Sunday, June 18, 2023

England 03/05 Pt 1

EC's guess at what we did today was a good try, but wrong. Unbeknownst to me, we were not far away from Crich Tramway Museum

We drove for less than half an hour and pulled into the monster carpark at Chatsworth House. Ever since I saw the tv programme Love in a Cold Climate, I've found the Mitford sisters fascinating and I've read a couple of biographies, as well as the original books and much trivia along the way.

Jessica was my favourite sister, especially after her book exposing the fraudulent American funeral business. Alas in subsequent years, not much has changed in the funeral industry.

Deborah Mitford was the last sister to pass die, in 2014, and lived at Chatsworth House by way of her husband Andrew Cavendish (keep the name Cavendish in mind for later) who went on to acquire the title Duke of Devonshire with Deborah gaining the title Duchess of Devonshire. Why not Duke of Derbyshire, the location of estate? The title was already in use.

No doubt the house is amazing inside but we've seen plenty of old and grand house interiors in our time. We just visited to see the garden.

We parked and walked towards where everyone else was walking. We paid a good bit for parking and then had to pay again to visit the garden. 

Armed with a garden map, we headed off to see the garden.Wow, this is all so impressive. We walked up a gentle slope to see this cascading fountain. We were exhausted already. "We can't do this can we hon?" "No." "One hundred acres of garden is too much for us."

But I had a cunning plan. As we entered the garden I had seen a four seater plus driver open scooter type vehicle. We returned to the gate, investigated the ride and booked. I think it was £5 each. We had a while to wait, so it was time for brunch and coffee at the adjacent cafe.

The access road was  moved, the bridge moved and rebuilt and the course of the river was changed just so that visitors to Chatsworth could pause and admire its splendour. 

By Rob Bendall(For more information, see my userpage...), Attribution, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6804943

The photos are a bit out of order. It has been a messy post that should have been properly planned. 



The house has been rebuilt, extended and altered a number of times over the centuries. The current Duke and Duchess of Devonshire still live there. Peregrine, the present Duke is the son of Andrew and Deborah (Mitford) Cavendish. I believe it was Deborah who set up the charitable trust responsible for running the estate.


The fountain is pressure fed by a lake above and so subject to drought. At the moment there is so much water leakage along the way, the fountain is only half the height it used to be. It will cost hundreds of thousands of pounds to repair.




Greenhouse.


The views of natural rolling hills really stunned me. Natural? Apparently not.


The hills were landscaped by Lancelot (Capability) Brown. Most of the garden design was the responsibility of Sir Joseph Paxton in the 1800s. Hels mentions him and Chatsworth in this post back in 2011


Ducks at our feet as we sat under umbrellas and ate our brunch.


A little enclave of modern sculptures.


See the glass panel built into the wall. 


This was once a beautiful and very tall greenhouse but by 1930's it badly needed renovation and restoration. Coal to burn for the heating was hard to come by during WWII and so it was decided to demolish the greenhouse, aside from the stone footings.


We were fortunate to visit in Spring with much blooming in the garden.




This path leads up to the water storage above.




We walked to this point. 


Then up this path...


to see this cascading fountain. This is where most of the water leakage occurs, and for us walking stamina ended too. 


More in the next post.

46 comments:

  1. thecontemplativecat here. Envious, here. What beautiful and well kept architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am envious too. The Mitfords seem to know everyone - ranging from the Queen Mum to Adolf Hitler and wrote to and about many of them. Like you I have read much of their work and plenty of biographies and autobiographies too. I would love to see Chatsworth - and yes, Deborah did save the estate when it looked as if death duties would cripple it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it was a very special day out for us. Thanks for the confirmation about the estate being saved.

      Delete
  3. Hey! My second guess (see follow-up comment the other day) got it! The house inside is impressive, but it goes on forever and is exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies Tasker. I did miss that. Much cheering in the background for the winner. No regrets about not seeing the interior.

      Delete
  4. This looks like a giant palace instead of a house. The garden is so well kept and maintained. Really a beautiful mansion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, I think palace is a fairly safe word to describe the house.

