Sunday, March 17, 2024

Sunday Selections

I'm joining with River and others for Sunday Selections. They are photos taken I haven't used in posts before.

This is a sculpture in honour of former local councillor. It looked like it had a water feature and so with this photo I posed the question to a local Facebook group. Apparently it did and the water feature pump etc was replaced in about 2010. The water worked for a while but again failed and it hasn't worked for years. It's a pity but no one seems to care too much. 


There was a bit of ouch moment here for someone.


I don't know why these Yank Tanks were here but they do look grand. 


Now, that is one very busy Victorian balcony railing. But apparently not busy enough for the residents of this house. They had to add more.


I've seen this 'boy' performing for years. He and I assume his sister are terrific and wow, do the dollars roll into their collection plate. While you may think he is 9 years old, I think he is late teens. 


Melbourne's grand GPO, General Post Office. One would think that within there would be some kind of Post Office, but there isn't. There's an H&M and some small businesses. 


Still at the GPO, why were these lamps left next to the entrance steps?



A naïve young lad at the age of 16 may have visited the Liberated Book Shop and discovered plastic covered magazines with lots of photos of men liking men in a very special way.


The ever so interesting gambling, food and drinks venue Clocks at Flinders Street Station. We were there last night  (a couple of weeks ago) and I had Barramundi (fish) wings with rice and an Asian salad. 


I wonder what the quiet time involves in a supermarket? Muzak will be off but the 'fridge motors can't be turned off. 


Rather strange winter evening lighting. 




A busy hoarding and I have no idea where it is. 


A Citroen DS, rare to see on the roads now. In the second year of my motor mechanic apprenticeship a chap came into the garage where I worked and his Citroen DS had collapsed itself to the paving. This was not normal. It should be floating on air, and only elegantly and slowly sink. My boss asked me to have a look at it, but how could I see anything when it was flat on the ground? Being French, nothing was the same as Australian and English cars. Eventually I found the fuse box, and all was fine there. It was subsequently towed to the serious workshop staffed by one old man who did all the hard stuff with cars, like replacing motors and transmissions. It was a car of the time that I never drove, and I regret that. I drove all sorts of different and interesting cars, even if just from the parking area to a hoist. The veterinarian who looked after our farm cattle drove one and his had two headlights each side, one shining straight ahead and the other attached to the steering system and they showed where the car was turning rather than straight ahead. 


Reflected in the glass building next door, I can see if there is anyone on the tennis court, in the pool and in the spa. The solid roofed part is the gym, toilet, shower and sauna. 


Look at this trail of yachts. Why wasn't I told. This is an annual event that has been running for many years, where yachts race from Port Melbourne to Geelong. I'd never heard of it.

36 comments:

  1. "Meeting at the clocks in Flinders St Station" was a regular spot to meet up with friends. But when did it becomes a site for pleasant eating and drinking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, the venue has been there for many years now. Unfortunately it covered over part of Mirka Mora's mural.

      Delete
  2. Another great selection. I especially like the winter evening light photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, possibly there were showers around as the sun was setting when I took the evening light photos.

      Delete
  3. A nice mix of photographs, Andrew. I like the lamps and the Victorian balcony is very . . . interesting. I really like your last photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JB. The lamps were curiously positioned and seemed to have no purpose.

      Delete
  4. thecontemplativecat here . Lovely photos. the sunset on the buildings is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CC. I'm glad I took the photos of the sunset.

      Delete
  5. An entertaining Sunday selection you have revealed in your photos. I like the basking shot which is full of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roentare. I hope you come across the buskers. They really are so talented.

      Delete
  6. Yank tanks. Ha! I like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, it was an often used expression when I was growing up, and we did have quite a lot of such cars here.

      Delete
  7. That first one really needs the water feature put back in.
    And I love a good Yank Tank; man, cars WERE tanks back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the water feature Bob. I was disappointed to not see the cars on the streets of New York when we were there.

      Delete
  8. Your hoarding is in Murrumbeena.
    I didn't know barramundi had wings? Please explain.
    Those old citroens were beautiful cars. Friends back in the day had one and it was a lovely ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it is Merlot, snapped as we headed from the station to Katrina's Kitchen for some frozen meals. I think barramundi are fish tails with meat on them and sit vertically on our plate. Obviously a take on buffalo wings. There wasn't much meat on the them.
      Yes, those Citroens bragged 'floating on air'.

