Sunday, November 12, 2023

Sunday Selections and moths

It has been a while but I am joining in with Elephant's Child and River for Sunday Selections. I have quite a backlog of photos saved for this purpose.

An ever so unobservant tosser who has ignored plenty of signs, following a tram where cars should not be. 


Little yachts for little people to learn to sail on Albert Park Lake, paid for by their rich daddies who I guess would have a full sized yacht moored at a nearby marina. 


Is the tower block on fire?


Has it exploded in flames? No, it is just reflecting the dying sun. I reckon I could have started a War of the Worlds or terrorist type scare with these photos. 


Not so timely, taken in the Queen Victoria Gardens.



Wind did not cause the daffodils to fall flat. I suspect the yoof had a bit of a roll around in the daffs.


These figures have been removed, and I remember a blogger, Steve?, showing something similar. Aren't the figures just so creepy? 


Except for the Autumn harvest festival time?, I really like City of Melbourne's annuals planting outside the town hall. 


As I type this the last horse racing meeting for the Melbourne Cup season has been run. This is some appropriate footpath paving near our second most important race course, Caulfield. 


This is not it but Tradie Brother with the deaf white dog called Dog has built his own public dog library in a public place.


I've yet to Guggle it but I read that my new phone has optical zoom rather than just digital zoom. It can't be much zoom as nothing mechanically protrudes from the phone and I know the best feature of my proper camera is it x40 optical zoom. I was trying to take a photo with my phone of bug on our balcony door and the camera would not focus at all. I was so annoyed by why it wouldn't switch to macro. I turned it on the petunia in a pot and it did switch to macro and the photo is fine. To go off topic a bit, I think petunias have emotions. Give a well watered and drained petunia some hot sun and it basks in gratitude and its blooms' pleasure is visible. That is what happened this morning at 7am with the temperature at 25/80. By 8am the wind had changed to a cold southerly blaster, straight from the Antarctic and I saw it change to distressed and miserable looking as the temperature dropped to 17/64.  


The bug was on glass and either that or the reflections caused my phone camera to not focus. This morning the bug was down on the balcony paving and I am quite impressed by the macro photo. You can see that one of its antennae is quivering, hence the blur. 

But hey, I hear you cry, the moths. Friday was around 31/92 and for the whole day cabbage moths streamed past in the gap between us and the next quite tall building. Thousands might be an exaggeration, but a couple of thousand would not be. It went all day until about 6pm as the day cooled down. This morning by 7am when I rose, the stream of cabbage moths was back up and running. As soon as the afore mentioned wind change occurred and the temperature cooled, the stream stopped. I took photos and naturally enough, photos of moths from a distance were a fail. 

We've lived here for twenty one years and we've never seen such a thing, well except for similar a few years ago when a mass hatching down below of monarch butterflies that are programmed to go north happened, so they fly up the side of south wall of our building to get over the top to fly north. 

Clearly something is up with cabbage moths, as Marie mentioned in my last post and photos I've seen on Twitter of gardens being invaded by the moths. Maybe The Birds is not the scariest film. It could be the moths that get you. 

28 comments:

  1. I do love your eclectic collection but it is the dog library which has me smiling widest this morning. We have seen few cabbage moths this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, the dog library is quite funny. There are any more days on the horizon that will be warm enough for a repeat of the what happened.

      Delete
    2. Because I am Sue's foremost disciple, I invariably agree with whatever she says, although in this case, I would have said that the "dog library" was my favorite anyway. The beetle with the yellow necklace and undies is lovely, but s/he certainly looks like a creature who is off to dine in someone's garden.

      Delete
    3. Snowy, haha about the beetle and its dress sense. What would be in a cat public library, I wonder.

      Delete
  2. What room does a phone camera have to include an optical zoom? They must be mechanically tinier these days. Aw, the baby yachts for the rich kids. You really could have started a public panic with the reflection fire, if posted in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, as yet I haven't verified that about the zoom. No wonder the phone is quite heavy.

