Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Ravin' about ravens

I feel a little like Tippi Hendren when I step out onto the balcony in the evening. Ravens are madly flying around, in pairs or small groups. They are gathering together and then dispersing before gathering again. As I am typing this in my peripheral vision I can see them flying in all directions. They are landing en masse nearby before, very late for birds, finding somewhere to roost. 

The native Australian raven is only found in southern Australia, not really above the latitude of Adelaide. They are larger than crows found in northern Australia but seem otherwise very similar. They are clever and resourceful birds and have varied diet and are rather fond of road kill. In spite of their large size and threatening black appearance, they are not a risk to humans. I've seen Indian Mynah birds chase them off, as I have seen wattle birds do the same. Some local councils have raven proof bins and others don't. Ravens have learnt of the delights to be found in rubbish bins and will pull everything out and make a terrible mess in their search for easy food.

We've lived here for twenty years now. We were initially bereft of birds but since either Melbourne's environment has improved and is more attractive to a huge variety of birds we now see, good, or a declining country environment is driving birds to city environs, bad, is an unknown. This is a lush year in my state and there is surely no reason for birds to visit the city for easy food, yet visiting they are doing. 

I won't post the worst clip from The Birds, but here is Tippi Hendren in a build up scene. She is now 92 years old.


Even at 8.30pm, nearly dark, the ravens are still flying close by the balcony with their mournful calls. I am scared. Update, 9.10pm they are still flying around and have not roosted. Update 10.10, small flocks were still flying around but then finally settled somewhere nearby. I can still hear them calling. Will they be lined up on my balcony railing in the morning? Should I take Tippi's fears onboard? I'm afraid.  I need I a comforting cuddle. 

24 comments:

  1. As you know I adore our ravens. Clever, family minded birds. We get a small group visiting regularly. The male lands first and checks out the area. When and only when he is satisfied the area is safe, he calls the others down. And yes, despite their fearsome appearance I have seen other birds move them on. And I have also seen them disembowel carelessly shut rubbish bins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, that's most interesting information. I saw a mudlark chasing away a raven today.

      Delete
  2. Informative piece. I never learnt that Australian ravens originated in SA. I see magpies most dominant in my gardens that they are the most dominant birds I believe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, I am not sure ravens originated in SA, but they are certainly found there. Maggies are lovely to have in your garden.

      Delete
  3. No idea why but I haven’t had any in my garden for a few years now. Don’t even see them around the local parks either. Maybe the pickings in the city are better than out in the suburbs 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Cathy, it must be easier pickings in the inner burbs. I've just had a work flashback. They used to hang around behind restaurants near my workplace in Glenferrie Road, Malvern.

      Delete
  4. Ravens were often harbingers of doom. I hope you woke up this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wake Caro, feeling so innocent and not a raven was to be seen, until again this evening.

      Delete
  5. Can say I've had nothing to do with ravens, not sure I've seen them, probably have though. Gosh, sounds like some noise then that can be annoying. Hope all turns out well there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The noise can be quite annoying, more so when they are alone and squawking.

      Delete
  6. come here ((hug)) ((hug)) there there, there's nothing to be afraid of. The birds won't hurt you. Look away from the window and watch some television.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks River. I would be really worried if they were butcher birds.

      Delete
  7. I don't think I have seen ravens outside the Tower of London, but the comparison with crows is scary. I see crows outside the coffee shops near our place, waiting for the people sitting at the outside tables to leave, in order to take their scraps. They chase off the smaller, sweeter birds and peck their nasty beaks in the smaller birds' necks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, the large black birds with a mournful cry. What you see are not crows but ravens. I don't think ravens attack other live birds.

      Delete
  8. I'm not so crazy about ravens, which I know are that even though colloquially "crows." Partly because they are just about the only bird that you will spot on the highway, and partly because I take the side of the smaller birds which are always so keen to chase them off. I always find them vaguely threatening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, I am fairly sure you have crows not ravens. EC says in ACT there are ravens. I find them both threatening and interesting.

      Delete
  9. Will I ever recover from having seen The Birds?

    ReplyDelete
  10. As long as we're talking about scary ravens, don't forget Edgar Allan Poe! "Quoth the raven...nevermore."

    I had no idea Tippi Hedren was still alive. That's remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that line Steve but it is appropriate. I was surprise myself that she is still alive.

      Delete
  11. 11.00pm (Guest blogpost by "R") I am sorry to report that half an hour ago I found my beloved Andrew sprawled upon his back on our balcony. The ravens were still making a meal of him and one flew off waving his tongue in the air like a gruesome trophy. Ah well, I guess that's life. No use crying over spilt milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment is delightful YP. Small mercies, only my tongue taken.

      Delete
  12. Yes, they're lined up on your railing right now, if you peeked out, and on every single railing around and up and down your entire building. I'm scared now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I know. I will spray them with insect spray.

      Delete

Hair cut memories

A few days ago we walked down Russell Street in town from Lonsdale Street to Little Bourke Street and as we did, a memory kicked in. R, one ...