Thursday, April 18, 2024

Sydney Day 7, the end

Having had dishwashers for most of my life, I hand washed dishes while we on holiday and it was revelation. Each morning after R's shower water was turned off, I washed a bowl, glasses and cups. I just left them sitting on the draining board and by the time we returned to our studio, they were dry and ready to put away, but I didn't, and it was a case of repeat the next day. 

Unlike our modern deep back breaking sink, this one was shallow. Unlike our severely restricted water saving sink tap, this tap could fill the sink in thirty seconds and with water hotter than we get at home.

We have some kind of draining board to put next to our sink. I've no idea where it is and its never been used. This smart old sink had an inbuilt draining board. 


Good morning kookaburra. 


Ibis are still around but don't seem to be as much of a pest as they were.


Signage on Sydney buses is frequently updated, such as this travel advice for January 26th, I'm sure advising well in advance for 2025.


A nice frangerpanni, sorry frangipani. Generally I get public transport right but not always. It has been years since we have visited The Rocks. Trains were disrupted so we would need to travel the wrong way and then the right way to get to Circular Quay. We could have walked to George Street and caught the L2/3 but no. There must be a bus to get us to The Rocks and there was. The distance didn't look far but that took no account of topography. We walked a good distance, and then up we went, steep road, stairs, ramps and then descended to The Rocks. R was not very happy. I really screwed up.  


Still, it was quite a photogenic walk and each time R collapsed onto the pavements, I found opportunities to take photos.
 

So much of Sydney City is cut out from rock.


There. We arrived. This looks expensive but quite good. The waiter wanted to shove us to back and out of sight to keep the front tables for the young and beautiful but I insisted we sit at the front.
 

Keeping in mind we are in a prime tourist place, our finger sandwiches, and Devonshire tea cost a bomb. The passing parade of people was amazingly constant. I couldn't believe the number of people. 


We wandered a bit. through a crowded market area. 


Then headed to the Quay to go back to our hotel. I think the trains were ok in that direction to get back.


The numbers of people at The Rocks were amazing, and we discovered why.


Yep, a very large cruise ship moored nearby.



I think I've looked up the Commissioners Steps in the past, but I can't remember. 


I am not game to name this building. I will get it wrong. 


For our last night we returned to Kinselas for dinner. We saw this guy cavorting in Oxford Street and then he came up to where we were seated. He was rather attractive. Two foot patrol police passed him by and so they should. Sydney's Taylor Square is the gayest place you can possibly be in Australia. The recently opened museum Qtopia Sydney - The home of Queer History and Culture, is across the road. I had planned to visit but didn't. Next time.  


No one took much notice of him, aside from me. I expect he is regular in some kind of manner.

Well, that's pretty well a wrap for our Sydney visit. The next day we caught the train to the airport and flew home, to collect our car from the long term carpark Value Car Park. We flew with Virgin Australia and it was fine, punctual and it just worked. We did have issues with boarding passes on our phones when going and when returning home. Staff advised it will just all work better for you if you print them out. I am only a stupid old man who doesn't understand mobile phones, ever though I've used computers, the internet and mobile phones since the mid 1990s. I stupidly thought boarding passes on our phones would just work. 

Here is a short clip of the fountain, as you can see the guy above over outside Kinselas.

29 comments:

  1. That is a HUMUNGOUS cruise ship. Not for me, but they obviously do well.
    Growing up at home my siblings and I were the dishwashers. And we didn't get one till quite late in my adulthood either.
    It sounds as if you had yet another good trip to Sydney, which is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I don't know why we never had to wash dishes when we were young, but we didn't. I don't think it was because we were boys, until Sister arrived. She did not do domestic duties either and had to learn to cook in her adult life. It's not a bad thing that she didn't learn to cook from Mother.

