Wednesday, September 20, 2023

I once knew a Manxman

I worked with a Manxman. I was in my twenties and he was in his sixties. He told me he was a Manxman and I really had no idea what that was. He was a reliable employee in that he was punctual for work but he was terrible at his work. He would be in the 'office' every second day to answer a 'please explain'. I can't remember his name, but there were the remains of a handsome military kind of man. He was always perfectly attired and groomed, and quite a charmer. I've remembered his name now, Alf Vary. 

Right, so here is my and your edjicashun. 

Forty years later from Alf Vary, I now have a nice blogger (request to read) on board who hails from Isle of Man. I have a vague memory of seeing a tram video online with a stark landscape on IOM. So Let's investigate JayCee the Isle of Man. 

The small island between England and Ireland has historic rail transport, so that interested me even more.

I was somewhat surprised to learn that IOM is not England but a crown dependency. While it relies on England for foreign affairs and defence, it has its own government and its own currency which I expect might be more useless than Scottish pounds in England. 

I wanted to see YouTube videos of the railway systems but learning about IOM was quite interesting. 

It is both wetter and sunnier than most parts of England. Its population is around 85,000. The residents can have an IOM passport or (perhaps and) a UK passport. It has never been part of the EU. It has its own language, probably a dying language like Welsh. 

The negatives? I can't find the information now but as I recall the general health of its residents is not good, with obesity being a huge problem. It is a tax haven for some and a good place to launder money by others. 

The old ferry to England, The Steam Packet made its last journey a week or so ago, replaced on a sunny and warm day by the new ferry, the Manxman. The following day the weather changed it was judged the new £78 million ferry could not cope and the old Steam Packet ran the service.

The Steam Packet ferry from Shipping Today and Yesterday magazine. 

The new Manxman ferry from Wikipedia. 


 Douglas is IOM's capital and the next largest city is Ramsey. From southern Douglas to northern Douglas you can catch a horse drawn tram and then transfer to an electric tram to travel to Ramsey. You can stop off on the way the tram at Laxey and catch another electric tram to the top of the highest mountain on IOM, Snaefell. 

Also from Douglas you can catch a steam train south to Port Erin. A Google map image of the island. 

Photos from Wikipedia and the IOM tourism website. This is one of the tram models to travel between Douglas and Ramsey. 


The steam train between Douglas and Port Erin. 


The tram to Snaefell peak is unusual. Rather than using a pole or pantograph to pick up power from the overhead wiring, it has what are called bow collectors. With a steep descent from the mountain it has a very old emergency Fell braking system. I read a little about it but I am not much the wiser.  I think it is unusual to have two bow collectors. My theory on this that if one collector for some reason loses contact the other will maintain contact and ensure the tram's, a later addition, dynamic braking will work. 

44 comments:

  1. Interesting. Some at least of himself's paternal relatives were Manxmen. I didn't know that they had a separate government, passport or money though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, indeed nor did I know these basic facts about IOM, but who does really.

      Delete
  2. You have done a lot of research! For such a small island, the Manx have dispersed to many places across the globe. Manxmen were highly prized back in the day for their excellent seafaring skills and many were nabbed by the press gangs. A lot of Manx families emigrated to find a life away from the fishing and farming.
    There are still Vareys here. The family name has cropped up in various local newspaper reports over recent years.
    (Although I have lived here for 30+ years I am not Manx, but I like to call it home).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most interesting JayCee, and of course Varey is the correct spelling. I am not sure that the name cropping up in a local newspaper is a good thing.
      I think you live in a pretty good place.

      Delete
  3. A great blogpost for promoting holidays on The Isle of Man. How much did they pay you to do this? Back in 2016 my wife Shirley and I had a nice holiday on The Isle of Man - somewhere we had never been before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, but you didn't meet JayCee? She probably wouldn't have liked you anyway. I reckon I could spend a week there.

      Delete
  4. You tell a good tale. The steam train looks so good from the era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Roentare, the train is great. I 'caught' a steam train at Flinders Street a week or so ago. Photos yet to come.

      Delete
  5. Hey, Thanks for sharing. I knew nothing about the Isle of Man.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, it was a nice post to research and create.

      Delete
  6. All I know is that manx cats don't have tails.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An interesting post and your love of transport shines through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, without the old rail transport, I doubt I would have bothered but I did find the island interesting in itself.

      Delete
  8. Learned a lot today! Did not know the Isle of Man was its own, um, island -state. Judging by what I can glimpse in your pictures, it doesn't seem to be overdeveloped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, no I don't think it is crowded, although there are probably densely populated areas in the major towns, as per England.

      Delete
  9. So how does this relate to the worker being a Manxman? Did he drive the ferry? Did he help with contructing them? or is it because he is from the Isle of Man? I'm guessing the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your guess is correct River. Just a personal connection.

      Delete
  10. The population of Isle of Man is only 85,000. So while I understand that Britain provides their foreign affairs and defence services, who provides all the National Health Care services; imports and exports; primary-second-tertiary education facilities; engineering and architectural experts; internet and postal services etc etc. Small and clean is wonderful, but services cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those services are funded by the IOM Government through taxes. Although, as everywhere, funds are running short right now.

      Delete
    2. Yes Hels, exactly as JayCee says from what I learnt. It functions rather like England but self funds services.

      Delete
  11. I visited the IOM a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It was easy to get to the different places on the island and use all the different forms of transport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, did you write about it? I don't remember.

      Delete
  12. That was a delightful advertisement for the Isle of Man. I think Jaycee will be inundated with requests now:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, do you think she offers a bed to strangers? Blogmates at least?

      Delete
  13. Didn't know those things about the Isle but do know my favourite cousins husband was born there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting Margaret. It seems people born in IOM spread far and wide in great numbers.

      Delete
  14. I should go there someday. Ralphy lives there https://www.youtube.com/@ralfydotcom

    ReplyDelete
  15. TP, it is getting late and I am weary. I will check out Ralphy tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm intrigued by the Isle of Man and hope to visit at some point. I know it's not technically part of the UK but I didn't realize it has its own money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, if you have the pleasure, just don't come back with pockets full of Manx pounds.

      Delete
  17. Like Steve, I was shocked that it has its own money. Did not know this little factoid. You are ever educational, Andrew. Jaycee has been holding out on us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well Debby. What was in JayCee's old blog? I was surprised to learn everything I found out really.

      Delete
  18. I think I slept again during geography because I have never heard of this place ! Blogging enlarges you general knowledge, I bed nobody here around me know this place ! (but me now)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, that is exactly what happens with blogs, you learn.

      Delete
  19. I didn't know the Isle of Man residents are called Manxmen. I toured it via google maps awhile back when touring some islands featured in mystery books I was reading. Those isles have trouble keeping women there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I would have thought both sexes. I wonder particularly women?

      Delete
  20. I have always known of it because of the famous motorcycle race that takes place there and since I am surrounded by motorcylists it is talked about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I had heard of the race, but motor sports aren't my thing.

      Delete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...