Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Retiring for...It's Time

Last week Victoria's State Leader, Premier Daniel Andrews resigned. He was a can do Premier responsible for a lot of building of infrastructure and carried us through the worst of the awful Covid times with a reassuring daily press conference. His lockdown of citizens was severe but goodness knows how many lives were saved and no doubt there were many.

Could it have been done better? Of course yes, with hindsight but we were in a deep unknown territory. He has been divisive leader with many loving him and many hating him. 

But note, his first electoral victory nine years ago was close. At both the next election and the following, the Labor(sic) Party increased its majority and the conservative opposition party was almost demolished. The haters are very loud and vocal, especially the so called 'freedom' folk. I am not going to do a Hillary and call them the Deplorables however... He has left us with a large state debt, partly due to Covid, and the investment in infrastructure. Over my lifetime I've come to realise that government debt in our rich country is pretty meaningless. 

Our new Premier is Jacinta Allen, formerly Deputy Premier. With a healthy electoral margin, she may even survive the next election if not thrive. She's a very experienced politician who had been in politics for 30 plus years, from her teen years. 


ABC Melbourne's radio breakfast presenter is the very talented Sammy J. The morning after Andrew's resignation, he had already come up with this. Actually, I think he may have done a good bit of work on it already and it just needed an update. 

His tribute to Andrews has so many many local references that most of you won't understand but nevertheless I think it is worth a couple of minutes of your time. As far as I can see, it should work everywhere and you don't need to have an Instagram account. If not, there is not much I can do about it. Google it and you may find a working link. 

29 comments:

  1. I had to google but it was definitely worth the minimal effort. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I don't do what is popular, I just do what is right" - if only all politicians would follow this rule! Thanks for the earworm, Andrew :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, yes a terrible earworm but not a bad one.

      Delete
  3. No politics is clean. Dan has to do what he needs to do in the political landscape. I support the infrastructure work for which I loathe very much in my daily commuting. However, someone gonna build the infrastructure for the long term outlook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Roentare. We keep building roads, widening freeways and nothing seems to work to solve traffic problems.

      Delete
  4. I watched the Instagram link, and even if Daniel Andrews is a politician in another country (yours, Andrew) I nevertheless got a good sense what he's about. He seems like somebody I'd vote for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had his faults Kirk, but his basic objectives for a better society were sound.

      Delete
  5. Wow wow wow.....that was so fast and yet so good! I wonder if Sammy J had heard rumours a week or two earlier to start his remake? Either way, it's brilliant (https://tentativelytasmanianblog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MM, as far as I can tell, no one knew in advance, but I think it was predictable.

      Delete
  6. Spot on! He headed up an excellent state government, but perhaps the lockdowns of citizens during Covid was the most appropriate. Covid-deniers in other countries were tragically successful in banning lockdowns, causing 3.3+ million Covid deaths. Victoria was largely spared by caring authorities in government and medicine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, the lockdowns were hard and the very last one came close to breaking people. But they were necessary and did save so many lives, and he was acting on health authorities advice.

      Delete
  7. Daniel Andrews was a familiar face on ABC News during the Covid times. Like you rightly said those days were uncertain times. I hope Jacinta Allen is able to do well for the welfare of Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have high hopes for Allen, Pradeep. But we have to adjust to Andrews no longer being around first.

      Delete
  8. He sounds like a good bloke, rare in politics. I enjoyed the Instagram link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, he was a very clever politician but also a good bloke who did care.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Cathy, I can so strongly remember his reassuring daily press conferences at the worst of Covid crisis. Andrews is in control, acting on sound advice. We will be ok.

      Delete
  10. Hell, Mr Andrews is only 51 years old. I wonder if he has the ambition to become Australia's premier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, that would be Prime Minister and I suggest no. He's been burnt by the daily grind.

      Delete
    2. Maybe he's planning to open a fish and chip shop instead. He could get burnt by the hot fat.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. TP, it is getting late here and my thinking is not so good. I don't get the 94 number.

      Delete
  12. Now that awesome Simon and Garfunkel song will go through my head. lol

    ReplyDelete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...