Thursday, November 2, 2023

Sydney Day 6

No one can visit Sydney and not catch the ferry to Manly. Well, we can't. 

We walked through Hyde Park to catch a tram from Town Hall to Circular Quay. 

A path to nowhere. 


Gosh, R snapped a photo of a tram. Note the 'third rail' in the centre of the tracks where in most of George Street, the tram picks up power from the rail and not overhead wires. It was argued that overhead wires were ugly, but this surface power pick up system has not been reliable and when in thirty years the trams have to be replaced, the government will be on the back foot so far as purchase price, as it will need to buy the trams from the same manufacturer. 


We have made the ferry trip to Manly countless time, but every time we forget the ferry leaves from Wharf 3. 


These new ferries are faster than the old by about five minutes but are much smaller and less stable when near the harbour heads. I think at least the mega popular 11.00am Sunday service to Manly is run by one of the old larger ferries. Dr Catherine Hamlin as the ferry is named was a marvellous women who helped so many woman in Africa with obstetric fistula. 


The coathanger looking good.


I am pleased with this photo of the Opera House. 



Admiralty House is our Governor General's Sydney home, he being the King's Australian representative in Australia. Nice lawn. I wouldn't mind living there.


Zooming across the harbour.


The controversial Blues Point Tower behind and under the bridge blending it to its surroundings. 


Here we are at Manly. We brunched at Fusion Point, as is our want. 


It was a woman in this case, and I removed the photo before this because of the woman in a g string, or thong if you like. Before you ask, I don't want to see men wearing them on the beach either. Tantalising underwear can be good, but exposing the desired is not.


Looking north. 


Shark mouths? We returned to the Quay and trains weren't running between the Quay and Central. Replacement bus to Museum Station was indicated, but then a 333 bus arrived to take us closer to our hotel with a slight downhill walk rather than an uphill walk. 


Are we supposed to stop and admire this public art?


A neatly trimmed flowering hedge and I should know the name of the plant but it won't come to me. 


I no longer write a holiday point diary about we what have done. I rely on a combination of photo dates and Google Maps Timeline history, and all indicate once we back at our hotel, I did nothing in the afternoon while R rested. Maybe that was the day I took some view photos and refuse to admit I took a fall. This post is long enough already, so there will be a separate post about old man falling flat on his face.

So this Saturday was my birthday and it was arranged to meet Victor and C for dinner at Bill and Toni's Italian restaurant down the hill in East Sydney? Darlinghurst?

I think we all managed to get words in over dinner and it was a fun night. I think I chose a pizza but the food mattered not so much when in good company.

It was lively outside in Stanley Street. I didn't notice at the time that this woman was in my photo, but I rather like the result.  



I kind of recognise some faces in this photo at the restaurant, but I can't really name anyone.

To get to the restaurant was an easy and steep downhill walk. But what comes down, must go up! C walked up the the gentler hill of Riley Street to his bus stop and we were quickly back at our hotel. Logic denies this but it easier to walk up this less steep hill for a bit further and to a slightly higher elevation than the steep street we used to walk down. 

35 comments:

  1. Some lovely and iconic photos today. And no, seeing people in thongs doesn't float my boat/ferry.
    You fell? I hope it was only your dignity that was hurt. And at what age does I fell become I took a fall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, pretty well only dignity was injured. Indeed, I don't know what the falling age is.

      Delete
  2. Great photos again, and good that you enjoyed your birthday so much. Belated birthday wishes from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sydney does have a few high-end restaurants to enjoy. The quay and the harbour views are indeed very gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, we may be able to afford high-end but we wouldn't feel comfortable in high-end.

      Delete
  4. For once I find a modern building beautiful ! The portable is really unique !

    ReplyDelete
  5. The opera house is one of my favorite buildings anywhere in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, while Australians aren't generally good at self praise or chest thumping, I think we are quite proud of the Opera House. If you look at its history, it almost wasn't.

      Delete
  6. Some lovely photos. You paint Sydney in a beautiful light.
    I know what you mean about hills. We used to live on the hill of death. If I wasn't feeling up to it I would walk up the hill of considerable pain which was longer but less steep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Note Merlot, we did not travel west and we saw the best. Yes, the quickest is not always the easiest.

      Delete
  7. Reading about obstetric fistula made me ill. Thank you for spreading the word. And I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darla, fistulas are nothing in the western world but a really serious issue in developing countries.

      Delete
  8. Ah, I was hoping you'd get to the famous opera house.

    I'm not going to name every character or actor in that restaurant picture, but all of them can found in The Godfather, Scarface, and The Sopranos, U.S. movies and TV shows about organized crime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anyone with an elliptical will tell you that it does NOT deny logic you can walk farther on a gentler slope than you can a shorter distance on a steep incline.

    That Blue Point Tower does not look so bad from the perspective you shot it at, but clicking on the link shows that it is quite an eyesore. Eep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, thank you. It didn't make sense but it does now.

      The tower was built in a time of corruption. Say no more.

      Delete
  10. Nice photos Andrew. The ones of the 'house' are good. I know some of those faces too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta Margaret.

      It was an interesting work of art.

      Delete
  11. I forgot to say Happy Birthday last time. The beach looks wonderful and your dinner sounds nice. That woman on the ferry looks like me, but I don't have a bag that colour, nor am I in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woman looks like you River? Are you Asian? It was a nice birthday and not too much fuss as it was when Mother was around.

      Delete
    2. No, just short and round. A bit rounder than the woman pictured. And I have the grey hair.

      Delete
  12. I always enjoy seeing photos of iconic buildings. I agree that power lines above the trams are ugly but if changing them to the roadway means they are ineffective then there's no point really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, tram overhead lines can be minimal now with thin poles and few fittings on the wires. But Sydney paid big time and will continue to pay for the inground power supply. As I recall, the city you know well enough, Manchester, the tram overhead wiring is fairly discreet.

      Delete
  13. I think the tram is beautiful, no matter that it is not very efficient;-) The Opera House is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, with a vague idea of where you live, you don't have trams. Thank you.

      Delete
  14. Hills and stairs are a bigger challenge as we mature.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is good that you enjoyed your birthday meal with friends.
    The power source in the ground would certainly not work here so I just try to ignore the wires when I shoot a pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, while the system can cope with rain, even flooding, I don't know of it being used where there is extreme cold and snow. It's not so hard to edit out the wires from a photo but then the photo is no longer an accurate record.

      Delete
  16. Belated birthday buzz and congrats (which is more important than the happy part). A very long time ago a good male friend told me it was more important to conceal than reveal as it was far more sexy. I never forgot that. I was like 18 or 19 and I was doing a lot of stagework then. Thongs look downright uncomfortable along with the Big (or small) Reveal.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW, I agree very much with your friend. Tease is a good word. I like the tease of what I can't see.

      Delete
  17. The opera house is such a remarkable building. I hope I get to see it someday. I could do without the "coathanger" but I guess if you see one, you see the other!

    I'm with you on thongs, 100 percent. Not a good look on anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I've never heard anyone, local or not, say they don't like the Opera House.

      Delete

It's all about me

I've always liked this phrase and I wouldn't have a clue about its origins, the phrase being 'All over the place like a mad woma...