Thursday, August 3, 2023

(Insert difficult post title here)

What a spectacular moon we have at the moment. We face east and it rises in our evening in the south eastern sky and is spectacular as it turns from orange to yellow to white. Many photos will be taken and a few seen but try this one by Canadian M's sister in Ireland. I just wish it was posted larger.

Now, a question. The sun is stationary and the earth rotates around the sun. The earth spins on its axis and the moon rotates around earth, so how come.......ah, I've forgotten the question now. Be grateful. 

Here is something I am better at, a bit of DIY. I can still do it, as long as when I go down, there is something to grab to pull myself to standing upright. The crab like method is rather inelegant. 

I learnt some skills from my father and one was what to do with a problem crack, and I've known a few over the years and dealt with them, like this one below that recently confronted me. It is a hard plastic cover to protect our carpet from the castor wheels of the desk chair. It does the job but it does have a load limit and the limit may have only been slightly breached, not by me I hasten to add, and it has cracked in three places.

My DIY experience over the years has taught me that anything problematic must be either hammered or drilled, even though screwing is easier. It was the latter, drilling, in this case and out came the thirty year old electric Black and Decker and a shiny new drill bit was inserted into its gaping mouthpiece, with the mouthpiece firmly tightened over the drill bit. 

No weak rechargeable Milwaukie battery operation for this drill. It took the full mains 240 volts to drill holes at the ends of each cracks. There was third too. Two weeks later, the cracks have not extended. 

The carpet facing pins are to keep the mat in place and hopefully you can see where I drilled.  

28 comments:

  1. The sun, earth, moon conundrum just makes me feel dizzy.
    Glad you got your crack sorted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why did her final line make me giggle? ~snicker~ Anyway, well done on the repair job.

      Delete
    2. That JayCee is a bit naughty, Darla.

      Delete
  2. Excellent fix. When I drill hard plastic, it cracks it more!!! But I have not the power to the drill that you have. I have an 18 volt rechargable battery that barely charges anymore. I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, sometimes in life I get things right. R rarely says so.

      Delete
  3. Well done on the DIY front. Those skills are mostly lacking here and words are said when we are forced to attempt a fix. WWW's sister's photo was gorgeous wasn't it. I have largely failed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC. It was a great photo, for sure, which proves you don't have to be young to take great photos.

      Delete
  4. I had no idea that you would be able and indeed willing to sort out a "problem crack".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of which YP, how is your damp problem going? Have you taken remedial action to soak up the leakage?

      Delete
  5. Full moon always gives me a creep. It seems to roughen things for me usually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, yes. All emergency workers and many medical staff know that.

      Delete
  6. This full moon is bringing much higher tides that usual- so high it’s hard to find a patch of dry sand down at the little bay. Sleeping is out of kilter as well.
    When our mat cracked The Golfer just said ****** and went and bought a new one. The old one caused more grief when he had to cut it into pieces so it would fit into the big recycling bin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, the moon breaks you sleeping patterns? Nothing you ate?

      Yes, I can understand how such mats crack easily but are hard to break up.

      Delete
  7. Here is what I don't understand. The earth rotates around the sun. Sunrise happens in exactly the same place. Sets in the same place. The moonrise is different every night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah Debby, the sun rises in different places. On the shortest day of the year we get no sun. On the longest day, we get sun to midday. Let me explain....no, I can't.

      Delete
  8. I just now googled a diagram of the moon rotating the Earth as the Earth spun on its axis and in turn orbited the sun, but I had to look away. All those damn circles were making me dizzy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, I admire your adventurous nature and admire you admitting defeat.

      Delete
  9. Mr. Fix it, well done.
    Saw the beautiful moon 2 late evenings past on our way home from the Mountain Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, at times I look around at changes and what we have done here and wonder, how did I do that?

      Delete
  10. Well done. It's always satisfying to repair rather than replace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, it is not always the easiest option but it is satisfying.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations ! That's what I miss too, Rick had golden hands, he repaired most of the things and that saved a lot of money too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, and now no one to do that for you aside from kindness from neighbours and your son. I am dreading being in such a situation.

      Delete
  12. I had no idea that drilling would stop the cracks spreading. i have vinyl flooring here and the top surface is very worn by my chair rolling back and forth. On the upside, I am still able to get down on my knees and up again without assistance. Which doesn't mean I don't grab hold of something nearby just in case, but of there is nothing available I can still get upright on my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I am pleased to know you are still so limber of limb. I may be a little theatratrical about getting up and down but it is not as easy as just standing up anymore.

      Delete
  13. We have this big crack in Washington DC, maybe you can fix it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, sure, with a gun at a reddish moving target.

      Delete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...