      Delete
  5. Well done, Baldrick. 5 quid seems a pittance to travel in style and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, you can be sure we will be looking around for a similar carriage in the future. Funnily it was at the Botanic Gardens near you when we first began to realise our walking limitations and watched with envy at people riding around the gardens.

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh...can you imagine living on an estate that just rolled on and on forever? The views were breathtaking. (Well done on the cunning plan, btw.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, the immensity of it is hard to take on. Maybe for your next visit.

      Delete
  7. I never heard of Love in cold climate.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful estate. Sorry to hear walking long distances is getting hard for you. Great that you got a buggy ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard for me Diane but impossible for R now.

      Delete
  9. It's all so beautiful and you were very clever to book a ride instead of exhausting yourselves. The newer greenhouse is HUGE. I love the stone footing of the old one very much. It must have been a lovely sight when it was a greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the link to Hels website will show you a drawing of the intact old greenhouse.

      Delete
  10. Cavendish bananas. Have seen documentaries on TV regarding the gardens, the fountain and so on, also inside is beautiful.
    Your photos are delight to see. A big property to look around Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Margaret. I had no idea about Cavendish bananas.

      Delete
  11. The current Duke and Duchess of Devonshire still live there? Yet it's a tourist attraction. A way of keeping up with expenses I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would guess there is self contained apartment for them within the building Kirk. The expenses must be huge.

      Delete
  12. I have very fond memories of Chatsworth. I took Mum there a couple of times. It was one of her favourite stately homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, and also voted at least once as England's favourite stately home. Your memories must be very nice.

      Delete
  13. Lovely photos of a splendid place. I've now got Noel Coward's 'Stately homes of England' going round in my head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, that is homes isn't? I bet Coward found another word in private.

      Delete
  14. I have visited Chatsworth only once many years ago. We spent the whole day there and still didn't get to see it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, yes, I can imagine there is too much to see for anyone in one day. We had a good overview.

      Delete
  15. Chatsworth is just ten miles from this keyboard and I have walked all over the estate. The craftsmanship inside Chatsworth House outdoes any other stately home in England. At the estate village of Edensor, John F. Kennedy's sister is buried. He visited that grave in 1963 - a few months before he was assassinated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, your proximity was given some thought by me. Yes, I remember the JFK connection but it had slipped my mind.

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. TP, you should. Start with the best first by seeing this house first.

      Delete
  17. Those greenhouses were spectacular, especially those overlooking endless views. When I think about our years living in Britain, I disliked the weather but my goodness I loved the homes with semi rural landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it is just such a beautiful country with distant history wherever you are.

      Delete
  18. Well, this post sent me down a rabbit hole to read about the Mitfords, because while I remembered Nancy and Jessica and Diana, I hadn't remembered Deborah. (Or Unity or Pamela. Or Tom, who had a schoolboy romance with James Lees-Milne, whose diaries sound fascinating. See? I really WAS down a rabbit hole!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I had forgotten about Tom's 'dalliance'. He was an interesting person in himself. Yes, quite a rabbit hole you went down.

      Delete
  19. I've read much of the Mitfords as well, A fascinating family and very, very gifted. Did you find out where the wealth of the Devonshire estate was based? It seemed enormous, moving hills and rivers, etc. Surely land alone would not endow them with so much. I'm guessing colonial shenanigans.
    Great post Andrew.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW, I would imagine from farming and there was a corn mill on the property. Maybe a grant of land from a king to a favourite. Queen Bess was one of the originals and she did not come from aristocracy.

      Delete
  20. I have never been there but it looks well worth a visit if I ever get over to England again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing these awesome images. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Impressive architecture, and beautiful place. Lovely photos!
    (My latest post: What happened to my previous post)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very beautiful, Pradeep. Yes, I don't recall reading the airline cost post.

      Delete
  23. That's very beautiful and well kept despite its age. I would love to see it. I would take a cart tour too and not walk, at this point.

    ReplyDelete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...