Thursday, June 29, 2023

England 09/5 - 10/05

One place R wanted to see was the interior of  York Minster. Only our first breakfast was included with our hotel accommodation, so we visited a close by Wetherspoons for some morning nourishment. I wanted to take the tourist bus with its route encircling the city and stopping near tourist places.  We combined both. Near our hotel was a stop for the tourist bus and at 11.35 (note the time as it is relevant in the next later) we boarded the bus and bought our twenty four hour tickets. 

We weren't on the bus for long. A ticket seller at York Station sold us tickets at what must have been about 11.45. We left the bus at the stop nearest to York Minster. The stop was a short walk away and we followed the crowds to the main church door and paid our £16 to see the church interior. I fear I've seen too many English churches and I find them depressingly gloomy and far from uplifting. Even in Bavaria, I saw a church or two that were bright and welcoming. 

But having said that, there was much beauty within York Minster, and so much history.









I think this was a mould for the statue of Queen Elizabeth II, with the statue placed in a niche on the exterior of the church. 



From the city tour bus, Blood and Fire, at the Salvation Army. The tourist bus trip was well worth while. 




See the small cat on the ledge? It was an architect's symbol piece, added to quite a number of buildings in York. 


Bye bye York.

The next day we were at the tourist bus stop again to catch the 11.35 service to get to York Station. You will remember we had a twenty four hour ticket from yesterday, which should be fine for today's 11.35 service.  I am still stewing over this. The bus arrived three minutes late and the driver said to us, you are past your ticket expiry time, but I'll let you go anyway. Since we did not have to pay more, I said nothing but in my head I was screaming, 'If your fucking bus was on time, then we would not be past the 24 hours'. Now I am going to wake up in the middle of tonight feeling angry as I remember. I should have sounded off. Actually, I should contact the company and complain, which is what I would normally do. 

Our train trip back to Newcastle was luxurious, with two seats opposite us at the table vacant as Sister 1 had not cancelled their booking. That was after we glared at a woman sitting in our booked seats under the digital sign that said seats booked, York to Newcastle. 

We had decided to stay at Sister 3's high rise apartment for a few days and we needed bus 10 when we exited the station to Sister 1 first. Google maps and an app told me where the bus stop was and we stood at the shelter that said route 10. Two buses passed us by. We decided to get a taxi. Infuriating and I am still waiting for a proper response from Stagecoach who run the service. Really though, there was no signage at all at the station about catching buses. It is so poor compared to much of public transport wayfinding in England. 

I am not sure what we ate that night but I am sure we did not go hungry.

30 comments:

  1. The Church is magnificent! And the views from the bus tour also. Too bad about the minor inconveniences you experienced, but I wouldn't dwell on them, I'd just be happy I got to go at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I had almost forgotten about the 'minor inconvenience' overnight. I don't dwell but I don't forget either.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely magnificent inside is that church, must have taken many years to built back in the day, how clever were those men who did build it.
    Well at least the bus driver took you on board with your ticket that had expired and so he should have seeing he got help up along the way.
    The photos are nice as always Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, we were overwhelmed with dates and statistics. Maybe it took 100 years to complete.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  3. I always find bus travel can be a lottery. Some good and some bad. I just try (very hard) to be patient .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, trams and trains are much easier to travel on than buses. I am not a bus fan at all.

      Delete
  4. River is right about the church. I get templed/churched out quite quickly but that is well worth seeing. And the rest of the day sounded pretty good too (irritations not withstanding).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I did it because R wanted to see inside the church. I no complain, except I did here. We did have a great time in York.

      Delete
  5. I have visited and ‘enjoyed’ York Minster more than any other cathedral world wide. There’s just something about it that (in my mind) sets it apart from the others.
    Now I’m back in blogland I’ve been reading and enjoying your trip reports….will be on the road tomorrow so will catch up again next week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your cathedral opinion interests me Cathy but I wonder why York Minster was so good for you. Safe travelling to warmer climes.

      Delete
  6. York Minster is a beautiful cathedral. Interesting about the Queen's statue. That must be one of the first to be erected since her death. No doubt there will be many many more around the country before too long. So annoyi ng about the buses. I have a bus app which tells me how long I will have to wait. If it's more than 5 minutes I walk to the next stop. I hate standing at bus stops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I thought to myself that it was quick, but then later I thought there were probably some preparation before hand and it is now quite a while since our Queen died.
      I might do the same with bus/tram stops, depending on what the stop I am waiting at is like.

      Delete
  7. York Minster looks beautiful. When we travel Jose will mostly refuse to go into churches, as he says that "once you visit one church, they all look much the same, so what's the point?" I like to visit churches as I find they do differ, some more elaborate than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sami, I am with Jose, officially from now. No more ABC, Another Bloody Church.

      Delete
  8. York Minster is awe-inspiring. I really enjoyed your photographs.
    It sounds as though you hardly stood still during your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, both awe inspiring and majestic. A magical moment happened when in the fading daylight we were sitting on an outdoor seat looking at the church.

      Delete
  9. We spent a couple of hours in York,nice church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, we did visit York in 2019 but like for you, a couple of hours. You really don't get the city in such a brief visit.

      Delete
  10. I think of the best, the very best, ripostes later on as I mull over some slight or stupidity.
    I was in Yorkminster previously, as it all rang bells with me. Sorry for the pun. I think I mentioned to you I had a free rail pass for all of Europe so I trained my arse off in my time. I'd actually leave Cork on the ferry on a weekend (also free pass) and free train my way around the UK.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW, so many of us do the same.
      Not that you are that old, but the trains were very different back then.

      Delete
  11. I don't go visiting churches anymore, they look all the same, everything too much and depressing. When I think how many workers died building these cathedrals I think it's not very christian ! If you really want to get furious about public transport come to Belgium, I think you will get a heart attack ! Always late, not enough, old things I wonder were the taxes go we pay for the "public" transport !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, some churches in Europe can be bright and uplifting.
      I am surprised how you view your public transport. It is not what we are led to believe about Europe.

      Delete
    2. I don't know the other countries, but Belgium is a disaster !

      Delete
  12. We took the bust tour around York too and I really enjoyed it. I have a lot of shots from inside Yorkminster. It is so beautiful in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, such tours are always a go way to an overview of a city, especially if you aren't there for very long. I doubt Minster has changed since you were there and probably won't ever.

      Delete
  13. Great photos! Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry for your frustrations. At least the driver allowed you to board. Maybe we let too many grievances slide but turmoil upsets my husband and me. If either of us speaks up, the annoyance was egregious. Maybe I'll change if I live long enough. I can envision myself being a grumpy old lady. Heh... Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I don't begrudge you being righteously contentious. :D It's just not our way (for now - lol).

      Delete
    2. Darla, airing such grievances in public is not our way either, however had he not let us travel I would have stood up for ourselves. It is a clear right or wrong matter in my mind.

      Delete
  14. Sorry you had some transport irritants. The architecture is magnificent. Love the cat:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we saw about four of these cats on buildings Sandra, but I was too slow with the others.

      Delete

I no understand

Transport for New South Wales, TfNSW, is changing its in train announcements. There was only mention of three I read about in the Sydney Mor...