Sunday, October 22, 2023

Sydney Day 2

After a good night's sleep I woke at seven, futzed on my tablet for an hour off and on, showered and dressed at eight and then headed out to buy a jar of instant coffee, milk and cereal. I added a packet of sweet biscuits and a packet of crisps, which over the week, only half were eaten. 

Once R was up we went out to buy wine for that evening. This was a nice welcome, and yes, R did have to stand there with his arms outstretched.


The jacarandas had begun blooming and I think peaked later in the week. This is looking down Riley Street from Oxford Street. 


Looking over Darlinghurst to Kings Cross.


The Australian white ibis, aka bin chicken, are thriving. I wondered what an ibis chick would look like. Well similar but they start life with a short beak. Keeping a proportionally sized chick beak inside an egg would be difficult.


Let's go to Bondi Beach, by bus. Most of the buses on the very busy route are long reticulated articulated models, and old and noisy. The hydrogen powered buses seem just as noisy. Some electric buses are appearing in Oxford Street and if they all become so in the street, it will be much quieter. I liked the cutesy image of a drowning swimmer waving to a life guard on the bus destination display. No?


The University of Notre Dame Australia! Really!


Brunch at Bondi Beach.


For the first time in my life I had a waffle. It was ok but I don't feel any need to have another.


A footbridge towards the beach over a car parking area, with its height being marked in imperial and faintly metric. The sign must have been painted as we converted.


Looking south.


A passer by told me this statue represented earlier life savers and how they would run down the sand while pulling a rope from a reel. Behind the life saver is the sand being kicked up by his feet. Behind the statue is a sunbathing lad with loose shorts.


Looking north. There were many more people at North Bondi, it is said where gay men strut their stuff. For you pervey fags, the scenery anywhere at Bondi Beach is good with delights to be seen everywhere. 


We were once so poor in the 1980s we drove to Sydney and stayed here. It was cheap and shabby chic, and only had a shared bathroom per floor but we never saw anyone else use the bathroom on our floor.

There was a wash basin in our room, which was kind of a good thing and not such a good thing. We went out to a French restaurant which cost quite a bit for the poor couple we then were. As a person then unused to strong liquor, I drank a glass too much of French vino and threw up into the basin in the room and then had to stuff all that lovely French food down the plug hole. It took quite some doing. I should have gone to the shared bathroom but that is not how vomiting necessarily works. It was such a romantic evening. 

The metal fire escape at the rear back then looked ready to collapse with rust caused by the sea air. I'd rather take my chances with a fire. 


Harbour views, our hotel host told us in advance. She was technically correct. 


But if we go up two levels to the recently renovated swimming pool and spa, the views were terrific. I managed to stay upright, which wasn't the case the next time I visited. 


This used to be called Centre Point Tower but it is now called Sydney Tower. It was my birthday soon and there was a reason to take this photo...in another post.


Looking down on the beautiful and lush Hyde Park.




Someone I know on the Gold Coast asked if I could take a tram ride with a mind to note tram traffic light priority. As R took his afternoon rest, I walked through Hyde Park behind the war memorial to George Street where I caught L2 tram to Randwick and back. I didn't think ahead well enough and as I returned, schools had come out and the sixty metre two part long tram was packed and I could no longer see any traffic lights. 

I can't remember seeing this reflection pond behind the war memorial and it is quite lovely.


The rear of the war memorial.


I remember these bullets from past visits. We are prepared, Putin.


A kookaburra had just finished a feast and other hopeful birds hung around but there was nothing left. The kooka then flew up into the tree to be with its mate or chick.



We had a nice and inexpensive dinner at the very gay Oxford Hotel after a drink first at the Colombian Hotel.


This a roofed area outside on the side street.


Smokers are catered for with this outdoor space.

42 comments:

  1. Thank you for this very picturesque view of a city I very rarely visit. You are right about vomiting having its own agenda. Many, many years ago I threw up in the back of a police car. I was completely sober but unwell. I still feel for them having to endure the rest of their shift in that car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, that must have been mortifying. I hope they just changed the car for another until it was professionally cleaned.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the interesting tour. Areas of Sydney that I seem to have missed on previous visits.
    My one and only visit to Bondi Beach was in 1968. It has probably changed a bit since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, I remember in the 1980s and perhaps even later that the Bondi Beach streets had a sleazy feel to them and it certainly doesn't feel like that now.

      Delete
  3. The train journey sounded stressful but by the second day you seem to have destressed and are enjoying the sights of Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, there was only one reason it became stressful for me and that's because someone else became frustrated and grumpy. No matter, it was a good holiday.

      Delete
  4. The murals and the bullets are definitely fascinating! The brunch looks kind of fancy and delicate. I was not even aware that buses are hydrogen powered in Sydney. It looks like a nice trip up there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, I only noticed a couple of such buses and they seemed old to me.

