Thursday, June 6, 2024

Many Quacks

Paperwork is not progressing. I need a certified copy of Ray's will and for whatever reason, it has not been forthcoming. No doubt to clear their storage, the company is also sending me Ray's original will.  

Nor is sending a portion of ashes to Ray's sister in England going well. Australia Post won't take ashes, nor will DHL Express. Another company will, but it is harder work to use them. I got so far with the company's website and stalled. I gave up but I will return.

I can't finalise anything with Ray's bank until I have a certified copy of Ray's will. I just don't seem to be able to complete anything. 

I've been busy organising Ray's memorial gathering. Oldest niece will bluetooth the music I have selected for the mostly family gathering to the venue's sound system. I did at least tick that list off today.  I'm still working on my speech but I did wrap up all the planning at the venue yesterday

WWWWWW was so right. The best laid plans of mice and men. I was carless that night. A part was needed and I couldn't pick up the car until late afternoon. Late afternoon I was at medical appointment, so I will collect the car tomorrow, nay yesterday. 

The medical appointment was because last Thursday after waiting over half an hour for a hospital outpatients appointment, I fainted and fell to the floor. I jumped back into my chair and a woman asked me if I was ok. I replied yes, and I felt fine. Staff must have noticed and before I knew it I was surrounded by nurses, doctors, on a trolley, emergency doctors and whisked off to ICU with extremely low blood pressure. My left hand hand was punctured with a needle as a couple of litres of saline was pumped into me. My right wrist was punctured for some other injections. Monitoring wires were attached all over me. 

I thought this is an awful fuss just because I fainted, but then why was my blood pressure so low? 

I arrived at the hospital at 10 and at 1 I asked the nurse for something to eat and coffee. She obliged with sandwiches and coffee. I was then moved to a short stay bed, as my blood pressure had risen but I was still wired up.

A pleasant young volunteer lad asked me if I wanted anything. I expect he was a case of  'to receive unemployment benefits, you must do a certain amount of volunteer work per fortnight'. He was nice and unhurried. Eventually he brought me some coffee, some fruit salad and finally, a table to eat from. Laconic, but a sweetie. 

Nothing much was then happening. I called the nurse at 6 and told her I was going home. She was reluctant but eventually brought a self discharge form, and then said but wait a bit, a doctor will be here shortly, which she was. Dinner arrived and I said I would eat some food but then I was leaving (saves cooking). Doctor arrived and she wanted to keep me overnight and at some point that night a cardiologist would visit me. I argued back, I am going home. She pressed the point of me fainting again and the danger of head injury. I need to stay. No, I am not staying. I have left the heating on at home, meat thawing, I have my phone and wallet with me but nothing else. It was a lie I told her that no one could had access to my apartment to help me. She understood I was actually going to leave. She went away.

The nurse returned and said I wouldn't need the discharge form as the doctor had worked a discharge plan for me.  The essence was, see my cardiologist asp and return to the hospital for outpatient appointments.

Tuesday I saw my cardiologist, who I like very much... no, no, not in that way. Being carless, I caught the tram, but I was going to anyway. School had just come out, so I played the game, 'spot the gay school boy'. Of course I never know if I am right. Associate Professor said it was nothing to do with my heart, but for someone with high blood pressure that is well treated, and at a perfect score, it could be higher without any risk, so I will reduce your blood pressure medication to give you a better buffer. Wise man.

I know what caused me to faint, that is low blood pressure after a long wait for my appointment, with my head down looking at my phone with the worst arthritic pain in my neck I've ever experienced. I am now carrying pain killers with me. I take them at times reluctantly.

The time before was when I was having neck stiches removed after melanoma surgery and after twenty minutes, I felt faint and had to lie down, and my blood pressure had dropped very low. I think I was in shock.

The only thing that worries me is I think I also fainted at Tradie Brother's 60th birthday and fell back into bins, and I don't know why that happened. Oh well, I'm still alive. But I am being rather cautious at the moment. Back to hospital today for the appointment I missed last Thursday. That'll teach 'em to keep me waiting so long. 

48 comments:

  1. Good luck. Get all the tests, take care, and look after yourself. The older you get, the harder it gets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't I know it Tasker, and I am only 66. I follow doctors' orders, up to a point. I was right to go home.