      Delete
  9. I drove a few Peugeot 504s and 505s. After years of driving a variety of cars I have a lot of trouble knowing where the indicator and windscreen wipers are!
    They were fabulous cars, though.

    The councillor honoured by the sculpture at the top of the post must have been very special. That sculpture rivals some of the fancier memorial installations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie, there was so much alien about French cars but they were very good cars. Maybe that's an aphorism for immigrants.
      A brief read about the councillor he did seem quite impressive.

      Delete
  10. You had Barramundi wings?? You've got flying fish there?? I like the winter evening lighting, a burst of sunlight between clouds I'd guess.
    I like the over crowded balcony, looks like something I might do. I like all those lamps beside the steps too and wonder why they are there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, flying fish are a thing, aren't they? The crowded balcony just amuses me. Yes, who knows what the lamps were about.

      Delete
  11. A good mixture. Beautiful late afternoon sunlight. I would like to listen to those two young talented buskers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fun60. The buskers are quite brilliant.

      Delete
  12. I guess there are a lot of yacht races we don't hear about.
    The photos are nice to see and a good selection Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, maybe there are many yacht races never mentioned. I can't remember any coverage of the race from Melbourne to Hobart along the western coast of Tasmania around when the Sydney to Hobart race is on.

      Delete
  13. Yank Tanks made me laugh. How long did you work as a mechanic's apprentice? I would have never expected that. The balcony? There is a name for that. I don't know if it has reached your shores. It is called Bohemian Maximalism, or Boho Max for short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, over three years but I didn't qualify. I didn't like getting my hands dirty. Yes, Boho, a fond term for real estate agents, has been and gone. I can't remember the Max addition though.

      Delete
  14. There was a shop in Midway Kentucky that specialized in the the Citrone with the hydraulic suspension, in the late 90's he had the largest collection of parts for them in North America. Midway is about halfway between Lexington and the state Capital at Frankfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, there must have been quite a lot of them around then.

      Delete
  15. That's a lot of yachts. I have a couple lamps that hold large candles, for when the power is out and my batteries are dead, not as large as those piled outside GPO. Has never happened. The wax candles I've replaced with electric ones now. Our Walmart has an early quiet hour shopping for sensory sensative people. I looked up the Citreon and it talks about its hydro pneumonic suspension, which must be what failed in the car you looked at. They are certainly beautiful cars. I read that to lower the cars center of gravity, they built the upper half from fiberglass while the lower half was still its trademark steel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I didn't know about the fibre glass metal mix. Interesting. Walmart's quite hour might be too early for some.

      Delete
    2. I really enjoyed this. The 'Yank Tank' term really hits home and cracked me up. Well done. And I appreciate the conversation here.

      By the way, Strayer's blog is how I found yours, in case I never mentioned it. Best wishes!

      Delete
  16. I love the Yank Tank expression. It is so suitable. Love that first 'fountain' but too bad about the water bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I made enquiries and apparently the water has worked off and on over the years.

      Delete
  17. "Yank tanks" -- ha!

    I never think of a supermarket as a particularly noisy place, unless they're restocking the shelves. So it's interesting that they have a quiet hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve must be the long lost twin that I never knew I had because he took not just one but both of my comments!

      Yes, yes, yes, what DOES happen in that supermarket at other days between 10:30 and 11:30, and do they throw you out if you make noise during quiet hour?

      Yank Tanks! They were too, the metal being so thick that--had I thought of it--I could have danced riotously in tap shoes atop my '56 Fairlane, and by god the only evidence wouldn't have been dents but foot prints.

      Delete
    2. Snowy, you and Steve don't look alike, so I doubt you are twins.
      I've never thought of supermarkets as being noisy. One of our major supermarkets has its own digital radio station and it plays inoffensive music at a low volume...actually, I don't recall hearing it of late.
      We had those Fairlanes here and what a beautifully comfortable car they were as the wallowed along the roads, handling somewhat like a boat.

      Delete

Unexpectedly bereft

The most wonderful person I've ever known has suddenly died, Thursday night Australian time. He was kind, generous with a great outgoing...