Thursday, January 26, 2023

It's Braighton darling

Brighton is now a very posh suburb and probably always has been.  The eastern part was once mostly market gardens, growing vegetable for the citizens of Melbourne and my mother's side of the family owned quite a number of them. Mother's grandparents are buried in Brighton Cemetery. Market gardening is hard physical work, with very early mornings to be at the market by 4am, dealing with the Italian market mafia so that you didn't have to deal with them, the heat and cold. However it was lucrative and the various family members did well, and extra well when they sold their land. 

So when home invasions and car hijackings by the black yoof came to Brighton, there was shock. Although this had been happening for some time elsewhere, when it happened in Brighton, it was realised there was a serious problem. The older gentlewomen of Brighton knew how to agitate over inappropriate property developments, how to impress on their accountants that they should not be paying so much tax and how to get a local council worker out to pick up as cigarette butt someone had dropped in the gutter (I am only half joking).

It is a few years since I have heard of home invasions and carjackings in Brighton, so the dear senior citizens of Brighton must have learnt how to lobby about policing. Truthfully, the state government has taken a multi pronged approach to the racial social crime problem, and it does mostly seem to be working. 

Have I painted a picture of Brighton? It is a lovely suburb, full of high quality older and newer housing. The streets are tree lined and aside from very busy roads to the east and west, the traffic is slow and there would rarely be road rage. People are educated, polite, respectful and environmentally and socially conscious. 

It is always a pleasure for us to visit Brighton, as we did this day to North Point Cafe, along with Ladies who Lunch and quite a wide but comfortable demographic. Psst, I think there may have been as Asian person there.....ah, no she was staff.

No trams in Brighton, everyone drives their own cars, except if they want to go to the city whereby they will lower themselves to taking the train because it is a damn sight quicker and more convenient. 




After lunch we needed a rest on a nice bench seat and wagtails amused us as they hop paraded up and down.   


Note, today is Australia Day but as it has become so divisive, I am not saying anything, aside from making the point that I am not writing anything about the day.

23 comments:

  1. As you are well aware I am on team Change the Date. I am heading in to do a shift at LL in a little while and will be interested to see whether the day gets mentioned (for good or for bad).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. EC, with no glee I say today did not turn out well here. It was the same in Sydney I believe. This just can't go on every year.

      Delete
  2. This was a wonderful, informative post. I had to look up a few things but mostly I now understand that this is an area not unlike the affluent areas along the Atlantic Coast in Maine and Rhode Island in the United States. Now, I will read a little of the area and take a walk down the streets with trusty Google Street View. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peace Thyme, it was a older very conservative area where wealth was not flaunted. That has changed with nearly every second car being a black European model. I think it is much the same around the world with people happily displaying how rich they are.

      Delete
  3. Brighton attitude is well known. I avoid the burb like a plague. Australia day is just a holiday. I do not find much else worthy to celebrate apart from paying taxes and anticipate more red tape coming in over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you are saying Roentare, but remember Egg Boy, who later went on to run as a Greens candidate in a Federal or State election and almost rolled the sitting conservative member?

      Delete
  4. It sounds rather genteel and perhaps a little behind the times? (she asked nervously!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of decades ago you would have been spot on Jabblog, but it has changed with a generational change. There would still be a higher than average church going number, but it would not be by much.

      Delete
  5. In the UK Brighton is the gay capital

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed John, as my niece discovered when she visited. We, not so much. Remember Liz Smith, Nana, sitting on a kitchen bench in The Royle Family? She was swinging her legs and explaining how the son of someone she knew went to Brighton and came back as a gay. Is Manchester not in the running?

      Delete
  6. The Stalker
    Some of my relatives are buried in Brighton, they lived there is past times. The houses were solid and Brighton was considered a little way out of town My M.in law, dead a long time, used to motor in from Long Island Frankston. to the city .. and my and D in Law used to ride up to Mt Eliza via pushbike to deliver the meat… those burbs used to be considered almost country …. burbs have changed so much since then. The Heidi mob used to have huge beach parties at Aspendale… I hate cigarette buts and chocolate wrappers lying lazily around on pavements .
    Memories… …did trams run to Brighton Andrew ?
    Good Wishes






    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps About which we won’t mention….as long as the holiday stays which marks the end of school holidays….it could be called Fruit Day a name for many varieties of 🍎 🍌 🍉 as well as ….♥️

      Delete
    2. Stalker, Brighton was probably called an outer middle suburb in our young years. I've always meant to check where Long Island is. I thought it was near Hastings. You have a strong connection to Brighton. I remember seeing a Heidi crew painting at Aspendale Beach, so I guess they didn't all get pissed at the beach parties.

      Yes, a tram ran from St Kilda Station along Grey Street, Barkly Street, Broadway, St Kilda Street and the beach road to Brighton Beach Station. It was Victorian Railways tram rather than a tramway board (MMTB) tram and not compatible with other tram lines. The line was progressively closed in the 1950s, in spite of protests. The numbers who used it did not warrant the cost.

      I feel we are just over Christmas and New Year and a public holiday would be more welcome where there is holiday gap.

      Funnily the Sunday before and Sunday week will be the days for fruits in Melbourne.

      Delete
  7. I love the Point. My kids loved playing on the pirate ship. A great place to start a walk towards the city. Brighton itself is a bit up itself. Or at least it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, I had not been there since my youth until a decade or so ago. I thought there was a beach, but now it is just large rocks. I asked Mother and confirmed it was a beach as she used to the North Road bus there with friends. I looked at this many years ago and I vaguely recall the bus was rerouted, perhaps when the rocks were placed. Yes, Brighton is kind of ever so politely up itself.

      Delete
  8. What is a wagtail?
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A willie wagtail Dora. A small and dull bird that quickly hops about and has tail feathers that wag about at high speed.

      Delete
  9. "Our" Brighton isn't posh, but the next suburb, Hove, is a bit more "upmarket" with larger houses and nicer gardens. I can't say what either of them were in past times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I was confused for a few seconds, because the town of Hove in England is close to the English Brighton. I've not heard of your Hove before, which means nothing too bad that needs police attendance happens there.

      Delete
  10. I never knew there were multiple Brightons (to say nothing of Hoves) elsewhere in the world. But I guess it makes sense given the British colonial diaspora! This sounds like a pleasant area but I'd hate to be without public transportation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I'd be surprised if there is not a Brighton in the US.

      Delete
  11. Ah, the enlightened and exclusive Brighton. How does a dull bird like a wagtail fit in to such a place?

    ReplyDelete

Unexpectedly bereft

The most wonderful person I've ever known has suddenly died, Thursday night Australian time. He was kind, generous with a great outgoing...