Sunday, March 5, 2023

Smith Street

While it is actually in the inner north and referred to as being in Collingwood, a map tells me Smith Street is in Fitzroy. We took a wander, had some Subway and then coffee.

Poorly educated locals in the early 20th century probably called it Smiff Street. It has a riches to rags past and now is firmly on its way up. It has many places to eat, from cheap to average, bars and a number of other businesses.

Below says:

You wouldn't dream of holding anything on Friday night because it was Smith Street night. That was the social gathering night of(sic) everyone. You couldn't move outside...the rest is unreadable.



This old post office was right up there with other grand post offices at the time.



You can now buy a taco at Hotel Jesus. Jesus bloody Christ.


An original Coles variety store and while empty, it still has its lovely original curved front windows. Coles supermarket is right next door. Developers seem to have gotten their hands on what they can but I should think most of what is left has a decent level of protection.



The very old Grace Darling Hotel. We dined there with friends in the 1980s.


The side street is Peel Street leads to a long gone gay sex on premises venue, Club 80, its adjoined accommodation The Gatehouse, The gay Peel Hotel, still operating is further down Peel Street and around the corner the is gay sauna Wet on Wellington. Also in Peel Street was another gay bar and we were friends with the owners. The bar was originally called Jocks but changed its name to Gay Trade Bar. I think before that it was quite an expensive restaurant and I've forgotten the name. I recall reportage that the late silver spoon bred Prime Ministerial aspirant Andrew Peacock had an affair with US actor Shirley MacLaine and they dined there often.  Wiki just informs me she also had an affair with Lord Mountbatten obviously before he was blown to pieces by the IRA.



They are quite bolshie greenies in Fitzroy. The Federal Government member for the seat is leader of the Greens Party.  Adam Bandt is a very reasonable and personable man.


A gay bar called Sircuit. When it opened we had already stopped going to bars. I believe it is quite popular.


Another all purpose bar it seems.


Foresters Hall 1868. 
Court Perseverance 2727. 
1868 would have the year it was built. I've no idea what 2727 is, let alone Court Perseverance.


I am not saying and it is impolite to ask me about my wah wah.


The cafe/bar Kent Street was terrifically grungy, if even if a little challenging to sensitive souls. The staff were pleasant and friendly and the coffee ok. You know Dorothy is not in Kansas anymore when all the outdoor street tables have ashtrays.


The flag on the left is the Australian Aboriginal flag and the one on the right is Torres Strait Island flag, with them identifying differently.



The finer print says, Theft happens here unfortunately...we are on Smith Street after all.


Grungy cool.


Brilliant.




Pattersons was a furniture and homewares department store.



Before Afterpay.

28 comments:

  1. My other half lived in Melbourne for a while in his distant youth, returning to Blighty in 1979. He occasionally mentions Smith Street at though I should understand its connotations, so thank you for enlightening me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really JayCee. That's interesting. He must have lived near Smith Street then.

      Delete
    2. He lived in Albert Park but worked in town.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, Shirley MacLaine got around in her younger years. She's now 88!

    I'm a bit mystified at the assertion that "Queer liberation means a world without prisons," but it's a nice thought.

    I love that Patersons' building, with all those windows. It would make amazing flats or lofts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I did wonder as I was writing if she was still alive. I don't really understand the 'Queer Liberation' poster. I did like the sign 'Don't fuck with queer kids'.
      By the look of it, the Patterson's building is empty above ground level. I doubt it could be demolished so may well be extensively renovated to apartments. They will be high end though, and gentrification will continue.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your amazing images and stories. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great introduction of locals around these gay clubs and pubs. The traffic there is a nightmare day and night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, thanks. The traffic is slow and calm and makes for a better experience for pedestrians. While I never see such streets in peak traffic times, I didn't see any great delays or congestion. Just slow moving and freely flowing traffic.

      Delete
  5. Bandt is great if you believe in fairies and free handouts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your court perseverance and the foresters seem to be a bit like Freemasons.
    Thank you for the trip. I always get my inner north suburbs mixed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, you may well be right about Freemasons or similar.

      Delete
  7. There's really a Hotel Jesus???!! My gosh. Off to google. I love that last picture of the wooden doors with the tiled floor. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, I was a little surprised about Hotel Jesus, but it was clear to me that it was not accommodation or a pub.

      Delete
  8. The post office in Smith Street, which I don't remember at all, is truly stunning. The Grace Darling Hotel is lower, greystonier and less attractive, but hey... how many Gold Rush buildings still stand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, Grace Darling built in 1854, named after the daughter of an Irish lighthouse keeper, or something like that. The building was certainly pre elaborate late Victorian ornation.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for the tour.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found via google: Short History of Court Perseverance, 2727, of the Ancient Order of Foresters, of the United Melbourne District: From Date of Its Inception, August 18, 1857, to December 8, 1891, by Their Secretary Since March, 1859 : and District Secretary from October, 1860 to October. 1887.
    Apparently there is a book about it, but it seems to be not much more than one page folded four times , on the google page somewhere if you are further interested.
    I remember Paterson's, they had a store in Murray Bridge where I bought furniture when I first moved into my own flat soon after getting married. I think they later became Hooper's or something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's interesting River and thanks for you research. As Caro suggested earlier, something like Freemasons. So, did you live in Murray Bridge? There is a point to asking as we will be in SA in a week or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in Murray Bridge from 1969 to September 1971, then moved to Qld with new hubby and was back in Murray Bridge briefly in 1972 then back to QLD and never again in Murray Bridge. We almost bought a house there but the bank refused him a loan.

      Delete
    2. Most interesting River. You certainly know the town. Thanks.

      Delete
  12. I've never heard of Smith Street or its conotations. Somehow I don't think I'd hang out there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of interesting places to hang out, eat, drink.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some colorful areas in Melbourne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to walk on the wild side of Melbourne at times Strayer, content with us being able to go home to our privileged area.

      Delete

Unexpectedly bereft

The most wonderful person I've ever known has suddenly died, Thursday night Australian time. He was kind, generous with a great outgoing...