Sunday, October 13, 2024

Train excitement is building

In 2025 a new underground railway line in Melbourne will open. We have a station nearby and yesterday was an open day for local residents, although not all were so local. My neighbour H booked us tickets for 10.40 but we were there early and I guess we were on the 10.20 tour. 

What we didn't know was that there would be food vans and food and coffee were free. I ate a Bunnings type sausage (in bread with onions and tomato sauce), followed by bahn mi pork belly slider, and ice cream and then coffee. But that was after the tour. We ran into two neighbour couples from our building. One was complaining about a lack of rubbish bins on the station platform and there not being enough seating. Given trains will come through every ten minutes or better, seats aren't such a big deal. 

The underground station is all but complete, as is the external area. Now, we just wait for trains. 

A few photos from the day, starting with the entrance from Domain Road. There was one escalator coming up, which we used at the end of the tour, but why wasn't there a down one? There was a lift. However, there are multiple stairs, escalators and lifts to down and up from the station.


The main concourse is huge.






These coloured fabrics give people way finding. The are white on the other side. This is repeated at all of the new stations. From what I saw, the signage within the station was good. 


To and from the St Kilda Road tram platform stop.


Once on the platform, the colours changed to orange. 


Just ahead of Melbourne, Sydney has platform doors where by there are platform doors that open with the train doors.



These glass panels were just stunning.




Food time, and there was plenty. Very satisfying. 


A three piece fruit band greeted us. A banana, watermelon and grapes. 


We chatted with neighbours for a bit and then wandered home. It was a nice experience. Unfortunately a neighbour of my neighbour was out with her aged dog as we walked home, who my neighbour wanted to avoid. We tried to sneak past her, but failed and H and she had a bit of a chat, while I walked on further and looked back like an impatient and annoyed person. That worked with only a two minute chat between them. H praised me for saving her from a long chat. The woman is loopy.

At 5 Phyllis and Kosov arrived and cooked up a storm. They came and went at times into the living area, they had big laughs and so did I. They are incredibly nice to me, and want to hug me all the time, even though I am not really the hugging type. It is like they are grooming me, but as I will tell them, Uncle Andrew is a nice person, but when he changes to the mean Aunty Andrea, you will need to look out. I should not be so cynical. They are both nice guys. 

I bought a punnet of blackberries this week. They tasted nothing like the blackberries we picked in my kiddie years. Phyllis said they tasted of chemicals. They were a little sour but didn't really have a taste.  I was so disappointed. 

1 comment:

  1. What is the new underground railway line that is going to open in Melbourne next year? And where does it terminate? I think I should know this but I haven't been on a train since retirement and covid.

    ReplyDelete

Train excitement is building

In 2025 a new underground railway line in Melbourne will open. We have a station nearby and yesterday was an open day for local residents, a...