Monday, November 6, 2023

Sydney Day 7

This was our last full day in Sydney and we didn't have anything really planned. We decided to walk to the city shops and have a look around the Queen Victoria Building. It is quite stunning.

The clock wasn't working and so we didn't see the action at the hour. I forget what it is now.

We had brunch in an open area not far from the centre entrances and while I can't remember what we ate, it was excellent, not expensive, and with quick and pleasant service. Good work Metropole Cafe.

We caught the tram northward in the city to Martin Place and had a wander. This is the centre third rail from where the tram picks up its power. It is only electrified when the power collector shoe is in contact with the rail, so it is not unsafe to walk on, aside from slipping if it is wet.


Looking eastwards along Martin Place.




Sydney's former General Post Office is a very grand building in Martin Place.


A nice enough but not mesmerising water feature.


What are these? Nice. Opposite the cafe where the siege happened was the studio of tv Channel 7.




We returned to our hotel for a rest but I went out again and from the nearby stop in William Street I caught the 324 bus to Watsons Bay. You can see the route here. Sorry about the window dots in photo. The bus followed the old tram route to Watsons Bay.



More on all over bus window advertising in my Sydney summary post, but you can guess.



I didn't hang around too long at Watsons Bay. I've been there and seen it all. This is called The Gap, an infamous place where so many people have suicided by diving off the cliff edge onto the rocks below. Now there are fences, cameras and local monitoring of folk who seem like they have an intent. 




I caught the 325 bus back. It has a more winding route and what a great trip it was, as the bus travelled via the upper path, beautiful streets, twisting and turning, up hill and down dale. There were some terrific views along the way.




I think this is Rose Bay.


We felt like a basic pub meal on our last night and we knew how to get one. We bussed a stop or two to Taylor Square, an important location for Sydney's gay history. 


We had a nice drink and meal at Kinselas. We chose our meal from a menu and it arrived piping hot from the pub to the right of this photo, the Courthouse Hotel. 





The Oxford Hotel in the background, where we dined for our first night in Sydney. 


I was a bit doubtful the next morning when I checked our flight home time as the official Jetstar site was saying Google indicated our flight home would be late. I checked and cross checked, and the flight home did seem to be late. But why no phone text or email from Jetstar to tell us? While R was infuriated by our late train arrival to Sydney, he was quite relaxed about our delayed flight, which ended up being an hour late. JetStar's poor reputation seems to be well deserved.  




30 comments:

  1. Reflection is a lovely memorial. And who knew that Tori Johnson's memorial sunflowers would later have world wide significance.
    The QVB is a lovely building. From memory many of the shops inside are v expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was such a good permanent memorial to them both EC. I expect at QVB there are a lot of visitors but not too many buyers for the reason you suggest.

      Delete
  2. These are lovely photos. Thank you again for sharing. I'm like you, otherwise busying myself while my husband naps (like right this minute). As for water features, even the simplest keep my simple self happy. lol Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darla. We humans do like to see falling water.

      Delete
  3. Queen Victoria building is such a splendor. The whole design is looking so good. The kind of stroll you do is the most enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a slow stroll Roentare. We are of a certain age. But still we move.

      Delete
  4. The Queen Victoria building is stunning! I really enjoyed the chance to look around there. The Siege. You know, I've never heard it called that, but as soon as I read it, I knew you were talking about the LIndt terrorist. I cannot believe that it has been over 9 years. The tribute is very sweet though. I've never seen one like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, shame to me. I had forgotten the name Lindt. I really liked the unusual memorial to the such different pair who died.

      Delete
  5. The Queen Victoria building does look a bit elegant inside.
    The photos are good, and it's also interesting to know where the Gap is exactly as I've never bothered to find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it is a narrow strip of land at the southern head of Sydney Harbour. One side is Watsons Bay, calm waters, with the famous Doyle's seafood restaurant (overrated) and the other side not very far away, The Gap with the Pacific Ocean rolling in.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos, I love the old buildings very much. I remember Watson's Bay, K was stationed there for two years and for some function or other we were invited, so he drove to work early in the morning and later in the day I took three small children (ages 2,4,6)on public transport all the way in their best new clothes and they were so well behaved for the whole trip I got several compliments. I think K was being presented with something at his farewell dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely memory River. You would have been on a bus. Your six year old might remember it. Ask him,?

      Delete
  7. Oh Andrew.. one of my favourite architectural treasures in Sydney was the Queen Victoria Building, as much for its stunning architectural and decorative art history.. as for shopping. In fact when I first started blogging early this century, it was one of the first posts I wrote.

    Have a look at the long photo of the centre of the QVB.

    https://melbourneblogger.blogspot.com/2009/09/elegant-shopping-qvb-sydney.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 2009 effort was a great post Hels. I note Style and Relax ceased posting in 2014 and Street Traveller's blog has gone.

      Delete
  8. I agree that the insides of the Queen Victoria building is stunning. The combination of the colors and sun coming through the skylights is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, while we have seen the building a number of times, I always see it differently each time. It is quite something.

      Delete
  9. Queen Victoria building is beautiful. I remember seeing that tribute to the Lindt cafe siege.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Sami. You stayed there at times while Jose was working in Sydney.

      Delete
  10. Bellas fotografías, de tu estancia en la ciudad.
    Me ha gustado la belleza de las escaleras y de la arquitectura del edificio, en donde se encuentra las escaleras.
    Que tengas una buena semana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. The stairs really did look terrific, not that I would want to walk up them.

      Delete
  11. Once I get the station or airport on time, it is beyond my control, I try not to let it bother me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, that is the way to think about it I guess. You try not to let it bother you. Yes.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful architecture in those first photos, both the Queen Victoria Building and Martin Place. I have heard about those dangerous cliffs -- glad there are measures to protect people now.

    Have you ever been to the Imperial Hotel in Erskineville, where parts of "Priscilla" were filmed? If I ever went to Sydney, I'd want to go there, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The measures help and delay Steve but don't stop determined jumpers. I believe methods used by help call lines is to keep delaying any action and some sense will come through.

      We were very close to the hotel when we visited Newtown, a couple of hundred metres away. But it was morning and while we haven't been to the hotel, we may in future visits. I had forgotten about the Imperial and Priscilla.

      Delete
  13. You had a very busy day. The Queen Victoria building looks wonderful and looks to be in great condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, it was renovated very well a couple of decades ago, I think. It came close to being demolished.

      Delete
  14. I didn't know about the memorial tiles in Martin Place, so will check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, the flowers didn't make sense and because of the upgrade to the station, nothing seemed familiar to me until we saw the plaque. The siege seems like yesterday but it was nine years ago now.

      Delete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...