Monday, October 23, 2023

Old Signs

Here are some old advertising signs I've recently come across to add to my already large collection. Some old signs I photographed have faded to become illegible, others that were uncovered by a demolition have now disappeared with a new construction  and some that were there for a long time have disappeared with a new construction.

This was a great find. We once had three airlines, our government owned flagship international Qantas, our also government owned domestic (edited) TWA TAA, later renamed Australian Airlines I think, and the privately owned domestic airline Ansett, which went broke in the late 1990s (edited) 2001 post 9/11 after being bought by a New Zealand company, I think.


Exposed by a demolition. Sadly I couldn't see any more.


This one says, United Paper Bag Co. of Australia. Pty Ltd.


I think at the top the sign says, W Rayner Tobacconist, and below, Dainty Maid Custard Powder.


This one is in South Melbourne.


I am not sure if I've photographed this sign before. As far as I know the company is now defunct but it is a bit special for me. 


When my maternal grandparents sold their market garden in Centre Road, South Oakleigh they had substantial amount of money. My father, his brother a plumber and my father's father built them a very nice new house in North Road, South Oakleigh in about 1958. The new house was completed furnished with brand new furniture by Mother. The Axminster carpet came from Malcolm Reid and lasted until my grandparents died, some twenty plus years later. Mother and my grandmother visited Malcom Reid. The furnishings were Mother's choice and she chose very expensive. I think my grandfather must have been presented with a bill, or a cheque was written at the time by my grandmother. What I do know is it was not itemised so my grandfather had no idea what was spent on what, just the total amount.

I know all of the furniture so well. We had the french polished four seat extendable to six Queen Ann reproduction dining table with the gold embossed fabric chairs for years before we went modern. The three piece lounge suite was re-covered by Mother when she took possession and before Mother died, she had chosen a new imported from England fabric to re-cover the suite again. It will soon be delivered back to ABI Brother's place where it has lived since Mother sold her house. The lounge suite will be about 45 years old. 

And here at home the 45 year old mirror from my grandmother's dressing table hangs on our hallway wall. The clips holding it to its original now painted timber frame are original as are the felt pads under the clips.

27 comments:

  1. This is great social history. I love the way they used to sell quite humble products, like custard powder, in giant gable end displays. Your family history of furniture is well worth preserving, with maybe pictures, if possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Boud. I will photograph the lounge suite once the reupholstering is complete. Although we advised on the new fabric, it was not what we would have chosen.

      Delete
  2. I can well understand why the last photo is so special to you. And love that the suite will live again. They built to last didn't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, although the suite was recovered once, otherwise it is original including the cushion seating and backs which we used to make houses on the lounge room floor.

      Delete
  3. That mirror is especially lovely. As a child, I vowed to keep my maternal grandparents' home after they passed away. You can imagine how that went. ~sigh~ And alas, nothing of substance was saved beyond trinkets from auction. Recovering from that depressing thought, my extended family rescued an iconic sign from Northeast Ohio in the US by reaching out to a museum in Cincinnati.

    https://www.americansignmuseum.org/collection_item/bunny-drive-in-sign/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darla, I can imagine about the house. What a great sign rescue. It is good to have photos but even better to have the real thing.

      Delete
  4. It is very interesting to see old signs on walls - a link with the past. The mirror is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JB. Some signs are so old and of course were never meant to be permanent. Many lived on because they did disappear behind a newly built wall.

      Delete
  5. Stalker
    Great pics a lovely memories Love old signs on buildings. A few years ago a huge house in our area went up for auction. It was owned by a a shoe-manufacturer beginning with R , and their furniture which must have been made in the war, was cardboard like covered in beautiful fabric . The green bathroom was magnificent and the garage had parquetry floors! Needless to say house was demolished and .6 houses were built on the site . Malcolm Reid also had a shop in Adelaide

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stalker, that is a sad story. Parquetry floored garage...I am impressed. The company was an Adelaide concern but opened a branch in Melbourne which was subsequently bought by another company with the word (Victoria) added to its official name, but still known as Malcolm Reid.

      Delete
  6. The original old signs revealed through demolition are just like gems uncovered by discovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so Roentare. They often disappear again.

      Delete
  7. I love 'ghost' signs. I love that some people restore them on the sides of their buildings. I love furniture. The best furniture comes with a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby I so agree about furniture and stories. A few of our old signs are restored but generally they are just left to fade.

      Delete
  8. In England we call those faded old advertising signs "ghosts signs". It always gives me a bit of a thrill whenever I spot one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, we call them the same and I am not sure that pair of words was not in what I wrote. I too am pleased when I discover a new ghost sign.

      Delete
  9. I love to oncover an old ghost sign.
    It is nice that you have such reminders of the past generations in your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, and some of the old products, which we may or may not remember, are great to note.

      Delete
  10. TWA was American. Ours was TAA and Ansett went bust just after 9/11., so 2001, I think.
    I do love old furniture. Especially mirrors. They don't make them like that any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Merlot. I have edited the post. TWA...that was why I couldn't remember what it stood for. TAA, Trans Australia Airlines. Old mirrors with a minor mark of ageing works for me.

      Delete
  11. Things were made to last back in the day.
    Lovely mirror.
    Remember Ansett and TAA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, perhaps Sir Reg Ansett's calling his flight hostesses 'old boilers' is in your memory too.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Dora, I can't imagine how that works, but I am sure it is delicious.

      Delete
  13. It's a lovely mirror and I'd like to see photos of the lounge suite if that is at all possible. I'm glad your family bought quality items to last the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, once it is returned and I visit my brother, I will take photos. If I don't, it will probably because it looks awful because of the fabric Mother chose.

      Delete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...