Wednesday, November 9, 2022

A twin visit

Sorry that this is somewhat disjointed.

Fire Fighting Nephew and his wife went to see the treasured and iconic Colin Hay perform at the Melbourne Recital Centre. They stayed in a nice city hotel. I was amazed how busy the hotel was, but why was I there? 

They had a nice Asian meal at a popular place with friends in Flinders Lane. FFN's wife estimated there was 100 staff. They sat outside and did not have to listen to overly loud music inside. Ha, they must be getting old. I know my city but it seems only daytime. I don't know what happens in the evenings when the real me them comes alive.

Their twin five month old boys stayed with us, in our care along with their grandmother, Ex Sis in Law. 

FFN's wife who I secretly refer to as The General was so well organised, told us exactly how to care for the boys and what time they would wake, each different. She was exactly right about their waking times. One for a feed at 3.30am, with R and Ex Sis in Law doing the care, and a full wake up at 5.30 by the other. I did hear the 5.30 wake up and got up to assist do nothing as Ex Sis in Law had it all in control.  

There seemed to be so many baby containing things with wheels, even our spacious apartment was looking rather full. 

FFN and The General were about to leave to have dinner before the performance. FFN had already mucked up by dropping his keys in the street before they luckily after backtracking, found them. The next disaster was that The General had left the baby formula to make milk in their hotel room. Their car was parked here so I went with them on the tram to their hotel to get the formula. As I was about to enter our building R called, how far away are you? Ruben is raging and he certainly was. He was hungry and wanted milk and screaming at the top of his lungs. Once home, both boys were fed lots of milk from silly little bottles. I spent half an hour in the kitchen making up milk, warming milk in the purpose made machine, washing bottles and then sterilising them in boiling water. I learnt new skills. 

When I was on the tram into the city to pick up the formula, we passed by Hamer Hall and FFN said that is where we later attend to see Colin Hay. It must be around the back of the Hamer Hall. I asked what it said on his ticket. Melbourne Recital Centre was his reply. Oh laddie, you have it so wrong. That is around the corner, maybe 800 metres away.


Sunday morning between 6.30 and 7.00 I spent the whole time dealing with these ridiculous bottles. The boys normally have a mix of breast milk and formula, but it was all formula today. The larger bottles you can see were already filled with boiled and cooled water. I added seven scoops of powder to each bottle, gave it a good shake and put it in the bottle warmer. Then it had to be decanted into the smaller bottles. All the bottles had to be washed and then sterilised by boiling them in hot water. Old Shaky only scalded his hand once with splashed boiled water. At the back of the cupboard I found an  old milk jug, so I boiled some water and left it to cool in the jug as we seemed to running short of sterilised water but my effort wasn't needed. The General had correctly calculated how much sterilised water was needed. Apparently the boys prefer the smaller bottles to drink from. From the screaming of Raging Ruben, I think you could pour the milk into him from a bucket. I do not understand the need for all this nonsense and not just one large milk feeding bottle. 

The next morning the parents arrived at about 9.30 with take away coffees as a reward for our efforts. We chatted for a while, all left, R collapsed on his bed and I fell asleep in an armchair. 

But it was lovely to have the boys here. They look quite different for twins and it is not too hard to tell them apart, unlike their five year old twin girl cousins. They smiled a lot and it was quite fascinating to watch them.

32 comments:

  1. I love that you are so much a part of your family - across all the generations. And suspect that I would have crashed as soon as they had gone too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Woo hoo. This morning early I could not comment. After my shower I could.

      Delete
    2. The Stalker….HilariousšŸ¤£, Andrew, I reckon you and R are ready to adopt now you know how to sterilise the bottles . Good wishes

      Delete
    3. EC, family is something I have come to appreciate greatly as friends disappear for whatever reason. Your computer did not like that you had not yet showered?

      Delete
    4. Stalker, it was something we thought about it our younger years. With hindsight, I am glad we didn't pursue it.

      Delete
  2. It would have been a mad house if there were so many people in the apartment. Did you end up dining in Chin Chin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted about Chin Chin, Roentare. We didn't but FFN and his wife did and loved it. I walked Flinders Lane yesterday and was caught in a downpour. Some photos may appear in the future.

