Thursday, November 23, 2023

Thoroughly Modern Millie

While I liked the convenience of just swiping my phone screen to make it operational, R convinced me it was not secure, which I already knew. Use a four digit PIN as I do, he suggested. Eventually I did and although I became used to entering the PIN to open the phone, I still found it a nuisance. 

Although fingerprint recognition was an option on my last phone, after buying my latest, I decided to give it a try. Nothing gained, and all that. It wasn't too difficult, the only problem I had was that in sunlight I would have to swipe the screen to find the finger print symbol on the screen to wake the phone up, but the more I used the phone, I came to know exactly where to put my finger on the screen. All good.

I've been observing people using their phones at public transport card readers and paying for goods in shops. At times it seemed to be more trouble than it was worth, with card readers not responding but when I saw someone my age pay using their phone to pay, that was it. I will not be left behind.

I already use Stocard on my phone for large company loyalty cards, thanks to a former blogger who lives on the mid New South Wales coast. That helped me remove cards from wallet. 

Again it was easier enough and an automated system contacted my bank and sent a six digit code to my phone to confirm my identity for both my debit card and separately my credit card and it was all done. I chose my debit card as the normal payment choice as I primarily use my debit card and so I have to open the app to choose my credit card. I only use my credit card when paying for internet purchases, holiday travel and accommodation. 

But I didn't actually know how to use the system. Does the app need to open? Does the phone need to be unlocked? A little online research told me the app doesn't need to be open but normally you have to open your phone. I also discovered the centre of my phone is where the RFID reader is located. I was set to go.

Do you want a disaster story? Sorry it isn't. It works and does so brilliantly. I guess those who have trouble paying with phones are using older models. Now a further discovery from yesterday is that when paying over $100 in a shop, I no longer need to enter to enter my PIN as I did when tapping my card. I asked staff why and she said it was just tech stuff and because I must use fingerprint or face recognition on my phone.

I love tech but believe me, I will always have my physical low tech cards with me. I don't trust this higher tech stuff and our phone internet systems, as was recently proved with many hours of downtime by our second largest telco Optus, owned by the SingTel which is owned by the government of Singapore. As seems to be often happening, the female CEO of Optus Australia became the sacrificial lamb and subsequently resigned. 

29 comments:

  1. Andrew, a question from yesterday please. From where was the photo taken of the wheel please. I never go down that way but wondering what that building is, and where the greenery is. Marie, Cheltenham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good question Marie, as I had to work that out myself when I was composing the post as I thought the building was something else. The clue came from the visible letters Lab, a Labor Party office or something like that. So, I was in a small park across the road and tram stop from the Waterfront City shopping centre.

      Delete
  2. I am distrustful of high tech. And outages. My phone is too old as well for me to feel secure. Yes, I know, I am a dinosaur. Glad it worked for you though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, we take what we want from technology. There are a lot who don't bother, but some quite old people who seem to be tech savvy.

      Delete
  3. I do fingerprints as security too. More convenient too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, fingerprint is terrific for me, and clearly to you.

      Delete
  4. I am far too distrustful of this technology to do as you do. Chip and PIN or cash for me while it lasts..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, that is where I was a week ago, aside from cash.

      Delete
  5. Maybe we are all heading in the direction you have indicated here but I shall hold out without a smartphone for as long as I can - until the day dawns when I finally admit that I have to have one. So many people seem to be enslaved by their phones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, I guess Mrs YP has a smart phone and does stuffs with it to help you. From my observations Australia is much worse than your 'North' for enslavement to phones.

      Delete
  6. It all sounds very convenient, but I will stick with old fashioned cash. I do occasionally swipe or enter my card and key in the PIN at the supermarket when buying considerably more than a newspaper and milk. Bag loads of cat supplies for instance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is up to us as individuals to decide what works best for us in whatever situation.

      Delete
  7. I see a few people paying with their phones, I see a few people having problems doing it that way too. I haven't ventured into paying with my phone as yet, but might one day..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, as I said, it seems to be people who have older phones who have problems paying by phone. Mine is new, as is yours and you won't have any problem after setting it up.

      Delete
  8. I don't trust high tech stuff because of my own limitations *moan*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, your comment here on my blog proves you are not so ignorant about tech matters.

      Delete
  9. High tech stuff is fine until the computers go down, then you're stuffed until they're online again. (I am a bit of a Luddite!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, it is quite some time for us that our computer has gone down or we've had trouble with internet connections, at home or when out. We certainly did in the past.

      Delete
  10. How old am I, I still carry cash, I seldom spend it, but I always have some with me. My successor never has cash with her. Just her phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, I always have cash too. I just don't use it. You have the issue of tips to contend with as well.

      Delete
  11. Sometimes cash, sometimes cards, depending on where I am. Have yet to use the phone app. In fact, it hadn't even occurred to me to do so until I read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, I'd say at least one quarter of transactions here are now done using a phone app, the vast majority being by young people.

      Delete
  12. I am a bit of a luddite and use cash a lot or a card sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I think 90% of transactions here are now by card, yet many retailers have the cheek to put on a 1% to 1.5% surcharge for card use.

      Delete
  13. Good on you! My husband bought me a smart phone for the first time this year. I'd resisted, a luddite like RedPat, but my previous phone was pure crap and I am so happy with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darla, at times some need to forced to update.

      Delete
  14. I use either my fingerprint or a symbol to open my phone. I'm a bit wary of paying via my phone although I have the app of one of my banks on my phone and often do bill payments or transfers via the phone. I love stocard, a great way to stop carrying around dozens of loyalty cards.
    Enjoy your visit to your step-mother Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't switched yet, though it's probably inevitable I will. I'm glad your experience was positive and yes, it makes everything more efficient.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't want fingerprint or face recognition I open my phone with design. That's easy. Besides that I have no government secrets in there. I am almost done have the apartment will be emptied by a company the only thing I have to do is hang up my clothes ! And I am so lazy !

    ReplyDelete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...