      Delete
  5. My beloved grew up in Sydney and considered himself a Bondi Boy. Each morning before high school, he body surfed on Bondi beach, but didn't have any money for a drink or anything else. Mind you, your photos of Bondi look much more developed than I remember from 1970.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe's family didn't know about sun damage so he didn't ever have suntan cream or a hat covering his very very white skin :(

      Delete
    2. Hels, it certainly is more developed and it just keeps on going.

      We all pay the price later for our parents ignorance about the effects of the sun.

      Delete
  6. Some interesting parts of Sydney I wouldn't otherwise see. I do remember the reflection pool and the war memorial.
    Still prefer Melbourne, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merlot, we always find new places to see in Sydney and its outer areas. I do feel Melbourne is more liveable though.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos, thank you. Like you I once had a waffle and don't feel the need to ever have another. the other brunch plate looks delicious.
    There is one big problem with electric vehicles and that's the silence, you can't hear them coming so people are going to have to look up from their phones when walking around town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I am truly surprised that waffles are not universally liked. I thought I would receive some blowback on this, but no. That's true about cars but the buses still seem to have a noticeable presence even if behind you. They aren't completely quiet.

      Delete
  8. Lovely photos, interesting to see them all. No one at the beach, it's unusual to see that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it was the quietest we've even seen the beach. It was before lunchtime, a week day and cool enough for me to have a long sleeved shirt and jacket. I can't remember but the swimming flags aren't in the photos so there may have been more people there.

      Delete
  9. Stalker
    I hate waffles and pancakes. I used to make pikelets for my kids ,made them from scratch . There were great to send to school for shared food with classmates. Simple ingredients but not gluten free or vegan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stalker, I like pancakes occasionally. Pikelets are so nice. Now I want some, spread with salty butter and Vegemite.

      Delete
  10. "We are prepared, Putin."

    I'm reminded of the book and movie On the Beach, according to which your country will be the very last to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, that is comforting, although the last to go does mean it is a delay of the inevitable. Here is a nice little clip from the movie filmed at our Flinders Street Station. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkTWGaDmW7Q

      Delete
    2. I remember that movie, though vaguely.

      Delete
  11. It's unusual (to me) to see a city apparently quite empty. London is crammed to the gills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, pre Covid London was crazily busy and just wonderful. Covid taught me not to complain too much about crowds and busyness. The opposite is depressing.

      Delete
  12. You "futzed" on your tablet? I hope you cleaned it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always cleaning my screen YP, frequently and often.

      Delete
  13. I was hoping for scantily clad surfers on Bondi beach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, so was I but there were quite a few sunbathers and sights on the streets.

      Delete
  14. as we settle into Fall and then Winter, with the temperatures falling, I am jealous of the sunny, summery beaches down under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine Bob, and the opposite happens of course as you enter spring, although Sydney is warmer than here.

      Delete
  15. Pretty graphic there on your hotel room experience! Your photos are lovely though and I liked these views of Bondi.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the bullets and your comment about them.
    I'm no fan of waffles either. Pancakes for us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, it is becoming a universal condemnation of waffles. Thanks.

      Delete
  17. The bullets gave me the shivers. Here your war Memorial would become a monument to the 2nd amendment.

    You know what else gave me the shivers? 88 gay murders over a 40 year span by gangs. One solved...and he was given an 8 year sentence. How does that even make sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, the bullets are close to the war memorial but I do understand what you mean. Yes, that was an outrage but considerable investigation has recently been undertaken and is ongoing. However, such much detail and evidence has conveniently for some, 'gone missing'.

      Delete
  18. My maxim is: "Try (almost) everything once" - so I can join you with the waffles - wether they serve them with cherries and cream or only caster sugar - they are often quite slack. At least after a few minutes.
    It is always a surprise for me to see (though theoretically I know) that you have spring now in Australia. Here autumn jumps in with some rough jokes.
    The Bondi Beach swimmer is sinking, you say? I would have waved back a cheery Hallo, thinking he is enjoying himself :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brita, that's not a defence of waffles then. I thought the Belgian connection would mean they are popular in Europe.

      We are told if you get into trouble while swimming, to tread water and raise your arm into the air and await rescue by lifesavers. I think the intention of the character is make people think as you did.

      Delete
  19. I watch now and then the Bondi Rescue reels on facebook. The beach looks prettier in your photos. Always in the Bondi reels its crowded to the max and hard to even see the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like all such shows Strayer, we are good at pumping out happy propaganda.

      Delete
  20. Thank you for this wonderful post. You made me giggle while enjoying wonderful images. By the way, I've had some not-so-romantic moments with my spouse. We just have to laugh later, don't we? I'm not a waffle fan, either, and they're everywhere here. lol Fortunately, I can always find something I prefer, like savory seafood crepes. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darla, I think it was considerably later that laughter came, like years. There is not one positive mention of waffles. I am surprised. Crepes are good, savoury or sweet.

      Delete

Monday Mural

Oh, these were taken back in 2022. They are getting stale. I took them when they adorned what is now known as Melbourne  Polytechnic. In its...