Sunday, November 13, 2022

Sunday Selections

As I often do I am joining in with Elephant's Child and River for Sunday Selections. 

On the side of Mitchell House at the corner of Elizabeth and Latrobe Street is this plaque recognising the former Argus and Australasian newspaper premises known as Mitchell House. Several years ago it was in a very poor state. One of my nephews, ah, I only have one, practiced some urban exploring there, climbing to the top with a friend. It is a lovely art deco building, since then restored from memory by an education institution. I can't find my photos of the building. I will take some more soon.


Old cars were on display at Victoria Market when we last visited. I was a bit footsore by the time we came across them and although I was once so interested in such cars, I have seen so many that they no longer fascinate me. Still, these two were very stylish.



I think this was taken in Fitzroy. It is a rather unusual mix of clay bricks and bluestone. It may well have been originally covered with stucco. I think bluestone was cheaper than clay bricks, so that may have had something to do with its use.


As an attempt to catch my eye this building did. I really don't know what to make of it but I will call it for architectural merit as a fail, more so upon closeup viewing. It's a boring flat block with a bit stuff stuck in front of it.


Well, he reminds me of Gassy Jack in Vancouver for some reason, but we are firmly in Brunswick Street. You don't get a statue made of yourself without reason and here is snip from online 'Poet, performer, organiser, promoter, raconteur, ratbag, stirrer, hipster ... Adrian Rawlins'. You can read more about the very interesting Adrian here. I am surprised I did not know of him.


It would only take me five minutes to get to the bottom of this rainbow and find the pot of gold, but I know so many have tried and failed.




Lighting from my far bedroom bedside lamp intersecting with R's beside lamp. It must have been winter as the door to the spare bedroom is closed to conserve heat. 


I have no idea what these pigeons are picking at in the palm tree.


At one point they were climbing up on the bark.

22 comments:

  1. I do enjoy your eclectic Sunday Selections. Rainbows and balloons are two of my favourite things. I hadn't heard of Adrian Rawlins - thank you for continuing my education. And definitely a fun statue of him too.
    I agree with you about the architectural fail. Eye catching, but not attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminiscent of Melbourne inner burbs here. I love that statue in Fitzroy and quite nostalgic from looking at it. These vintage cars are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, I really do now wish I took a proper look at the various cars, but as I said...

      Delete
  3. To my eyes, those cars look oversized, petrol guzzling uglies. But my younger brother adored them and collected them for his bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, cool fact about your bro. They were from a different time. 'Mummy, what was the oil shock?'

      Delete
  4. Husband and youngest son love old cars so I have seen plenty in my time. Most I can take or leave but some are very pretty. I do like the green one.
    You are fortunate to live amongst the balloons.
    I found the intersection of bedside lamp lighting quite moving. I must be getting soppy in my old age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, maybe the light represents the intersection of our lives but come from an independent source. Ultimately, we are connected. I never thought of the photo as being moving, but I see what you mean.

      Delete
  5. The pot of gold chase....like trying to nab a leprechaun. The round buildings, look like they have been overlaid on the exterior to hide maybe an oldish exterior. The rounded faces with square windows or whatever they are--I don't know if I like it or not. Now off to look up Adrian Rawlins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I dream of riches when I see the end of a rainbow nearby. I thing the roundness is just façade.

      Delete
  6. Rainbows are tricky things, the pot of gold is always at the other end. Possibly the pigeons are picking at insects. I noticed a grey city pigeon here amongst the mourning doves, so I have drastically cut back on the seeds I put out and will soon stop altogether. I don't want hordes of THEM on my lawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think if you bird feed, don't do it daily and so not make it an expectation.

      Delete
  7. Nice selection Andrew. Like that light through the door inside. The balloons are looking good above and the cars look immaculate, many hours spend on them for sure with much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, thanks. The balloon photos weren't great and I have some better ones up my sleeve. Yes, the work of car restorers is to be admired.

      Delete
  8. That building--the fourth picture down--looks like it had several architects and bricklayers working at cross purposes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, you may well be right. It does present a nice enough street frontage.

      Delete
  9. Interesting to see what old cars made it to your part of the world. I think that second one is a Fairlane? I agree about the weird billowy building -- completely incongruous with the rest of the structure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, large American cars weren't unusual here until the oil shock years. As well, the building is completely out of step with the area.

      Delete
  10. Art deco is my favorite architectural style. :D Classic cars and hot air balloons are both beautiful to see, and expensive hobbies. Excellent eye capturing that light and great angle on the stature. My guess is also that the pigeons are hunting insects. And I agree about that second building - ugh. The lowest portion of that facade makes me think of a giant, rotting skeletal overbite. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darla, I thought pigeons mostly ate seeds but you could be right. I love your building description.

      Delete
  11. Alas, Gassy Jack is no more. He has been toppled.
    https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/who-was-gassy-jack-and-why-was-his-statue-toppled-in-vancouver

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had forgotten that Jackie. Thanks for the reminder. Let's say the toppling was shortcut through red tape and bureaucracy.

    ReplyDelete

ANZAC Day 2024

This is a somewhat different type of war song, about a war I can more closely relate to.  We will remember them.