Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Take a tram to visit the dead

Today, Monday, I ticked off another tram trip to a terminus, the 64 tram to East Brighton. It was an ok trip with only the last part not travelled by me in the last four years. At the terminus I had ten or so minutes before the tram left to return to the city. I spied a good looking shop for coffee, Brother Brew, and so I bought myself a takeaway double espresso. 

Petty rules. I want to go that way rather than walk back and then forward again. I understand how to not walk in front of a moving tram or car. That way I went.


The cemetery entrance. My grandmother used to bring us here by the bus along North Road from South Oakleigh. The location of her parents' grave is entrenched in my head from childhood.


Walking up the main road.


Now a private residence there is some kind office inside, but it was closed.


Wow, there are some famous people buried here.


So instinct kicked in and I knew to walk right when I reached this Gothic mausoleum? After trudging up and down walkways for an hour, I could not find the grave and gave up. I am mystified. 


I sat on grave and got busy with my phone. Cloud storage quickly gave me a result, from 2006 and with R in tow, I then found the grave. The headstone has a distinctive shape. Polished brown granite headstones are not usual. In another wider photo, I noted distinctive things in the cemetery that should give me a location, but try as I might, I could not find the grave. This is supposed to be the Presbyterian area of the cemetery but there are now many newer Greek graves.
  

I gave up and the photo above was taken in 2006. Now I can't find the grave. None of my direct family would be least bit interested in the grave, but it is part of my childhood memory to visit my grandmother's parents' grave. 

A camellia in bloom does not indicate the end of winter. 


There is an organisation who will help me find the grave and I have contacted it. While frustrating in one way, it was a rather pleasant outing for me.

29 comments:

  1. Getting to our cemeteries by public transport here is a distinct challenge. And would involve a LOT of walking.
    I am glad you enjoyed the outing. Will you go back when the grave has been located for you?
    And yes, there are quite a lot of camellias blooming in my city too. Ours are in bud, being vandalised by the birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will return EC. I need to know and to reinforce memories.
      On the eastern side of Melbourne in the mid 20thC our major cemetery was Springvale, where my grandparents and many family members are buried. It even had its only train line, a spur of a mainline. My grandmother remembered taking the train until it was replaced by a bus, and still there are buses that swing into the cemetery. Another cemetery here, Fawkner, is also accessible by train. The newest, Bunnerong, is definitely not.

      Delete
  2. I am a bit superstitious, so I always avoid cemetery even though the epitaphs and the tombstones fascinate me for photography. Camellia bloom last a few months into Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cemeteries from those long ago days really are confusing aren’t they, even with a plot number and map from Footscray Cemetery it took me two visits to find the family I was looking for. Better luck next time eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a donation of $2 plus Cathy, the information is there for me with a detailed location. The information comes from a volunteer who has been researching cemeteries, particularly Brighton, since the 1990s and has been recognised for his efforts. I will sling a $20 donation.

      Delete
  4. Himself's grandparents are buried there and finding their grave is always a challenge. The Arnott one seems to ring a bell for being so distinctive. I wonder if they are close by? I know they were Catholics but that bit was full so they were buried with another lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, the religious areas seem to have no standing now and seem pointless. Aside from infill graves, most near my great grandparents grave seem to have died in the early to mid 20thC.

      Delete
  5. I love wandering around cemeteries if I have family there of course, but even if I don't.

    Ballarat cemetery was a historical treasure trove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too like reading gravestones Hels, but that was not my focus this time. I am sure Ballarat is very interesting but did you see the sign board list of famous people buried in Brighton.

      Delete
  6. I am glad you wrote "R in tow", too many people write "toe" which makes me want to throw things. Sad that you couldn't find the grave, is there a map available of the area you need to search? You could markit out with red texta and draw a bunch of flowers on the spot so you can always find it. I wander around cemeteries occasionally, but have no graves to visit, both my parents were cremated and flung into the sea to return to Germany. The rest of us are still on the sunny side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I can't remember who, but a rather good writer recently got a simple word like tow wrong. Being an old cemetery, there isn't a helpful map to locate individual graves. I will keep a proper record of the location of the grave this time, as I should have in 2006. So your parents always wanted to return to Germany?

      Delete
    2. Not while alive though mum did go back to see her own mum several times.

      Delete
  7. That is understandable . I can't remember how to get to places where i went as a child. My parents are in a Sydney cemetery and I have addresses for their graves. They were cremated but there ashes are in a rose garden and marked with a small stone. Cemeteries should have a record of where people are buried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, modern cemeteries have good records. Older cemeteries don't and it seems rely on volunteers to record such things.

      Delete
  8. Is the organisation that can help you find the grave an opticians by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, I'd rather be led by someone who leads the blind.

      Delete
  9. Went in search of my great-grandparents graves in Detroit a few years ago, the office gave me a good map, they should have loaned me a shovel, the flush marker had sunken into the sod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, while the cemetery I was at was well maintained, some old graves had collapsed and there were sunken markers and graves. Detroit hey. Interesting.

      Delete
  10. Findagrave.com gives you a grave location, for free. Hope your ancestors are listed there and that you can find their graves easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon. I couldn't immediately find it. I will have a proper look later.

      Delete
  11. How strange! I'm sure it's just that the landscape of gravestones has changed a bit and things look different. Glad you contacted someone to help. Seems like quite a beautiful cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, four large cypress trees have just been cut down. I think I used them in the past as guidance.

      Delete
  12. What a header:)
    It was thoughtful of you to try to find your relative's grave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, maybe one family member will want to know in the future.

      Delete
  13. Cemeteries are peaceful places.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Memories like that are worth cherishing. I hope you find the grave. And I should probably revisit my mother's. Her cremains are interred a few hours away. Be well, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darla, I have a clear map now with its location. A few hours away is a long round trip to visit.

      Delete

It's all about me

I've always liked this phrase and I wouldn't have a clue about its origins, the phrase being 'All over the place like a mad woma...