      Delete
  2. Oh Andrew. You really, really don't need any of this. I am glad that your cardiologist is good and that you like him.
    Heartfelt hugs. And thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't really need this EC, but to put on a bright face, medical appointments pass the time and a good reason to get out. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. After a certain age, cardiologists become the most important people in our lives. More important than family, friends, co-workers and coffee mates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, mine seems very confident in his treatment of me, to the point where he only wants to see me once a year.

      Delete
  4. I'm on bp meds too and I have to be careful as if dehydrated at all, it will drop so low, with very low heart rate. I've never fainted though, not yet anyhow. Drink enough water with electrolytes? I had a friend, who would faint if she turned her head the wrong way. Another man, whose wife I knew, had to stop driving, because if he sneezed or coughed, it would cause him to faint, something about how it cut off blood to brain due to his particular anatomy or something. Sadly, a second cousin, a firefighter in Alaska, died after he had a chiropractor visit, from something called hairdressors sink syndrome or something, where blood is cut off to head by a neck vertibrae or pressure on a certain place on neck due to anatomy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But if you are on pain meds, opiods, that will do it for sure. I couldn't take them when I hurt my knee, as I would faint, if I changed position. My brother, who has atrial fib, but no episodes for a long time, due to meds he is on, can't work bent over or he will faint if he raises up.

      Delete
    2. Strayer, that's all so helpful. How awful for a simple chiropractor visit went so terribly wrong. You are right about hydration and I try. Ray used to drink electrolyte drinks. I think to help stomach issues. I need to look at that. I only take Panadol, if you know that, and while it helps, it doesn't stop some pain. I will be desperate before I take anything stronger. Yes, I get what you say about your brother. If I squat down, I become dizzy when I stand, but I've seen that happen to young people too.

      Delete
    3. That's called "headrush" and is more common than you think. Unless your body is used to bouncing around like Mick Jagger it's best to rise more slowly to give the blood time to adjust.

      Delete
  5. Please look after yourself. It's a stressful time [I'm going through this with my dad's estate] and you need to take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, you are still sorting out father's estate? It takes time, it seems.

      Delete
  6. I would say visiting your GP to have Holter monitor organised and ambulatory 24-hour blood pressure tests to start with. If there were already arranged in the past, consider asking cardiologist for a loop recorder insertion which is under Medicare funding with your reported history. That many cardiac syncopes is a concern. Cardiac arrythmias usually come to mind. You may need a pacemaker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, my cardiologist assured me that my heart is functioning perfectly well. I had so many tests while in hospital that day. Everyone was thorough. My cardiologist and GP were informed. Associate Professor Cardio man said there was no need for further heart attention until my next appointment in February and a Holter two weeks before then. The future outpatient appointments at The Alfred will be cancelled. I do have A/F, I had ablation and take medication.

      Delete
  7. And have you had an ECG done? Just to check your heart rhythm, make sure you don't have heart block. Please be careful. Sounds like you've had a far too eventful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Pixie, among many other tests. My medical care is good and I mostly do what I am told.

      Delete
  8. I am very glad that this happened within the medical setting. It guarantees a close look at what's going on. You've had quite a stressful time of it and the fainting may be something as simple as that. However it is certainly something to be looked into.

    I knew that the car repair was going to hit a snag.

    And the ashes?

    I'd have totally lied. It's interesting because here, cremains can be mailed (internationally too), as long as they are sent priority mail. I would guess that is to guarantee special handling, which means that the gorillas are not allowed to handle your package.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, funny that both times were in medical places. I judge the first from going into shock and the second from extreme pain.

      At least the car is fine now.

      The ashes? Manana.

      I think I've watched too many Border Force tv and I am paranoid. Now what could the ashes be described as that would weigh similar? I can't send gravel to England. Coins? They are restricted, but I've not looked at the detail. If they were noted on a parcel xray, the ashes would not match metal coins.

      I think I will lie and send them via normal post. Yes, Aussie coins for kiddie relatives in England. If it fails to get through, there are plenty more ashes to try again.

      Delete
    2. Send them as some kind of cooking product: yeast or flour or something.

      Delete
  9. According to international mail, it says that cremains cost between $25 and $30 to ship and require a special 139 label that indicates that the package contains human remains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dollar figure is about what Australia Post will charge, but of course a good bit more in currency exchange rates.

