Saturday, June 24, 2023

Edjicatin' youse

I kind of new this but not in any detail. Read on to find out how modern rocket boosters had to be no wider than the behinds of two horses in Roman times.

By Thilakasiri Mahaarachchi.

The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number. Why was that gauge used? Well, because that's the way they built them in England, and English engineers designed the first US railroads. Why did the English build them like that? Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the wagon tramways, and that's the gauge they used. So, why did 'they' use that gauge then? Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that same wheel spacing. Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing? Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break more often on some of the old, long distance roads in England . You see, that's the spacing of the wheel ruts. So who built those old rutted roads? Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since. And what about the ruts in the roads? Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match or run the risk of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome , they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever. So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's as came up with this?', you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horses' ases.)  Now, the twist to the story: When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah . The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds. So, a major Space Shuttle design feature, of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system, was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's as. And you thought being a horse's as wasn't important? Ancient horse's as*es control almost everything.

35 comments:

  1. I didn't know this. Thank you. And how I hope I can remember it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I am sure you will always recall that Romans influenced the width of our train lines.

      Delete
  2. I think my first comment went to spam. I didn't know this. Thank you - and I hope I can remember it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did EC. I am getting quite good now at rescuing comments from spam.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Talk more dirty to me Tasker. Ah yes, still conquering in a way now.

      Delete
  4. So a good foundation is the key for future development

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicely put Roentare, and apt for some things.

      Delete
  5. Just as well they used two horses to pull a chariot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, indeed. One horse and the wheel ruts may have been narrower. We could be travelling on very skinny trains.

      Delete
  6. Oh goodness, don't I feel special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because as an old (not quite ancient) horses ass, I feel quite important!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Said with no sarcasm Strayer?

      Delete
    2. No, really, except.......man alive bureaucracies just don't do change. It's extremely funny to think about it in that manner, and the poor space shuttle rocket boosters, limited by such an age old handed on without question measurement.

      Delete
  8. Interesting Andrew, didn't know any of this especially about the horses asses...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, yes the horses asses was new to me.

      Delete
  9. Given my enormous capacity for knowing nothing that might vaguely be used in a quiz I was intrigued as to how it was that I already knew that. But I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same for me Graham. In the back of my mind I knew train track width was based on Roman chariots and carts.

      Delete
  10. First thought was: for goodness' sake, write your own content!

    But maybe you are going to follow up with how Victoria adopted the gauge it did?

    Shades of 8-track or (I think a closer analogy) Betamax.

    (Not sledging from north of the Murray, truly.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, I don't do such things too often. I just thought it was interesting and I had nothing else ready to post.
      Like Betamax, we put down a superior gauge. Only South Australia did the same. You went for the cheaper option, and Queensland and WA even cheaper still. As Twain is quoted when he had to change trains at Albury, What paralysis of parliamentary intellect led to this.

      Delete
  11. I remember reading this somewhere before but not to the part about the space shuttle. Also they spelled asses wrong and it annoyed me then as it did now. I read about the Victoria/South Australia rail gauge difference too but can't remember it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the space shuttle was new to me.
      Originally both states had broad gauge but SA changed to standard gauge.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for this reminder. I knew most of it but was intrigued by the SRB - those Romans had a lot to answer for!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know anything about trains, except that they take me from one place to another.

    ReplyDelete
  14. And some of those two-thousand year old rutted Roman Roads, are smoother that the highways I drove on in Ohio last week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was buried somewhere in that huge pile of useless information I have stored away.
    I am slowly catching up on blog reading but am still on jury duty. Please cross your fingers that we do not have to be overnight in a hotel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I quite like the theory of being on jury duty, but you have convinced me otherwise.

      Delete
  16. It's a very different topic but one I always found fascinating in a similar regard. A young girl asked why her mother sliced several inches off her beef before roasting.

    "Well," she replied, "my mother did."

    The child asked her maternal grandmother, only to learn that her roasting pan wouldn't accommodate the entire roast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny Darla. We should always question.

      Delete

It's all about me

I've always liked this phrase and I wouldn't have a clue about its origins, the phrase being 'All over the place like a mad woma...