Wednesday, July 5, 2023

England 13/05

Last year we gave accommodation to R's great nephew and his betrothed. They were very agreeable house guests and we did take them out to the Dandenong Ranges and a couple of restaurants. They cooked for us once and they were no bother. I think it was October or September and still a bit cool. They bought a couple of warmer items while here. They were the best house guests ever, even if they told us what their plans were. Well, they didn't really plan until the morning of the day. From here they journeyed north along Australia's east coast before going west to Darwin and then on Asia.

They offered to take us out for a day. They are great company and it was nice to be with young people who weren't talking about ailments and old people's stuffs, but rather their futures. L, the woman, has a rather old car but that was fine. J doesn't have a car. He sold his BM Trouble You before he came to Australian on their world trip and has not needed one since. Like all drivers in the UK in my experience, L drove fast within limits and competently without hesitation. Soon after we left they were again away in eastern Europe for over a month. They will settle down but they don't feel a need to rush. 

This time we really did visit Cullercoats.

We had a nice cup of coffee outdoors at a cafe with them having something more exotic and fluffy. 






We motored on to Whitley Bay where J's mother, R's niece 2 and her husband and one of their teenage sons joined us for a fish and chips lunch. 




More on this place at Whitley Bay in a future post. 



A little of J in the passenger seat and a glimpse of L in the rear view mirror. They are a handsome couple.


They took us on to weekend market at Tynemouth, under a grand railway station roof. 


The market was really good with many original works of art



One of my wants when visiting Newcastle was to travel on the Metro train line. I didn't but I saw enough of the station, the train and the heavy loading and unloading to understand. It is a very basic train with hard seats, somewhat old but an efficient people mover. 


It was a great day. L dropped us back to Sister 3's. My what a big boiler she has. This heats water for tap hot water and for the radiator central heating.


The kitchen light was a bit trippy. One day a man arrived from the council and with an app on his phone, he checked the the smoke detectors and the fire alarm system inside her flat with his app. The smoke detector's alarms went off, all at the control of his phone. Big brother has arrived.


Next morning a layer of mist lay over the River Tyne if you were up early enough, and I was. 

34 comments:

  1. I hate hearing friends going on and on comparing ailments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, a brief mention is ok, but no, we don't want detail.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed such a delightful outing. Thank you for all the wonderful pictures and descriptions. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a really good trip, and some great photos too.
    The northeast is not an area of England I am familiar with (my last visit up there being 60 years ago) so I was interested to see your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JayCee. late May we had some quite nice weather. Newcastle and the whole of the north are really good places to visit and the locals really are so friendly.

      Delete
  4. It was nice for them to be able to return your hospitality. A Victorian railway building, fish and chips and a market where some things were not made in China. What more could you want?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, sometimes you really realise you are creating memories, and that was such a day.

      Delete
  5. That looks and sounds like a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, my full confidence that they would give us a great day was not misplaced.

      Delete
  6. You had a blast in a great company. The photos are a good collection for the memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photos are certainly great to have Roentare. So you don't judge any as being extra good? I am not surprised.

      Delete
  7. That kitchen light has an almost heavenly shine to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, yes. The shade might enhance a visit to a bar if installed there.

      Delete
  8. Most foreign visitors go to London. Stratford-upon-Anon, Stonehenge, York and Edinburgh but you went to Cullercoats and Whitley Bay! I rather like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, we ticked all those off in 2019. I really enjoyed our north England coastal visits and unlike about a decade ago, the beach side seemed lively and busy. In the past the seaside seemed to be dying..

      Delete
  9. "Home made scones and afternoon tea" :) I haven't thought of scones, jam and cream for decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it is time for you to take a drive to the Dandenongs for scones.

      Delete
  10. You had me at 'BM Trouble you'! (https://tentativelytasmanian.blog/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MM, I think I have store in my brain of derogatory car names, perhaps starting with Toymotor. and Found On Rubbish Dump.

      Delete
  11. "Beaches and Cream", I like that and a weekend market too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All good River. The market had a good bit of parking but hard to find a free space. Meanwhile crowds arrived and departed by the train. The latter was really good to see.

      Delete
  12. Sounds as if you had a good time on that day, the company also makes it much better too. The photos are lovely, looks a clean place there Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, generally England was cleaner than I remember it from past visits.

      Delete
  13. Young company is (nearly) always refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You right of course JB, but the relentless questions from our young great nieces and soon to be talking great nephews takes it toll on us.

      Delete
  14. The older I get the older a young person is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, that is a point but young person does have a age limit. I am just not sure where it is set and probably should be

      Delete
  15. My daughter and son in law spent a long weekend in Whitby. They face timed me and took me on a little walking tour. I got a glimpse of some of the wicker statues and the Abbey. The thing I find tiresome about old people is listening to them bitch about virtually everything. The solutions they offer are generally impractical, but boy oh boy do they have opinions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Debby, we do have opinions, that is for sure. Sadly our lifetimes of experiences don't add up to much to solve anything.

      Delete
  16. She does have quite a view! I envy young people the ability to globe-trot, though I did quite a bit of it myself back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I was always a reluctant traveller and I am glad R almost forced me to.

      Delete
  17. Aha! That Metro brings to mind a "Vera" episode! (Source novel: http://crimereview.co.uk/page.php/review/1125 )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow MC, I can't remember seeing that episode. I think I would have if I saw it.

      Delete

Just writing

It is over three weeks since Ray died. I seem to be doing ok. There seems to be plenty to occupy me, with dealing with matters related to hi...