      Delete
  10. All that you're doing, sure it wasn't simple fatigue that caused you to pass out? Well, the doctors would have told you, wouldn't they? Still, once this all passes, you'll deserve the vacations of vacations. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, no not fatigue. I get mentally tired, but not physically. You kicked me to thinking about a holiday after our winter winds down.

      Delete
  11. I am thinking like Debby. Send the ashes and don't declare them as such. Could you ask the funeral home that arranged everything if they have any suggestions? I am sure with our diverse population this is not an unusual circumstance.
    Hopefully all your other medical appointments will be less dramatic. I think you need to come to Lakes for a holiday. You can stay with L (her place is nicer than our current abode and she already suggested it) and we can take you out and distract you and wine and dine you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merlot, the funeral home will send them, for a fortune. I like your idea of visiting the Lakes, once the weather warms. I know L would welcome me, and you too. You could find out how boring I am!

      Delete
  12. The fainting is worrying and you should mention it at your doctor visit. perhaps it is a simple matter of drinking enough fluid throughout the day, but actual water, not wine or coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I am getting thorough medical care. But what you say? Wine and coffee are not hydrating? Ahh. I do drink a good bit of water. I should drink even more at certain times.

      Delete
    2. Coffee is DEhydrating. Get your oxygen levels checked.

      Delete
  13. All that stress doesn't help with the blood pressure either. You are certainly having an awful go with everything at the moment, things can only improve Andrew. Look after yourself and do be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I tell myself that things will get better, and they will. But once one medical matter is dealt with, another appears.

      Delete
  14. That is a miserable tale but probably due to what you have been through Do look after yourself and have people around you just checking. As one who takes blood pressure pills, I used to take them early but then always felt rather dizzy, so just took the pills with my coffee later on in the morning and it was fine.
    Paperwork is a misery but needs be done, either print out copies of the will and tell everyone they are not getting the original in case of loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thelma, I have no side effects at all from the seven different medications I take each day. You are right about originals, and no one has asked, yet. They won't get originals regardless. Certified seems to satisfy them.

      Delete
  15. You can do without all that. And even if there's nothing serious afoot, the testing etc is all a bit of a drama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie, it was good that I was thoroughly checked but the hospital doctors' concern about my heart was misplaced.

      Delete
  16. Don't be surprised, all this is only normal. If you loved someone deeply, your body is also grieving and you get all sorts of signs or illnesses, I realized this only now. There is nothing that can help, you have to go through it. And then there’s the paperwork. I couldn't speak at Rick's memorial service, I gave the text to a man who reads as a profession. And that was a good thing, I could stay seated. Now 2 years later I have a kind of black out and I can't remember everything. Unfortunately, no one can help you, you have to go through it alone, despite all the help and comfort from friends and family. It's a difficult time, and then starts a new "life" alone ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, as you have written is exactly how it is. All the kindness is wonderful but I can't see anything that I need help with. I can do it and it is down to me. I managed to speak at my mother's funeral last year. I think I can do so for Ray's. It will be well rehearsed.

      Delete
  17. Que te vaya muy bien, en todas tus pruebas, no hay más remedio que tener paciencia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are going through a lot, take care of yourself. It gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, two glasses of wine and the world seems much better.

      Delete
    2. Shyte Andrew that is VERY worrisome. I am so glad you are in good hands with the cardo. And repeated incidents of this need to be treated as you well know. Unexpected fainting can result in brain injury and no, we need you here, writing your life for us.
      All healing light go your way.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
    3. I know WWW. I am not sure what I can do more than trust the medical system.

      Delete
  19. All the processes that have to be gone through after a loved one has died are trying in the extreme. There are some very caring comments above so I won't repeat what others have said, but very much hoping your medical issues stay under control and you don't have any more unpleasant fainting episodes.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, I certainly hope there aren't further recurrences too.

      Delete
  20. Take it a bit easy, drink lots of water during the day, and then try to relax in the evening with a nice glass of something. It will all work out and you will have sorted everything, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are in my circle of concern and prayer. Andrew. Thank you for sharing with us all we are sending aloha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cloudia. The more care and concern, the better.

      Delete

The week that was

But in the meantime much was happening in the foreground for me, and not all particularly pleasurable.  A gay guy who I know through work, t...