Sunday, April 16, 2023

A Family Gathering

To celebrate R's, Mother's and Little M's birthdays most of the family gathered at Moonlit Sanctuary for a sausage sizzle and birthday cake. A wheelchair was booked for Mother and we booked the barbeque. The weather was warmer than expected, jackets off and it was a really nice day. There were also sandwiches and lots of nibbles.

Sister pushed Mother around to see the animals. One child hurt herself when she fell backwards and Mother got stuck when she swung one leg over a bench seat at a table and could not swing it back again. Here are some photos. 

Keep your puppies and kittens close to you.


While very dog like, Australian dingoes are quite different to dogs. They don't bark but howl, they kill for sport or practice and generally can't be trusted as pets. Nevertheless they are a fascinating creatures and I can recommend a book I read in my teen years, The Way of the Dingo


Apparently they are trustworthy enough at the sanctuary to be taken for a walk by guests who pay.



I believe this is a wallaby, kind of like a kangaroo but I know it as a pademelon. This was our third visit to the sanctuary, the first at night time and we had pademelons moving around and over our feet in the dark as owls swooped past our heads mere centimetres away. The night experience was terrific.


They are seriously long and thin legs.



Some native bird I suppose.


Owls etc were a bit difficult to see.


A not so great photo of a spotted quoll.


Ditto a Tasmanian devil. 


This is a water dragon, a lizard of sorts. It likes to be near water and is a good swimmer.


We became very interested when the water dragon decided to be 'friendly' with a tortoise. 


Another tortoise purposefully made its way from a few a metres away to assist its friend against the water dragon's attention. It was so funny to watch and the kiddies were entranced, as I was.

32 comments:

  1. There is nothing better than a sizzling sausage

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find Australian wildlife fascinating. Much of it is totally unique, not to be found elsewhere in the World and often quite lethal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, it is always of interest ot locals too. It is a wonder anyone survives here with all the lethal creatures.

      Delete
  3. It looks like a wonderful day. I find the water dragons fascinating and will always stop to watch them (and try and take photos). The youngest of my brothers who volunteers at our local zoo often has as one of his 'jobs' taking the dingoes for walkies. Ditto the cheetahs. And yes, I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I saw my first not captive water dragon in the Blue Mountains. I was entranced. I had forgotten about your bro dingo walking. Cheetahs would be fun to walk... I think.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a relaxing day at the sanctuary. I used to do that a bit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, it was a very pleasant day. Get back to it when you have time.

      Delete
  5. Great day out :) What is the bird with the long, thin legs? Its beak is so long and narrow, how does food reach its body?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've looked it up Hels, just for you. It is pied stilt, rather appropriate.

      Delete
  6. Just up the road from us and I still haven't been.
    Dingos are fascinating. Apparently they came across the land bridge eons ago which is why they are as close to original as you can get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd better hurry up Caro, before you move away. I've hear about them coming across the land bridge. My step mother used to breed Shiba Inu dogs, a Japanese dog and you would swear they are like miniature dingoes.

      Delete
  7. At the end, I suspect that you thought you were watching a sex show between species. A bit like a certain Melbourne man having sex with a penguin. Remember?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, I know we have a pair of gay penguins at our aquarium, but I don't remember about a man having sex with a penguin.

      Delete
  8. No coat for me today. A long sleeve shirt. It got up to upper 50 (15) I find Australia animals and plants interesting.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a lovely day out. Did you send me a slice of birthday cake? I'll watch out for it in the mail, shall I? Ha Ha. I would never walk a dingo. When my eldest was a toddler, next door's pet dingo jumped the fence and ate her kitten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, keep an eye out for cake in an envelope but I only used one of R's pensioner stamps, so it may take some time to arrive. Yes, dingoes are really not pet material. Nowadays you could probably sue them, if they had money.

      Delete
  10. Sounds a nice day out with some of the family.
    That devil, they are an ugly creature, but they are not here for their looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, you are home. Yay. Devils are important creatures but yes, they are ugly, they fight and bite, not nice at all, and certainly not pet material.

      Delete
  11. So the visit was in the evening..? better than at the hottest time of day when many animals are not active..and the human animal shouldn't be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GZ, not this time but we have done the nighttime experience. The creatures were certainly active. Our kangaroos, wallabies and koalas are pretty sleepy during the middle of the day.

      Delete
  12. Your evening walk sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JabBlog, it was about fifteen years ago, and it was brilliant. But the day about three weeks ago was pretty good too.

      Delete
  13. I hope everyone had a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you all had a geat day. I should check out Moonlit Sanctuary next time I am in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pradeep, it is good but perhaps not the best place for overseas people to see our wildlife.

      Delete
  15. That sounds interesting, to be there at night.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When we were in Australia, I was totally mesmerized by the Tasmanian devils. I watched one for ages, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, watching two is more entertaining as they constantly bicker and fight.

      Delete

The aftermath

Friday, I paced the apartment, closing Ray's bedroom door and then opening it. It is closed at the moment, and to be sensible it will sa...