. If you are easily offended by cheap smut, please watch the clip and then express your outrage. I am sure Matilda Murgatroyd Municman from Upper Kombuctor West will make her views known.

30 comments:

  1. I always wondered why George Bush couldn't say the word "mirror".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, I never noticed nor particularly care what he said. I guess many of us have words we stumble over.

      Delete
  2. I had to come down and express my outrage. Excuse the delay. I waited until I stopped laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a bit lost there - must be me age;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, choosing to not understand is perfectly fine.

      Delete
  4. Not Scottish,m but Irish Wrist Watch gave me a run for my money.

    I kept saying "Irish Wrisht Watch."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Bob. I do have to slow my speech down to say the phrase.

      Delete
  5. Love the witty post. I am always fascinated by Irish accent and stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, both the Irish and Scottish can be funny just by the way they speak, if you can understand them.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Indeed Strayer. Just as well you have cat or two to look after and don't have worry about looking after your beaver.

      Delete
  7. I am definitely not Scottish and even I can't say Irish Wrist Watch without a pause between Irish and Wrist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just did exactly that River but I can see how it is challenging.

      Delete
  8. I like him, have been following him for ages, he does make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's terrific Margaret. I look forward to seeing more of him. He has a very large....following.

      Delete
  9. I find myself saying "Irish Wist Watch".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, I reckon you have Scottish or Irish heritage.

      Delete
  10. I can't say "the Leith police dismisseth is".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasker, I can't say it rapidly but I can say it well enough. I wonder where that phrase came from.

      Delete
  11. I was in a furrier in Anchorage, he had a sheared beaver pelt that he encouraged visitors to stroke, it was soooo soft! You would have enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, do you really think I would have enjoyed it?

      Delete
  12. I hadn't heard that about "purple burglar alarm" -- that's funny. I think it's something about the way the Scots roll their Rs. I can say it in American English just fine. (Irish Wrist Watch, on the other hand, IS a bit tricky.)

    I laughed at the beaver bit, in spite of myself. The funniest thing was watching HIM laugh as he tried to recite it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, it does seem connected to the R rolling. I agree with you about Ryan. It was watching him trying to read the book was the funniest part. His timing was good.

      Delete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...