      Delete
  3. You now have mad baby feeding skillz.
    I was exhausted just reading about it all - you are good people to offer your home to such small, noisy human beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, yep. I know it all. R says we need a two bedroom apartment so there is no room for anyone to stay.

      Delete
  4. Take away coffees as a reward? You both deserved a night in a lovely city hotel, dinner and a bottle of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We forgive you the 'somewhat disjointed' part. That was quite an adventure. And now that you've got all these new skills, you can open up a business! Take on babies full time! Doesn't it sound like great fun??

    As an aside: Five months old already? Jees. Also: If The General hadn't have channeled her inner 'general', she'd probably have lost her mind about 4.5 months ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, no that does not sound like a plan for us.
      The General cried muchly when she found out she was having twins. Plans all went out the window. She and Nephew have done so well with the twins.

      Delete
  6. You had the twins for only one night? That looks like a week's worth of supplies. I agree with you about using larger bottles instead of small, unless the twins each only drink a small amount at a time? even then, just put a smaller amount in the larger bottle. I see "the General" has used the larger bottles for transporting the boiled water to be used to mix the formula, but why not pre-mix a daily amount in a large just, fill the necessary amount of bottles and store them in the fridge? I remember doing that. Forty ounces of water, forty scoops of formula, fill eight five ounce bottles, then at a later age fill five eight ounce bottles. Store in the fridge, warm as necessary. I never sterilised a single thing past the first few days, I just made sure to wash things in really hot water, rinse well and make sure ALL milky residue is scrubbed away. Not that I'm telling her to copy me, everyone has their own methods, but it does seem like an awful lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you River. If the milk was already mixed, would it be ok in the car for over 1.5 hours between their place and ours without refrigeration? I really don't know about how made up formula should be kept.

      Delete
    2. Made up and then cooled in the fridge, yes, okay to transport in an insulated container.

      Delete
  7. "in a large just" should be in a large "jug" stupid autocorrect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like many of your readers I’m feeling exhausted after reading all that…..and you had three adults to watch over two 5month old babies. You’re now have enough knowledge to write a ‘dealing with children - birth to teenage years’ manual. A must for aging uncles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I am terribly good at the theory of child raising but...

      Delete
  9. Does seem like a lot of mucking about, but the General knows best, šŸ¤”
    I do really thinks it's ever so lovely and sweet of the two of you to help family in anyway possible. All your family must cherish to both of you..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, family do include us and I guess respect us. Cherish might be a word too far.

      Delete
  10. Your comment on Cro's blog today concerning immigration is just disgusting. Shame on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curious. I did not say I approved of what was done. It was quite cruel in so many ways. However, it did work. What could be the solution for England then?

      Delete
  11. Those twins drink a lot of milk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, in my opinion they need solid food now. They are so hungry.

      Delete
    2. They don't get solid food yet??? No wonder Ruben is raging!

      Delete
  12. I am exhausted. You did well to follow all those instructions to the letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rachel, the instructions were so clear and so strong that even my custard mind absorbed them.

      Delete
  13. At least The General was very organized about it. What if she had not been? I don't think I could ever have managed sterilizing so many bottles. At 5 months, how much does each drink per day? Ah, growing boys, probably a lot. My sister in law spends most days now babysitting her granddaughter who is two. It wears her out. Takes a lot of energy to babysit babies and toddlers, kids in general. You and R are absolutely the best relatives a person could have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, what if she not been? The twins would have survived. We would have fed them in whatever manner. They go to crĆØche three days a week and continually pick up germs. We would be fine with them without the instructions. What happens, just happens. Just a guess, maybe two litres of milk a day, say half a gallon. I am guessing your sister in law is not young, so it must be hard work for her.

      Delete
  14. The bottles do seem like a lot of trouble, but at least you enjoyed their visit.

    ReplyDelete

Hair cut memories

A few days ago we walked down Russell Street in town from Lonsdale Street to Little Bourke Street and as we did, a memory kicked in. R, one ...