Friday, November 25, 2022

Friday Funny

 An ocker said on tv...

What is an ocker? I'll see if a dictionary agrees with my opinion. 

noun
an uncultured Australian male.
an uncouth, offensive male chauvinist.

I don't quite agree with that definition. Let me try another. 

Slang for a stereotypical Australian.
Someone with a strong accent who enjoys beer, bbqsAustralian footballV8 cars, thongs etc.
"Macca is such an ocker"

Getting closer but V8's are rare here now.

an Australian who is not well educated and does not behave in a polite way

No, ockers can be perfectly nice and polite people. It is left to me to define.

Their speech can be rough, punctuated by swear words but mostly not extreme swearing. They have little respect for correct English but still communicate effectively. They have broad Australian accents, they put on no side and are uninterested in culture, until something cultural bombs them and they are interested. Most would live in country areas but many on our suburban fringes. Some will be very poor reliant on social services' money but most will be quite comfortable and own their own homes. 

My Tradie Brother wasn't brought up ocker, but it is persona he has chosen and he carries it off well, until he called me to ask me to research an old mansion in either Aspendale or Edithvale. He wants to know its history. He pretends ineptitude with modern technology but I know he knows more that he lets on.

Australian Ockers are not equivalent to UK chavs, nor US rednecks/hillbillies. 

Well, you may well be puzzled by what I have written in connection to the headline, Friday Funny.

The is an ABC TV show called "You can't ask that". It is rather good. There was an ever so ocker firefighter speaking, recounting his experience when once surrounded by fire. He thought it was miraculous that he escaped being burnt to death, and expressed it as, "A fairy must have kissed my dick". Did I hear that correctly? I checked with R a few minutes later and he confirmed. We both had a good laugh. In context, it was quite funny.

I think I may have heard all old Geordie and English sayings now. R's best one was delivered many years ago at a body corporate meeting when discussing a former building manager. Everyone thought, "It is like nailing jelly to a wall", was very funny.

What's your own favourite? 

22 comments:

  1. Ocker is only an uncouth Australian male. So I use yobo for any uncouth male from any country. In both expressions, there is no hint of offensive news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of those phrases are sooooo expressive. And yes, I find them funny. Your definition of ocker is closer to my understanding of the term than the others. Mind you, what is the female equivalent? Ockarina just doesn't sit well with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an interesting question EC. What is the female equivalent there just really isn't one beyond ocker woman, that does not sound right.

      Delete
  3. A very good (very cultured) friend of mine often used - like a fart in a colander - no idea which way to go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very funny Cathy. Posh people being common amuses me.

      Delete
  4. The Stalker… Andrew, I agree with you with regard to ocker . I think bogan has taken over but often both these words are used with affection unless a stupid car race is cluttering up beautiful parklands in Adelaide .. those that attend are all bogans in my view. Though in reality there are probably many nice bogans in the crowd. .Good wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stalker, are ocker and bogan the same? Close enough really.

      Delete
  5. In my regional work, I would usually stay away from the area whenever I detect Ocker accent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would too Roentare. They might be drinking, swearing and smoking late into the night. But working ockers have to get up early in the mornings, so tend to go to bed early.

      Delete
  6. I wonder if you mean the place called Balmoral on Nepean hwy Aspendale? My grandparents lived nearby and I have always been curious about that house. Did you find out anything about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spent half an hour looking now and I am no further ahead in spite of your suggestion. I've noted a local Facebook group and I will refer that to my brother to ask himself.

      Delete
    2. Take two. I thing Balmoral might be right.

      Delete
  7. Now that's a word I haven't heard of in a long time is 'ocker'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, no ockers in your state then. Maybe you have bogans.

      Delete
  8. Like Margaret I haven't heard ocker in a long time, these days they are yobbos or bogans, although bogan seems to be on the way out. I remember hearing "you buncha yahoos!" being yelled at a group of kids being silly in the streets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I remember yahoos. It once was a serious word but is now so mild. Ha, you have a yahoo email address.

      Delete
  9. I am happy to know the "Queen's" English, and understand well the Americans who have a hot potato in their mouth. When my English wasn't good yet I thought everybody had the same vocabulary or accent. Through blogging I learned that there are many accents, but when I traveled with Australians, Americans, South Africans and Canadians, I only recognized the Americans ! Lol ! I think that there are many "ockers" or whatever around since the Covid lockdown. People have changed !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, it seems to be improving now but yes, society did seem to become rather selfish in ways as we left the era of lock downs.

      Delete
  10. I've heard the "nailing jelly" one, but the fairy kiss is new! I guess an ocker is like an English yob?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve, yes yob would be the closest word I think. Yob and yobbos used to be used here.

    ReplyDelete

ANZAC Day 2024

This is a somewhat different type of war song, about a war I can more closely relate to.  We will remember them.