      Delete
  3. Love the bug shot. Looks so exquisite! The sun photo is a result of sensor blooming. You should have to lower compensation by two stops. The colour flooding will go away. It would be gloomier like end of the world. These interesting views from my beloved Melbourne are very invigorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roentare. I liked the effect but it is good to know how to stop it.

      Delete
  4. thecontemplativecat here. My son is an entomologist and has shared his passion with us. Excellent shot. I have some eclectic shots as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC, that must be such an interesting job. There are no end of questions to be answered.

      Delete
  5. We have cabbage moths here as well.
    And for question the other day, if mash up banana. Yes, I do.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dora. I will inform Household Management for the next time he makes pancakes.

      Delete
  6. What phone do you have, Andrew?
    That stick library looks familiar!
    Cabbage moths galore here, too. One the other day and dozens the next.
    The towering inferno is a great shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merlot, it is a Samsung S23 Ultra. It has five lens looking things at the back.
      With a strong wind from the west blowing, maybe moths hatched here will become your garden pests.

      Delete
  7. I remember watching small yachts at Port Pirie beach on the other side of the breakwater where it is deeper, I could often hear the kids yelling to each other and laughing as they learned to sail. at school, these were the kids that always had new shoes and perfectly fitting uniforms, yet oddly enough I wasn't jealous.
    That "flaming" tower does look frightening, like something from a war zone.
    Those figures are creepy and vaping has been on the news lately with stories of illegal substances in them, kids getting addicted and the nicotine content which isn't supposed to be in there at all, is so high that smoking one vape is equal to smoking two full packs of regular cigarettes. I may be remembering that wrong a bit, but I wish vaping had never been invented.
    The Town Hall flowers are very lovely, are they cinerarias?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I painted kids in small yachts negatively but I think it is great recreation for them.

      I really don't understand vaping. As I understand it a huge business model has been built on the sale of what is illegal. Did I hear that this coming January, illegal importation of vapes will be enforced, meaning all the vaping shops will go broke. It's like illegal electric scooters, illegal Uber and now vaping. The government lets the illegal flourish until they become too big to fail.

      I couldn't remember the name, but yes, cineraria.

      Delete
  8. That is crazy about the cabbage moths and we will trust that you will be back with a report when the mystery is explained.

    The stick library. Honest to god, until I clicked and enlarged the picture, I thought that I was looking at a snake that had inexplicably parked himself there with a sign. Perhaps 'Homeless. Hungry. Any little bit helps.'

    That building in the dying sun is amazing. It does look scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't count on there being a moth explanation from me Debby, but I might try. Yes, I can see what looks like a snake tail in the library pile.

      Delete
  9. The front of the Town Hall looks terrific. There is no reason why an over-developed concrete and stone city cannot celebrate with trees and flower boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, the town hall flower boxes always look good, except for the Harvest Festival display. Town Hall is like many of our Victorian era, just brilliant.

      Delete
  10. No moth problems here, but no beautiful flowers either ! For the moment I should live in your part of the world. In two days it's over here in my apartment and I will play the princess. It's about time I still have this bronchitis !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, your health is not great but you are managing. Soon you will be able to relax in your lovely new home. It stretches my memory to remember I have been reading your blog well before you moved from your house, from your time in the apartment and Rick dying and now on to a new lifestyle. Go well girlfriend.

      Delete
  11. The dog library is fun and the bug is interesting. I liked your observations on petunias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, knowing dogs a little, they are more likely to take and not return.

      Delete
  12. Okay. Knowing that you could not be relied upon to investigate and report: warm, wet weather produced a bumper crop of food for a bumper crop of caterpillars which have hatched out into caterpillars. Lots and lots of them. These caterpillars happen every year. It is just that this year the numbers are extraordinarily high.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debby, I thank you for your research and you are quite right about me not being relied upon to follow up. It was supposed to have been an extremely warm winter here. How come it didn't feel like it? That must be the quite common green caterpillar we often see.

    ReplyDelete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...