Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Tuesday Tait Train

Old red trains are of my yoof. Some of you may think I know a lot about trains and trams, along with public transport. I don't but I probably know more that you do. Not only did I work in public transport in various roles for 41 years, I've now used it for regularly for most of those years and add five years more of intensive use since I 've retired. 

You cannot be interested in the history of your city unless you look at the way people moved around before there were cars and how that changed when public transport arrived and horses became redundant. 

I've certainly caught heritage steam trains in the past and posted about them in my blog but for me steam trains are best viewed from the outside, as the depart or arrive, and as they travel up steep banks blowing lots of smoke. 

I received a notification from Steam Rail Victoria that there would be old electric trains travelling this Sunday past between Melbourne Flinders Street and Showgrounds. They journey time was short, so why not. Come the Sunday morning, the booking process was painless and after careful examination of the timetable with its more frequent service in the morning, which would be busy, it dropped to an hourly service at lunch time but then there was a train at 1pm followed by a train at 1.40. That will do me nicely and it was a good call. It was quiet. 

Here she comes.

Of course I will travel first class. 

I'll leave 2nd Class for the prols.

I boarded with plenty of seats to choose from. I loved the way the old carriage looked. I popped out for a moment to check the carriage number, and it had a T in the carriage number which meant it was a trailer car without motors underneath. This should be the smoothest and quietest carriage. It was, as I discovered later but it didn't seem so quiet and smooth at the time. Unlike modern suburban trains, the seat did not have a body shape but it was very well padded; quite ok for a suburban train journey. 

The carriages are not beautifully restored but just well maintained originals as far as I could see. A good test of cleanliness is the lamp shades, and they passed. 

Trains are generally slow in the inner areas and this one was too, but travelled at a similar speed to suburban trains. I think it accelerated at a similar speed to our oldest Comeng suburban trains. For a short time the train accelerated hard after Kensington Station, up to 58/36 according to my app. 

The train travelled to Showgrounds where there was model train exhibition, not really of interest to me. I planned to catch the same train back to Melbourne FSS. I knew its departure time and it was enough for me to change to a carriage with motors underneath to hear them. While it sounds so nerdy, I wanted to remember the noise of the motors from my youth. Damn, what is a D carriage classification? I think it means Driving Motor, as I've now remembered but at the rear I spotted a carriage with M classification...motors. I'll have that one, thanks. It was busier travelling back to the city. 

Slumming it in second class. I couldn't tell the difference.

The motor carriage did not disappoint with its electric motor sounds. It seemed like a more active train trip. On the way out I noticed a mural and on the way back, I snapped it through an open window.

Victorian Railways used to own at least one country holiday guest house and provided services to a number of others. There used to be promotional posters for various country areas for those who wanted a holiday. I am not sure if VR provided a service to these places, but they were nice enough posters displayed in the train.

Near Lakes Entrance.


Belfield Peak, The Grampians.


Eagle Point, near Bairnsdale.


The former Customs House in Flinders Street is now the Immigration Museum, and I snapped it through the open window.  


See the air horns at the rear of the train? They would give you an ear blast. I don't know if they were the horn noise the train made.

43 comments:

  1. It's good to step back and appreciate former times and know that things have moved on, maybe not always for the better. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, it is for the better that trains have moved on, but it was just fun.

      Delete
  2. I quite enjoy a good old heritage train journey. So nostalgic.
    Nerdy? Not at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, there is no shortage of heritage public transport in your neck of the woods. It won't happen now but I would have loved to visit IOM and ride your rails, so to speak.

      Delete
  3. It looks like a heap of fun. And a trip down Nostalgia Lane as well. There is something about steam trains, noisy and dirty as they are....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes steam is noisy and dirty. This was a nice clean electrically powered train. Maybe be it had carbon credits?

      Delete
  4. The wood trim makes it look luxurious x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes John, wood does, until the train crashes and wood splinters become lethal.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful. I've got books explaining the numbers of the old diesel multiple unit carriage numbers. The more you know about anything, the more you realise you don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasker, diesel multiple unit carriage...I have to think about that, and yes, you are quite correct. The more you learn, the more you realise you don't know.

      Delete
  6. Were there any Griffith Tea signs? I caught the last steam train to Woy Woy before they electrified that line back in the dark ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly no, Anon. Not even mile posts. It's quite a hike to Woy Woy. I did look at the trip the last time we visited Sydney but it seemed too long for Ray to endure. Quite scenic, I think.

      Delete
  7. What happened to the Customs House? Don't we collect customs anymore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All done on phones now Hels. Keep up.

      Delete
    2. Talking of not keeping up, my bank wrote to me last week saying that cheques won't be accepted after this Christmas. Gosh... everything I knew and loved is leaving :(

      Delete
    3. That is shocking to me. We have a few bills that must be paid with checks. You pay extra to use plastic.

      Delete
    4. Debby, about the only cheques used here now are bank cheques. That is you give money to the bank and they give you a cheque for you to present for a large purchase like a car. But even that is disappearing as most now just transfer from their bank account to the car dealer, which is not without its dangers.

      Delete
  8. The steam rail is looking fantastic! The interior deco is charming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Electric Roentare. The last photo shows the pantograph to connect to the overhead wires. Yes, it was lovely inside the train.

      Delete
  9. I loved the red rattlers when I was a kid! I remember they had a very distinctive smell. It wasn’t horrible and I can still conjure it up. Bunyip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bunyip, the burning brake shoe smell perhaps? I smelt it as I changed carriages at Showgrounds. The brake shoes used to be asbestos.

      Delete
  10. I love those old trains with the padded seats that were so very comfortable to me. I don't like the modern seating which is hard plastic too thinly covered. Buses are the same with their seats and I don't like them. Up to a few years ago there was still one old bus in use with the padded leather seats but I haven't seen it since covid. When I was very young I thought 1st and 2nd etc meant that was the order the carriages had to be in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, that's funny about the 1st and 2nd, but kids do get such things wrong. World wide people complain how we have gone backwards in public transport seating comfort. You are complaining and so am I.

      Delete
  11. This post proves you DEFINITELY more know about trains than me. I take it you career in transportation was intentional rather than the result of happenstance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happenstance. I like it. That is what is was, I thought until I found a proper job. I wasn't interested at all in public transport beforehand. At the advent of connecting to the WWW in the 90s, I became interested.

      Delete
  12. Well you seem to know an awful lot about trains. My granddaughter has gone to Whitby for the weekend which also has a steam train station. Which goes through some of the most beautiful scenery in the moors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thelma, that sounds like a very nice steam train trip, or any train trip across moors. I think there is or was also a steam powered bus running in Whitby. As a youngster, Ray used to visit Whitby with his parents.

      Delete
  13. The scenery looks like paintings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to me Strayer. That is Australia and how it looks, in black and white.

      Delete
  14. You had a great day then Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great hour or so Margaret. There was much time spent cleaning sanding dust at home.

      Delete
  15. I'm a rail fan for sure!! Thanks for this cool post

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed reading this and learned stuff - TQ
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  17. A heartwarming day out. It looks like great fun

    ReplyDelete
  18. We have an old steam train at Fort Edmonton (a park of what Edmonton used to be like) and Miss Katie loves riding on that train. Actually, she loves all trains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pixie, that sounds pretty interesting. Katie has gone up in my estimation.

      Delete
  19. This looks like a fun adventure for someone into trains!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great day that must have been, Andrew. The interior shots of the train looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, it was fun and it did not take long. I don't like long experiences like that.

      Delete

Tram undulations

I've tried a few times to capture this but either the tram driver was driving slowly or a passenger stood up and blocked the view.  I go...