Friday, November 24, 2023

I iz surprised

Here is a couple of interesting maps I came across, displaying areas of heat in Greater Melbourne and peninsulas on both sides of the bay and they rather surprised me.


Melbourne sits at the top of the bay with its huge tall buildings pumping out air conditioning heat when the weather is warm, vast expanses of concrete and asphalt, congested traffic pumping out heat, a point where most public transport runs closely together generating heat, as those who use London's tube trains know. So why isn't the city and inner to the middle suburbs the hottest?


While it may be partly topographical, the west to the left is very flat, I put it down to street trees and large established parks in the city and inner to middle areas, principally elm and plane trees. I am not suggesting outer areas should have such trees, better that we use native vegetation, but trees are what these high heat areas really need. Also the west is generally a cheaper area to live with poorer public transport and long time and recent immigrants who either don't like large tress or don't have land enough for large trees. 

There is a couple of curious heat areas to me, the Bellarine Peninsula on the bottom left where Sister lives, and above the small other bay to the right, Westernport, encompassing the town where Ex Sis in Law lived. I thought it was her husband's son in law that made me feel hot when I was there and he was too. It seems it was just climatic. 

We're away for a few days to visit ageing Step Mother. See you all soon.  

18 comments:

  1. Have fun away. I suspect a number of things contribute to those hot spots, but agree that trees would help. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to start a Plant a Tree campaign?
    Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating! I hate mowing grass and wish it was acceptable to have native plants instead. ~sigh~ Your comment on why you were overheated made me giggle. Best wishes and safe travels, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting fact to know. Eastern burbs are more dense with trees comparing to the west side where it is originally swampland. The new town planning lack green plantation. I think I read somewhere on the news a few times. But plane trees cause most of the hey fever and asthma attack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The area at the top of Westernport Bay has quite dense communities and not a lot of air flow. It gets very hot and muggy in summer.
    Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does seem odd that the city area isn't red. I agree more trees are needed everywhere, but try telling thta to developers who merrily flatten everything in sight to put up boxes of flats and acres of townhouses. With never enough parking spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a nice time away.
    Nature is amazing with these warmer areas..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, more trees everywhere - the lungs of the earth. Enjoy your time away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stay cool. Buildings and trees make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are interesting maps. I agree, it's weird that such warm areas would be near the water, which normally has a moderating influence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I live in an old part of the city which is heavily treed and it is always cooler here in the summer than in the new suburbs with small trees.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish your step mum all the best. Old age is not always easy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Overdevelopment always heats a city up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I mis-quoted from the Mavis Cheek book. Will clear that up soon. :-)

      Delete
  15. Melbourne seems to be a place full of surprises! It is still on my bucket list.
    By the way: I do not believe in climatic responses - though Germans use "weather" to explain bodily impairments - an IF I would have enjoyed the situation you described :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know if there climate map of my area. I'll see if I can fine one.
    If I do I will do blog post this week.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are in the cool zone but why.

    ReplyDelete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...