      Delete
  2. You should just be able to flip your boarding pass on your phone at whoever is taking the tickets. I do print mine out, but just because I'm so lacking in tech skills. I like the built in draining board. I did not know that a lot of Sydney was cut out of stone. Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, it worked as we cleared to board through the gate, but they had disappeared from our phones as we boarded the aircraft. Going to Sydney, the flight attendant wasn't concerned. Returning, the attendant would let us take our seats without a boarding pass.

      Delete
  3. The way you do your travel is quite relaxing and enjoyable exploring different corners of the city

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, we are of an age where we like to take it a bit easy.

      Delete
  4. Cruise ships amaze me at how big they've gotten; it's a wonder they don't tip over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, as we heard when we cruised to New Zealand a few years ago, 'Think of the social security savings to taxpayers if this ship sank'. Yes, it was an older demographic.

      Delete
  5. How very considerate of R to collapse often enough for you to get photos! Lovely photos too. I don't remember the last time I was in a market place like that, I used to enjoy the atmosphere of such places.
    I've heard we are soon to have enormous cruise ships here as they bypass Melbourne for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R can be kind at times River. I know cruise ships are avoiding Melbourne but I didn't know they were increasing Adelaide port calls. Most interesting. It is said Melbourne's port charges are too high.

      Delete
  6. They charged a fortune and you still had to knit your own tea cosies?
    The house we are renting doesn't have a dishwasher and the kitchen sink is massive with two bowls and two large draining boards. I prefer a dishwasher.
    One thing I learned from visiting Sydney is wherever you go there are hills involved. Especially at the Rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merlot, I needed my grandma to cast on for me.
      I would have guessed your preference was for a dishwasher.
      Oh yes, hills in inner Sydney, lots.

      Delete
  7. The yellow MCA looks like the Museum of Contemporary Art to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it is Hels. Now I wonder why we've never visited.

      Delete
  8. I wash dishes by hand each and every day and have for 27 years. The new house will have a dishwasher. I am happy about that.

    I never realized Sydney was carved out of stone. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, most of The Rocks seems to be carved out. I guess the name gives it away if I think about it.

      Delete
  9. Washing up by hand can be quite satisfying but for preference I use the dishwasher. Sydney looks full of interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, it is a great tourist city for very good reasons.

      Delete
  10. Nice pictures of your Sydney trip. Looks a good fountain, different.
    The ship is rather big and I guess many passengers as well.
    The eating house looks ok, but not into places that charge more because of where they are situated such a shame in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it is interesting that ships pull in right on the edge of the city.
      Charging more in high tourist areas is pretty well a standard around the world. The rent a business would pay would be higher, and delivery costs somewhat more without direct vehicle access.

      Delete
  11. I love the visual images you show of Sydney, but it looks to lively for me. As for washing up, I am quite happy to wash up at the sink, though we had a dishwasher, two is more companionable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thelma, it is lively but you take what you want from anywhere you visit. Do I detect there is some sadness that you don't anymore have a dishwasher for two?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my partner always said it was good to chat whilst washing up together. Paul died in 2019 but I still talk to him ;)

      Delete
  13. I made sure the Gite I am renting, has a dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A gite with a dishwasher TP. I am surprised. Gites have clearly changed.

      Delete
  14. I never thought of Sydney as being hilly or rocky but you are giving us such good tours of places that I now know better, Andrew.
    No dishwasher here but that is not my job so it doesn't bother me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, it is very rocky indeed with lots of small cliffs down to the harbour and a lot of rock cut away in places.

      Delete
  15. The dishes for your tea and sandwiches are beautiful. Happy to hear you got the young and beautiful area there instead of letting them hide you in the back. That's about the biggest ship I've seen. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, and given the location, it was very pleasant indeed. The ship isn't one I remember seeing or hearing the name of before. I have comment moderation on for posts older than four days.

      Delete

ANZAC night life changing

I will write in the future of the aftermath but here is the timeline of the night and what happened. It really helps me to write.  We had a ...