Friday, September 1, 2023

Crook as a dog

Before Mother's funeral I had started coughing. The coughing worsened over the the following days. My stomach muscles were protesting. It was clear I had lung infection. The coughing started to ease off last weekend and has almost gone now. But for days this week I did not sleep well, waking at 3.00am and then tossing and turning, sleeping for 30 minutes then waking up and ever so slowly go back to sleep for 15 minutes at a time. A few times I woke up with minor leg cramps.Sometimes in a hot sweat.  I was constantly adjusting my sleeping position to prevent arthritic pain the next morning.  And wind oh the wind. I think on the worst day I could have inflated a dozen balloons. I had no appetite. I was often up before my alarm went off at 7. I should love my bed but it became my enemy. 

I was lethargic and worst of all I became bored. I am never bored but nothing interested me. I did not want to go out because there was no reason to go out. Bugger my list of places to see, photos to take. I didn't care. I was feeling very mortal, like this is the way I will one day die. Coughing, lacking oxygen and so weak. 

Thursday night I woke at 4am and used the toilet. I went straight back to sleep and I did not wake until my alarm went off at 7. What bliss, a proper sleep and I felt so much better for it. 

So I am nearly ok, but not so R who much later has the lurgy. He is barely functioning. I had to drive to South Melbourne today for shopping. I did a lot more when shopping than I normally do. After Aldi, we needed some Lee & Perrins, milk and some roasting lamb from Woolworths. The shopping bag was heavy. I did the self check out and I am not stupid. I know how to do such things, but of course the Supervisor was critical of the way I did it. It is pointless trying to defend your actions, so I just say nothing and press on. 

In summary, a few days ago I felt like I was near death. Now R feels like he is near death. Of course we've taken RATs, negative. 

It is quite close to what we experienced as we arrived in London in 2019 from Dubai. 

21 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. Glad that you are now feeling almost human and hope that R joins you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, that sounds pretty dire. I am glad that you are feeling better now and hope that R recovers soon.
    Feeling ill is the pits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nasty bug. Best wishes to R and I'm glad you're feeling better. Is it wrong of me to admit I'm jealous that you visited Dubai? lol I've only been off the North American continent once and, with the state of the world and my introverted husband, it's not likely to happen again (at least anytime soon; I can dream).

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least R sees that you survived and there's hope for him, too. I hope you're both well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm glad you survived, and I'm sure it gives R hope. It would have been a disaster if both of you had succumbed simultaneously though.

    I am glad you are up and around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There does seem to be something going around ... I've had the bad sleep, coughing, sneezing, wheezing, dry mouth nonsense for several days now and it finally appears to be moving along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are a few viruses giving people repeating cycles of severe flu symptoms. I suspect I had a similar symptom for the past 2 months. Not as severe as what you are going through. Plenty of fluids, chicken soup and vitamin Thiamine B2 H C Mg. It is miserable otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have my utmost sympathy. It is horrible being that crook and not even being able to comfortable languish in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shyte Andrew that is miserable - for each of you in turn. I do hope R turns the corner with it too, and not sleeping well adds to the impending doom thing. A friend picked up something similar on a plane and her lungs juist about gave out. She was finally diagnosed with pneumonia. But it was a month before she felt remotely normal.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you take RATS three days in a row? There is a newer version, an offshoot of Omicron, I forgot the name but begins with E and it mimics what you just experienced, shows a positive test a day or two after the negative one I've read. Anyway, if you are both better now then forget about it. If you had something like pneumonia you would still be coughing I guess and seeking medical help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry your not doing well.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. May R get well soon. And I'm glad you, Andrew, did get well soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry to read you have been rather poorly now R. Viruses are a pain in the neck and more. Get well soon both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Older age, end of a long winter, infections, anxiety and family pain all came together in a disastrous clash. The bodies collapsed under the weight of it all :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you're feeling better but don't overdo it. Take it easy, mopping R's fevered brow. I hope you both feel fit again very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's great to know that you have just about got through this physical trial. I often think that sleep and laughter are the best medicines of all but when your sleep is disturbed as yours has been, laughter tends to be in short supply. Regarding self-checkouts, who voted for them? They were foisted on the public to cut staffing costs. I don't mind using them if I only have two or three things but with a trolley full of shopping they are a pain in the arse.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You sound as though you've had it rough with not much in the tank to fight it. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Hope you are a sympathetic nurse to R.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That does not sound enjoyable, Andrew. Good that you survived it, hope R is soon over it. Yuk. There's multiple things going around here right now. So far, I've been lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ugh! I'm so sorry you went through that and R is going through it now. Hopefully it will subside before too long. Being sick sucks. (To put it bluntly.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just what you need now as you try to get over the recent loss of your dear Mum. I hope that R recovers soon like you did.

    ReplyDelete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...