Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Not the Sydney 'arbour.

I don't like the spelling but Arbory is a popular day and evening bar and restaurant sitting where Platform 11 at Flinders Street Station was once located. 

Then came Arbory Afloat, a pontoon? floating below Arbory on the Yarra River. Mid 2022 it closed and that was puzzling, and then reopened, larger and better than ever before. 

I took a walk mid year on both sides of the river and these photos went unposted so here they are now.

Ponyfish Island, a bar and cafe. I've seen it flooded once. There are evacuation plans displayed at the venue.


Crossing the river on the northern side I noticed this. I hope those responsible for maintenance have noticed it too. A bit of filler won't fix a structural problem.


A new venue on the south bank, Yarra Botanica.


Boats for sightseers and boat parties travel the Yarra.


Arbory Afloat in its former guise.


I am not sure what the protective barriers were about. They weren't there for very long.


When this photo was taken the south bank below Hamer Hall was having work done. 


The work has been completed and it seem to give more landing space for cruise boats.


I am not sure that the Thursday before Christmas Day on Sunday is any kind of special day but nevertheless, the enlarged Arbory Afloat was so busy. There must have been 150 people there, with even mid afternoon a guard at the boardwalk entry. Is this how working from home manifests itself?  It is huge. 


Yes, it now has a pool, albeit small.


Folk are lying on what are almost beds.


More people on the upper deck and inside below no doubt with air con.

24 comments:

  1. I do like to be beside the water and can totally understand why eateries like that one are popular. And no doubt not cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I too like to be near water and I am sure you are right about prices.

      Delete
  2. I'm a water rat too, can't be too far away from it. Great shots.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a nice perspective seeing through your lens. I was there last night looking for entertainment rides which were not there anymore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare, had the zip line closed for the night?

      Delete
  4. Your photos present Melbourne in a way I never see. Mind you, I would have to actually get in there and it's been years now since we walked anywhere there. Maybe a visit in the autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, mostly the changes have been wonderful within the city and its edges, notwithstanding more losses of historic buildings and character.

      Delete
  5. Beside or on the water is the perfect place to have a festive restaurant dinner... I would love it. But is the river water brown in real life or just in the photos on line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'mon Hels. I am sure you remember how very brown the river is, full of sediment.

      Delete
  6. We have a local parish here named Arbory. I'm sure there can't be a connection though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, perhaps there is a religious connection in that people can end up on their knees.

      Delete
  7. The pool seems a bit superfluous. Still, the swanky set must have what they want I guess. I enjoyed the photos, boats and water, what's not to like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I've seen photos of people in the pool. You would not want to swim in the river at this point.

      Delete
  8. Reading their website I think it’s marketed as some sort of ‘club’. Young and trendy will do anything anywhere! We’ve seen them as we’ve wandered along Southbank and wouldn’t mind a drink or even a meal but think they might be charging am arm and a leg - which we’d rather keep for ourselves. We usually end up at the very sedate club on Bourke Street where they do a very nice Banoffee Tart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, yes very much for the young and trendy. We may be welcome for lunch but certainly not in the later hours. The Southbank river side restaurants are not cheap but quite a few are not over the top. What is this club in Bourke Street? I do like a nice tart.

      Delete
  9. Nice to see so much life on the river. The new Arbory looks like a put-your-feet-up kind of place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It partly is Steve.There is plenty of conventional seating too.

      Delete
  10. I looked up the yarra botanica floating bar and food service and it looks like a lot of fun and relaxation. Do any boats ever bump noses on that narrow stretch of river?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PT, it is not narrow there at all. As far as I know, there isn't any bumping but there will be the first time.

      Delete
  11. That's a lot of people on a floating restaurant. I wonder is there a max number for safety? So it stays afloat is what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, whatever the number is, I am sure there would be a decent safety margin.

      Delete

ANZAC Day 2024

This is a somewhat different type of war song, about a war I can more closely relate to.  We will remember them.