Saturday, December 2, 2023

Rochester 3

We checked out before 10am on the Sunday and planned to brunch at the local bakery where we bought cake the day before. It was not to be as it was closed. This seems so silly as Sunday would be a busy day for the bakery. If it wanted to close, Monday or Tuesday would be better days. We went back to the cafe where we brunched the day before and shared a large sausage roll with coffee, and on our way we went. 

Normally I would not write about an uneventful trip home but Tradie Brother convinced me it would not be too far out of our way to visit Colbinabbin. I think I've broken my tongue, so don't even try to pronounce the name. We don't know and neither does Tradie Brother. Colbo for short. It is a bit of a one horse town without much of interest, except these.

Ah, just to slip this one in as we departed Rochester. It is always nice to see a good clock. 

Margaret reminded me that I took a photo of the Shamrock Hotel where we dined the first night. It is a great example of the hotel style at the time and a great example of a thorough incompetent behind a phone camera.


With a smaller hotel right next door.


These huge and heavy trucks break up roads everywhere. Clearly roads now need to be built to a higher standard. There were a lot of these trucks travelling through the centre of town. 


So, more silo art in Colbo. 


Annual picnic day perhaps.


There is a tractor pulling competition.


Noisy it seems. 


The CFA is a volunteer fire fighting organisation. 


The local train station with waiting passengers.


The piece de resistance. R took a selfie and it looked like smoke from the train was pouring into his head, rather like I took a camera photo in the '80s of a water spout coming out of his head at the Lake Burley Griffin. Maybe the train trucks being towed are full of wheat. 


Song lyrics encouraging people to visit Colbo.


I didn't link to him yesterday but Tim Bowtell painted these silos, the same artist who painted the Iddles Lane mural panels I showed you yesterday.

We are away again this weekend for the scattering of Mother's and Step Father's ashes. Back soon.

24 comments:

  1. That silo art is wonderful. We saw some great murals and silo art on our Tassie visit in 2019.
    Some talented artists down there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, I didn't know they have silo art in Tasmania, let alone silos to store grain. I must check this out.

      Delete
    2. Ah, perhaps I confused that with a previous trip down under. The old brain gets easily confused these days...

      Delete
  2. The silos are cool, but they also remind me of that scene in "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" when the queens walk into the hotel (in Broken Hill, I think?) that's plastered with murals on all the walls and ceilings. "Tack-o-rama!" one of them exclaims.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Steve. It is a long time since I've watched Priscilla and I can only imagine the intonation.

      Delete
  3. I love the silo art. I would really like to do a tour of it.
    I hope this weekend goes well. Another step...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it seems like the very final step. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Rochester used to be my regular pee stop whenever I want to drive from Bendigo to Echuca or Shepparton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, I would guess it is a pee stop for many people although perhaps Elmore too.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing more cool photos. By the way, I think your images are better than most of mine. lol Be safe on your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are convincing me to do that silo trip even more.
    I found scattering my parents' ashes a very moving experience that brought a sense of peaceful endings. I hope yours is similar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just can't get over the art in your corner of the world. It really is everywhere. My thoughts are with you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Silo art! The silo art trail is on my list. Soon, I hope
    Those grand old hotels are fabulous and the camera operator is too harsh on himself

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really Great Silo Art! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These silos are just gorgeous and it's unfortunate we didn't go see them.
    The Hotel is amazing, love that type of architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The late Victorian pubs are still gorgeous, just as we saw all over Western Victoria's larger cities and small towns. I am not a beer drinker myself, but the historical architecture should be preserved very carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The murals are wonderful, so full of life and movement.
    I hope the weekend goes well - sadness and relief mixed, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is a certain style there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous silo art, there should be more like it. And the horror of those trucks - in so many ways in our limping getting more lifeless world of fossil fuels.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love those hotels but really love that amazing silo art. Nice visuals in that town, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the train traveling across three silos. And that's a great-looking hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic silo art Andrew. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals. Good luck with the scattering of your parent's ashes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE the silo art. Each was a great work of art in its own right.

    ReplyDelete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...