Wednesday, October 23, 2024

It's my Life

Strange things continue to happen in The Highrise. A nice little display of shells turned into a very large display after Phyllis and Kosov walked along a beach with their phone torches alight. Perhaps their friend needed more sex advice, although it sounded like she was doing quite ok on her own to me with a virile young man.

"Phyllis, what if the printer runs out of paper. I can't insert new paper with the shells there."

But wait, there are more.

They were scooped up and put into a bowl, and just as well, the next day the printer ran out of paper when I had to print out a document that some poor old age pensioner widowers need to do. Doesn't poor old age pensioner sound so much more needy than my former guise as a poor old age self funded retiree. 


Kosov has been here for since last Friday but he has gone home tonight. That's fine. He was given one day's unpaid work at a cafe as a trial part time worker. He worked one shift and he was then told he was casual. He was given cash in hand and then not called back.

It is hard for foreign students. However Kosov has what sounds like a decent proper part time job now, in Peel Street, Collingwood, and if I have any gay Melbourne readers, you will no doubt know Peel Street.

There was something fermenting in the dish under the heating. I think it was for a lemon pasta sauce. Three days later, for lunch I had a small bowl of left over creamy and spicy pasta. It was ok.

I am a tidy person and so was Ray. I dislike untidiness. Phyllis has learnt that I like the kitchen tidy. "Phyllis! There is a splodge of what looks like fermenting lemon pasta sauce on the dining table". "Phyllis, I don't want that supermarket bag left all day against my newly painted smart wall next to my art deco auto trolley, once owned by the mother of our Brother Friends". 

Now, I just have to train Kosov to automatically recognise that the recycling bin is full and needs to be taken down to the basement, and for him to push his chair back in under the dining table. 

These young people! How they must adjust to old man widower ways.

I spent over an hour on the phone to our electric company today. Although the bill payment automatically comes out of my account, the account is in Ray's name. Clearly this is the only time this has happened in the world. I only did so because I wanted the pensioner concession. 

I managed to apply my concession to my local council for reduced rates almost online. I had to write onto a printed out form, scan it along with a scan of my concession card, and email it to the council. At least my home was in both names.

Not so for the car, that I paid for. The car ownership needs to be changed from Ray's name to mine. 

Lordy, then there is insurance to sort out. I am so busy being a retired person and I have all this extra loaded on to me.

11 comments:

  1. I dread the changing of names on accounts. So many hoops to jump though.
    Our home is NOT tidy. Himself seems to view empty bench tops/tables as a challenge.
    And you have reminded me that the recycling needs to go outside as soon as it is light. Our recycling bin is always full to the brim when we put it out. As it the green bin. The garbage bin is not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on tidiness. If P leaves anything lying around it gets tidied away, much to his disgust and ire.
    We opened a joint bank account when we married and both incomes all go into the same pot. The account is linked to a joint credit card account. If there are any problems though, the bank will only accept telephone queries from P as his was the first name at the top of the form we filled in. Makes me spit!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those shells are taking over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ended up leaving a couple of bills in my late husband's name because not only was it complicated just to change one name, but the utility company said they had to treat it as a new account, several hundred dollars deposit etc. So I decided as long as the bills are paid I'm not going to worry over it and left it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your life is filled with warmth and noises in a good way. We all need companies to thrive

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband often annoys me but I must retain gratefulness for his attention to financial matters, various insurance coverages, home maintenance and the like, not to mention keeping me informed of it all. And thank heaven this house is in both our names as a widowed neighbor has been kicked out by her adult stepchildren. At least a local judge is allowing her to share proceeds in the home's sale. Hugs and well wishes, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like the 'kids' are keeping you young:) AND that you have a lot to deal with paperwise. Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please explain how you train men to do anything, details please. Signed a desperate retiree, tired of doing it all, by herself:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. When two adults come together living in one home, everything has to be negotiated. From toilet seat up or down, to smoking, drinking and tidiness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will have Phyllis trained well soon. It is good the Kosov found a job. The foreign students here have a tough time too with so many of them riding around on electric bikes and delivering food to homes even in bad weather in winter. Good luck with the name changing, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete

It's my Life

Strange things continue to happen in The Highrise. A nice little display of shells turned into a very large display after Phyllis and Kosov ...