Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Yarra Trams

I've ridden Australian trams in Sydney, Gold Coast and Adelaide. 

I've ridden trams in Toronto, Manchester, Amsterdam, Lisbon, Porto, Barcelona, Vienna and Wursburg. 

I've used Melbourne's public transport trams for forty years. I am pretty well a daily user now. I know our trams well.

I have a theory that if you don't notice your tram ride, it was a good experience. This is not so in Melbourne, the largest tram city in the world with our trams operated by a private company under the moniker of Yarra Trams. The company has to meet performance figures and it generally does, so how come Camberwell route 72 trams are such a mess (it passes through many congested shopping areas, but nothing is done to fix the delays). How come a simple route like the 1, East Coburg to South Melbourne Beach is such a mess?

The performance figure by Yarra Trams for January was 84.5% of trams on time. That is a lie. The figures are doctored in some way. To note, the allowance made for a late running tram is it has to be five minutes late before being judged as late. With tram services on most routes being every 12 minutes or better, you can wait 17 minutes for a tram that is not officially late.

Anyway, that is not what this post is about. It is about the poor training of tram drivers by Yarra Trams.

Some drivers surge drive with the accelerator and brake,  On, off, on off. It is very unpleasant for passengers. Some start off so abruptly even an experienced passenger like me gets caught out. Some brake so hard at the last minute, there are strong G forces at work.

I can ride for a couple of kilometres along St Kilda Road and one tram driver won't ring the tram bell once. The next time over the same distance, the driver will ring the bell 40 plus times, I guess warning a sparrow flying overhead of the tram's approach. 

Some drivers move forward at platform stops and won't open doors to allow newly arrived passengers to board. I understand why they may do this in the city at times when there is constant stream of people wanting to catch the tram, and why they might if the tram T light signal is brief, but in that case, why do it well before the T light signal comes up. That is just plain nasty behaviour. 

There is no doubt in my mind that Yarra Trams' driver training is very poor, very inconsistent and the drivers unmonitored for driving standards. Female drivers seem better. Younger drivers seem better. Older male drivers of Asian and Middle Eastern appearance seem to be the worst. 

While waiting for a city bound 58 tram last weekend, two 3a trams arrived, one behind the first. Clearly the tram was quite late. The old driver of the first tram slowly left his tram, used the porta loo and slowly returned to his driver cabin. No rush just because your tram is late. But as he was returning to his tram, for about ten seconds he paused and smilingly and lecherously stared at a young and attractive Asian woman. 

Yeah, I look at guys on a tram but discreetly, not like an old lecherous man. It was sickening to observe. 

Yes, I complained but Yarra Trams want times, dates and details about each incident. I am not about dobbing in individuals as the issue is about training and monitoring of Yarra Trams drivers. 

Melbourne might have the largest tram system in the world but it certainly doesn't have the best drivers, and it one of the world's slowest tram systems. 

31 comments:

  1. Our trams are Spanish I think. And I have yet to ride them. Soon. Ish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, your single system is great, as I have been informed by various sources. Let's hope the next line will be as successful.

      Delete
  2. I doubt the drivers were paid well to give it a damn. I used route 72 tram in school days. I often choose to get off the tram to walk instead. Faster that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, probably underpaid and inadequate trained. Yep, it can be quicker to walk than catch a 72.

      Delete
  3. I like the post by Traveling penguim, from last Sunday the 2nd about blogs. I decided to check all the blogs out.
    I see we both us read Jackie blog.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, indeed. I have been a very long time reader of Jackie's blog.

      Delete
  4. Why don't tram drivers get the same level of training as train drivers? Doesn't make sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, tongue in cheek, because a tram driver's actions might only cause two hundred deaths whereas a train driver's actions could cause two thousand deaths.

      Delete
    2. Might be tongue in cheek but you're probably right!

      Delete
  5. Newspaper articles in today's and yesterday's newspapers indicate that SA Government is buying back the trains and trams systems, Other readers have written: hopefully to be followed by gas and electricity companies, none of which should have ever been privatised in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I saw that and it is interesting that the government has negotiated with the private company, rather than have the company sue it for breach of contract.

      Delete
  6. I wonder how much control a driver has of a tram. As much as driving a car?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, from what I know, generally just as much, aside from steering of course.

      Delete
  7. If I came from the moon and landed suddenly, the green trams sailing between St Kilda Rd trees would yell MELBOURNE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite true Hels, and looking down on them, they glide along streets. They don't always glide when you are onboard though.

      Delete
  8. I’ll have to agree with you about the quick take offs and fast foot on the brakes……on the odd occasion we’ve been on trams recently ‘hanging on for dear life’ has become a regular occurrence.
    I saw somewhere this am there’s going to be some extra? trams or a more frequent service on some city routes can’t remember which it was. Thought of you straight away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, it is nothing to young people but when you reach a certain age, you begin to understand what life is like for seniors. More frequent services? The devil will be in the detail.

      Delete
  9. Relying on public transport in large cities is pretty much a nightmare everywhere, I think. Too many people . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jabblog, generally for us public transport is our preferred way to get about and ours is not too bad. Neither of us like driving, traffic congestion and parking hassles. It can be crowded, but as experienced users, we mostly know how to avoid that.

      Delete
  10. I never ride trams but I have noticed that some tube and bus drivers are also better than others. I wonder if older drivers who learned (and developed bad habits) on another transit system then bring those to their new jobs, even if they've had further training. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, as they say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, generally I found bus drivers in the UK to be brilliant and very skillful drivers. There are no votes in buses here, and they are funded accordingly.

      Delete
  11. Andrew, only you can make a scary situation seem bearable and fun, which I love.(lol) There's nothing like the possibility of getting thrown out of my seat due to a hard brake, or being late for an appointment because the tram waved, but kept right on going.(lol) I sure do miss your stories, and hope that everything is going well. Sending lots of Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello RO and so nice to see you pop up in comments. I hope things are going well for you too.

      Delete
  12. Yikes. Sounds like Yarra has some issues to work on.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe so Sandra. I don't know what the focus of its training is, but it doesn't seem to right.

      Delete
  13. I have ridden many trams in Eastern Europe because I am interested in trams. Some in Siberia too. Istanbul trams are modern and efficient and pretty slick. I have photographs of trams from wherever I have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, as I understand the old Eastern European countries including Russia do trams exceptionally well. They are fast, smooth, uncomplicated and of course very well used.

      Delete
    2. I have used trams in Budapest and they were good.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I forgot Budapest ones. They were some of the best. The Russian ones in Siberia are old trams but they are well used and the stops are just anywhere, not always obvious where the tram stop is.

      Delete
  14. For years I hoped that Ohio in the United States would set up a proposed rail system between Cincinnati and Cleveland. That never happened and I dread anytime I need to make the drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rail travel and the lack of it in your country Darla is ever interesting. But as I learnt a day or so ago, you do have some high speed trains.

      Delete

A lighter note

Fire Fighting Nephew, his wife and their four year old daughter and nearly two year old twin boys visited yesterday. It was a big effort for...