Tuesday, March 28, 2023

We know, we know, but we don't

Unfettered capitalism around the world has been an absolute environmental disaster over many decades. A list of the worst could be quickly written but I see no need. Others will have done it. I thought I was pretty well unshockable at what the excesses of capitalism could do, and I knew it was bad in South America,  but after watching this 15 minute doco, I am truly shocked. 

I am not shocked by the environmental disaster. I knew about that. What I am shocked by is how the world and its legal system has failed in redress, in clean up and financial compensation. For goodness sakes, the pollution is still sitting there in South America. The world should be ashamed.

13 comments:

  1. So many stories like this and yet nothing is ever done about it. The ordinary man and woman in the street is just impotent when it comes to stopping the Big Guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I despair. What will it take before the world takes action?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to say this is unbelievable, but greed overcomes all and the innocent victims continue to suffer. I, too, despair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a nation, my country has a lot to answer for. Our greed has done a lot of damage, in foreign countries and inside our borders too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so screwed. But the mighty dollar wins. People keep wanting stuff for nothing so won't boycott the companies/countries that keep doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not know about this, how did I not know? And now that I do know...well, what can I do? This is so typical of huge profit making companies, look after the company and bugger everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats disgusting. All those Texaco people should go on trial for crimes against humanity and the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, it's dreadful. One day people will wake up hopefully before it's totally too late to clean the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrifying, depressing. tragic and so very wrong but not at all surprising. That's capitalism for you. We're riding the tramcar to extinction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's truly depressing. Already we are seeing the effects of unfettered degradation of the environment for greed and profit. One shudders to think what lies in store. Though many governments had pledged to do something to arrest the decline, nothing is happening on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's sickening, for sure. ~shakes head~ Be well, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete

ANZAC Day 2024

This is a somewhat different type of war song, about a war I can more closely relate to.  We will remember them.