Saturday, October 28, 2023

Sydney Day 4

Thursday and our time away is rapidly passing. Our friend Victor has shown us some marvellous places in Sydney that we probably wouldn't have otherwise seen, such as the northern shores of the harbour, the old quarantine station, the Hydro Majestic Hotel in the Blue Mountains and he and his friend C came with us to travel on the Hawksbury River mailboat where we had lunch on board the boat as it delivered mail and parcels to water locked areas. 

This time he and C picked us up and we all drove the mostly inland route to the northern beaches, Palm Beach in particular. This part of outer Sydney is a delight and the stored wealth in housing is beyond belief. It is said that Australia is a very rich country and it is, except the wealth is very unevenly distributed. 

Victor has a personal connection to a part of the area, experienced during his formative years. We stopped off at a lovely little spot to take in the air and see the views. A map tells me we were looking out across the Hawksbury River to Currawong Beach, accessible only by walking track or boat. 



This direction dial was so worn out, it was barely readable.




We travelled the short distance to Palm Beach where the bay is used as 'Summer Bay' in the soap Home and Away. It was just so beautiful. Looking south. 


A bigger take.


Looking north with Barrenjoey light house featuring. 


Oh, my sand photo was photo bombed.


Isn't this just so cute. It was just sitting there we were sitting, without an apparent owner.


We moved on to the next beach of our choice, Mona Vale. I love seeing the flat rocks that will no doubt be covered by water


I've seen references to a sea bath of this being called rock pool but I am not sure. Use your own Google. 


Looking south.



We lunched at Fusion Point in Manly and Victor then took us to Sydney Harbour's North Head.



Looking south, there is South Head. What a surprise. 

It was a big day out and once back at the hotel, R took his afternoon rest. We had a drink at the very quiet mostly gay Colombian Hotel. More mixy is The Riley and The Burdekin and they were a bit busier. We should have gone to one them. The Thai restaurant at the base of our hotel is very good and is a training school for mostly Asian students. The food is always so tasty.

34 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They are indeed Bob, but senior gentleman are not so keen on walking on sand.

      Delete
    2. River, I qualify that, soft sand. It is hard work and R once injured his back while doing so.

      Delete
  2. See those houses overlooking Palm Beach? I want to live there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you Hels. It is just amazing how they are built on steep land, but I think there is expertise for that in Sydney.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful beaches. I think what you call a sea bath is what I call an ocean pool and some might call it a tidal pool. I think they are a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I like tidal pool, as that is what they are.

      Delete
  4. Some of my most favourite parts of Sydney. You didn't do the walk up the lighthouse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merlot, you are familiar with that part of Sydney. You continue to surprise. The light house, no...two words you wrote, 'walk up'. We avoid up unless the is some motorised method.

      Delete
  5. You couldn't have been too disappointed photobombed by that sexy young man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, do I detect some doubt in your tone about my sand photo?

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. EC, he went for a swim, strutted along the sand, walked up and down the beach path and returned to his car, parked next to Victor's. A right poser, but four old queens didn't mind.

      Delete
  7. Always good to have good tasty food.
    The beaches look good, and good to see 'summer bay' from a different point of view, not that I watch Home and Away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, they are lovely beaches but we too have lovely beaches, as you do. It's the weather that makes the difference. Same here about Home and Away, but Mother used to watch it.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful views. So exotic looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JayCee. It is a rather normal Australian beach, but the houses on steep hills are not so normal.

      Delete
  9. You live in a beautiful country - there's so much space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, well yes and no. Wonderful coastal strips, extending inland but then just desert. England is interesting in that you have compressed areas of housing with huge green spaces nearby. I'm not sure if that is good or bad.

      Delete
  10. You had the fabulous weather when you visited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did Roentare. We take always take it with us to Sydney.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I thought you might like the beach shots TP.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for sharing. I wish I could hop on an airplane and visit. But that beach image photo bomb just breaks my heart. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darla, he was a little solid for my liking, as if I could be so choosy.

      Delete
  13. Gawp but don't grab teaser on the beach - which are beautiful. Love me some good beaches. And sights for sore eyes.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW, four old queens had to really behave themselves, especially when he came to his car which was parked next to Victor's.

      Delete
  14. Oh my those beaches are beautiful. I would like to be in those photos, of the beaches and water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, and being further north, closer to the equator means the sea water temperature is warmer than ours at home.

      Delete
  15. "Summer Bay" looks very pretty! I love the shots of the Sydney skyline too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome photos! I really enjoy taking virtual tours via blogging friends. :D And I'm so glad I wasn't drinking my tea when I read this:

    I called R along the way, expecting him to missing me terribly. Nope! Here he was outside a cafe, scoffing his face while I starved to death.

    ReplyDelete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...