Thursday, April 13, 2023

Bike separation

Proper separation between cyclists is a good thing. Raised concrete strips beside the cyclists, with then parked cars and moving traffic lanes ensure safety for cyclists with no risk of being 'doored' by someone leaving their car.  

The bike separation lanes have been built in most of St Kilda Road, the most dangerous street for cyclists in the city. They are soon to be installed in front of our building but because of the lack of width because of the platform tram stop, we will lose parking in front of our building. I am not a road engineer and I found it difficult to imagine how it could all work. I protested to the relevant authority about the loss of about ten car spaces, including a disabled space. The reply was, it is either parking goes or about five mature London plane trees. Well, how do argue 'take the trees'. The parking makes little difference to us as we have two spaces in the carpark and it is a long time since we have had multiple visitors. There is parking in nearby side streets. 

The same is happening on the other side of the road but in the meantime the temporary bike lane separates bikes from cars, kind of.

This clear enough for cyclists and motorists? 


The green paint on the road is redundant and I think has now been removed. It used for when there is a conflict point between cars and bicycles. But things are still clear, a marked bike lane.


There is a blacked out car left turn, so the lane is not for cars to turn left.


It is still clear to me. The bike lane to the left and to the right is the car left turn lane.


Cars were sitting at the lights or encroaching into the bike lane to turn left so these barriers were installed. Just past the barrier is another bike symbol painted on the road. Would you believe some drivers did not understand what was in front of them and squeezed their car into the bike lane to turn left! Just a few days ago I saw a car do this, and with two cyclists behind the car, the driver decided to turn left against a red light. Just in the time I sit on the balcony each day, I could post a daily account of the craziness I see at the intersection below.

30 comments:

  1. Sometime I think people leave their brains behind when they get behind the steering wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have lots of bike lanes and I am in favour. I do wish that cyclists wouldn't use the pedestrian walk ways though and if they do (and sometimes it is essential) that they were more courteous to pedestrians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I've heard a cyclist ring his bell at a pedestrian while the cyclist was illegally riding on a footpath. I would kick his spokes in if one did that to me.

      Delete
    2. You would kick his spokes in for warning you he was coming? Here in SA riding on footpaths is permitted, supposedly for children and elderly people, but everyone does it and NONE of them ring their bell to let me know they are about to zoom past.

      Delete
  3. It's all very well painting coloured marks on the roads, but some of us cannot see what colours they are, especially when they fade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasker, quite so, and hence the concrete separation kerbing.

      Delete
  4. Despite the clear markings and designs, rules are not enforced in this country

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, aside from murder, law enforcement seems to have been handed over to cameras.

      Delete
  5. I hate you lost your parking spaces, but I'm impressed the city kept the trees and I find it amazing they are adding bike separation lanes. Woot. Woot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, yes, these bike lanes are great and sorely needed. I don't know how it will all end up.

      Delete
  6. I do get cross when there is a perfectly good bike path but cyclists insist on taking up a car lane (Beach Road). There does need to be a bit more tolerance on both sides but you can't fix stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, as I have seen the bike path is fairly high speed, but the Sunday cyclist want to travel faster on the roads, and they have that right. It seems that bikes rule at weekend ends on Beach Road.

      Delete
  7. Can't cyclists just carry their bikes instead of disrupting car journeys? Cyclists are like Donald Trumps and me no likey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, what about pesky pedestrians who block your travel when they walk over crossings?

      Delete
  8. They keep building more and more bike lanes and stuff in Portland where it rains most of the year so most people don't actually ride their bikes to work. Around here where I live, if someone is on a bike means they got a DUI and don't have a girlfriend with a car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Portland might become a cycling city. Make it and they will use it. The cycling capital of the world is Amsterdam and it is cold. Lol, my brother became a cyclist when he lost his driving licence for DUI.

      Delete
    2. I tried to be one but after getting hit the third time by a car, ending up in a ditch with twisted bike frame, I gave it up, for my health.

      Delete
  9. It's good to have these well-demarcated lanes, with appropriate signage, for different modes of transport. It helps a lot.
    Here in India, the situation is a bit different. There are so many vehicles on the roads - motorcycles, cars, and buses. Traffic is crazy.
    There have been many attempts to create bicycle lanes, because, inspite of the heavy traffic, there is now a growing community of people who like to cycle to work or to just exercise.
    These lanes aren't functional because of the sheer large number of cars and buses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pradeep, take faith. Australian bike lanes started at a very low point but have now become important. It will just take time.

      Delete
  10. Cyclists take their lives in their hands when they tackle main thoroughfares. Cycle lanes are a good idea if there's enough room and if car drivers take note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jabblog, there is no argument with these concrete barrier lanes. Bikes are completed separated from cars, until the next intersection.

      Delete
  11. They can make those bike lanes so safe a blind person could ride there, but I never will. The speed at which traffic travels these days scares the willies out of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think a blind person could ride these bike lanes, with the risk only from other cyclists. BIkes are completely separated from traffic.

      Delete
  12. It is good to see more bike lanes. I miss riding, between 1988 and 2008 I logged over 20,000 miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, what bulging leg muscles you must have had.

      Delete
  13. I used to ride a bike back and forth from work, and I grew convinced, bike lanes or not, Bikes were invisible to motorists! https://rolandyeomans.blogspot.com/2023/04/k-is-for-misunderstaning.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roland. That is why there is such a big push for physical separation of bikes and motor traffic. Down the track I will take photos to show what is being done.

      Delete
  14. As bike lanes are used more and more, drivers will (hopefully) continue to become more aware of the rules. I think the pavement markings you've shown look pretty clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, things have improved over the past few years. The sheer number of cyclists now is rather amazing, and I think will continue to grow.

      Delete

It should have been a non posting day

Do I need to explain what is obvious to me? Staffers monitor Metro movements at the Tallawong control centre .  Why doesn't the control ...