Sunday, January 8, 2023

Sunday Selections

I'm joining with Elephant's Child and River for Sunday Selections. 

A large pot of meat sauce was made by R for spaghetti Bolognese. First we fry an onion. There was enough left over for one lunch the next day and half the sauce was frozen to be later made into this lasagne, which gave us two meals of lasagne and one lunch.


The Royce Hotel, closed at the beginning of the of what seems the never ending pandemic. Victoria alone had 108 deaths last week from Covid. We are not a situation of post Covid. The Royce Hotel takes it name from being a Rolls Royce dealership. In the early eighties I remember street side petrol bowsers still in front of the building. At some point our army took occupancy of the building. Maybe in the very early noughties it became the Royce Hotel. In the Covid years of 2020 to 2023 it has been extensively renovated with more hotel accommodation rooms added. It looks fantastically flash and this photo of the entrance was taken through the front glass door. I think it will reopen in weeks, if not days.



What is the writing on the number plate? How do you buy such plates? It looks Arabic but maybe Hindi. Ferrars Street, Albert Park. 


Thunderbirds are go. This Thunderbird, around a 1955 model did go, effortlessly. Not bad for a nearly 70 year old car. Market Street, South Melbourne which is oddly a street away from South Melbourne Market on York Street. 



What is this car about? There isn't advertising, just decoration. How queer. 


That's quite a copper patina on the roof of a building I know so well, but I can't remember where it is.


Only if I am talking to someone who knows the right words would I say, 'We rarely see a reticulated bus in our area'. The bus was in service during the appalling managed tram replacement by buses. Articulated is the correct word.  I also might describe a vehicle's braking as degenerative rather than the correct regenerative. I like degenerative. It seems like more fun.


Why?


A poor attempt at flower photography. The lilies did look nice.


Oh wow. Nine balloons in sight as dawn breaks. I must have gotten up for a wee at a very early hour and saw this. So many want to balloon cruise above our city. 


24 comments:

  1. I was thoroughly enjoying your selections (thanks for joining us again) but the balloons won my heart. What a delightful start to the day - for you and for the lucky balloonists.
    I suspect the Thunderbird has had a lot of renovation/restoration over the years but it still draws eyes doesn't it? As does the 'decorated car' for quite different reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I knew you would be impressed by the balloons. Not only did the Thunderbird look good, it sounded good as it departed.

      Delete
  2. The balloons look rather nice in the sky. So are the cars with interesting paintings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, there are not too many cities in the world where balloons can fly like ours do.

      Delete
  3. Hi Andrew, the building with copper patina is in Ross St Toorak behind the post office. Love your photos and travels around Melbourne. Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny. I must have taken the photo when we went to Romeos.

      Delete
  4. I love men who can cook, especially when they make enough for 2 meals.
    Both my sons cook well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I love my man who can cook. Did your sons pick up from your cooking skills?

      Delete
  5. I think the number plates are Japanese and are some gimmick that cost around $500 to use on Japanese imports.
    Another 90 balloons and you could write a song.
    Great photos, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol....don't they have to be red balloons? I love that someo m e knew your copper top building.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Caro. I am rolling my eyes at what people spend. Sadly I have no idea what the German word luft means.

      Delete
    3. Debby, Anon so I have no idea who he/she is.; But she knows Toorak.

      Delete
  6. Some great photos.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Commercial Corner" is a boring name. I would prefer something more imaginative like "Two Bananas and a Tub of Berries Corner" or maybe "Forget-Me-Not Corner".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, it is comfortable seating for sex workers between jobs. Your first two name suggestions could work.

      Delete
  8. I like the cheery decored car. I would have picked up those bananas and berries for consumption. I like Thunderbirds. I know a seed farmer who is a collector of mostly old ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, it was tempting to pick the fruit up, but it looked staged to me and I don't think I would have come out of it well if I did take them.

      Delete
  9. We sometimes see very non-standard number plates on diplomatic cars. A hot air balloon ride looks like fun, I want to do that someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP, I think our diplomatic cars have, ah, perhaps CC on them, Consular Corp.

      Delete
  10. I love your balloon shots. It's so great that you get to see them over and over. I never see hot air balloons in London!

    I saw in the news that Australia is getting hit hard by the never-ending pandemic at the moment. It just keeps going around and around, doesn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, there is an advantage having the closest airport to the city some 16 kilometres away. That's the main reason they are not seen in many large cities. We are told so little about our Covid situation now. It is mainly old people now who are dying, very few young. Covid for people with poor health is enough to tip some old over the edge.

      Delete
  11. Could we have the lasagna recipe please and of course the meat sauce recipe. It looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a clue River. Do you first fry the onions? Sometimes R kind of follows recipes but he doesn't with lasagne. He is mostly an instinctive cook.

      Delete

Monday Mural

Sami and others will join me for Monday Mural. This seems a little familiar, so maybe I've posted it before but it would have been on m...